OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Somewhere, over the rainbow
Way down low
Lie the parts that my bike needs
Lost in Container Row

In the previous installment, dearest Melody was still caught in the quiet quagmire of service-department Purgatory, commingling with other bikes caught in the same cosmic situation. I, on the other hand, have been struggling with everything from figuring out how to get to various clients on a reliable schedule, dealing with having to mask-up for the better part of two hours on NJ Transit to get to Gotham (to everyone who regards wearing a full-face helmet as claustrophobic–and in some cases, I understand–that doesn't hold a candle to this), not to mention delays, missed connections and so on. Le Wife had a bit of a post-COVID scare, which has mostly turned out okay, but required a not-too-pleasant surgical procedure. I'm keeping my head through all this, really.

I've had tons of back-and-forth with my dealer. Indian/Vespa/Piaggio/Moto-Guzzi/Zero of Monmouth have been wonderful throughout, never once testy with my frequent check-ins for news about parts availability, and commiserating over my situation. But it's gone both ways: they happen to be in the position of selling more bikes than they can get their hands on, and to put it gently, they're not happy about that. Even their signature brand, Indian, is in crazy-short supply, which says a lot (none of it good) about the whole "logistics" thing, and how damned-near everything is effed-up from the pandemic. There aren't enough hands to get anything done, I'm told, for several reasons (which I'm not getting into, since it's inextricably tied into politics).

I did manage to fire off an e-mail to the Mothership (Piaggio) tonight, looking for answers to at least some of this. Three months off the road, I feel, is a bit much, particularly for a bike that isn't just a play-day bauble. Other stuff has happened as well: a few weeks ago, a retractable awning, which I had to scour the Internets far-and-wide to find, arrived at our doorstep, but it was only tonight that I got things together to assemble it and attach i to the side of the house where Mel would normally be parked, giving it that much extra protection from the elements. And it's the perfect size, too: 78"x47", just enough to cover the length and width of a GTS with a bit to spare, and well under $100 to boot. I'll consider the work involved in putting it up a form of occupational therapy.

And, the "therapy" part isn't trivial: I've been more than a bit bummed-out by the experience. But I've reminded myself that this scenario (and worse) is being played out all over the damned planet. We talk about how COVID has upended "normal", but too often it's been regarded in the abstract. Now, more us are in-touch with the non-normal-everyday this really means. And I'm in contact with people going through more-wrenching situations, which is more than just a reality-check for me. A lot of us have a lot to get through right now, some more than others. I, ever the guarded optimist, hope we will.

Supplemental: In something of a reprise to how I came to be in this position in the first place: I took off on one of my bicycles to (1) purchase a few extra bits I needed to complete the awning installation on the side of the house, and (2) to pick p a few items from the local Wegmans for preparing dinner; a good two-mile workout. After picking the necessary items up from the hardware store in mid-town, at the halfway-point to the market, I was nearly nailed by a woman in a Subaru Forester turning out onto the main avenue. After stopping within literally a few inches of me, she stayed well behind me (after I gestured a non-offensive-but plaintive "WHY?", then pulled up beside me and apologized profusely, stating that the was looking at traffic one way, but not the other. I calmly accepted her apology, gently admonishing her to "be more alert." Always a reminder to be vigilant, always.

And…this speaks to more than one thing right now:

Sea of (deceptive) Tranquility: Spot Melody.
Sea of (deceptive) Tranquility: Spot Melody.
Tonight's Accomplishment: No garage? Here's the next-best thing, nestled between two houses. (And retractable, at that.)
Tonight's Accomplishment: No garage? Here's the next-best thing, nestled between two houses. (And retractable, at that.)
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
Reflection.
As always, reading you triggers things that go beyond pure technique, in a moment you pass to a sentimental vision of the Vespa ... I would say almost mystical.
You are not the only one, many buy a Vespa because they are "inspired" and not even they know why.
Some discover it later, some are permeated by the aura that surrounds it and live immersed in it (the english does not render my words well, sorry), mine is not a criticism but a factual finding.
The images, in this topic, live under the effect of your words, they become three-dimensional and it seems to be in those places.
@chrisfromcle avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Primavera 150, 2019 Honda Super Cub 125, 2017 Honda Metropolitan, 1965 Honda Super Cub 50 CA102

Hooked
@chrisfromcle avatar
2019 Primavera 150, 2019 Honda Super Cub 125, 2017 Honda Metropolitan, 1965 Honda Super Cub 50 CA102
UTC quote
That awning is the bomb. Looks great.

I share your opinion that working with ones hands is great therapy.

Chris from CLE
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
I have a few I will not be using for a few months if you would like to borrow one. Of course, you have to ride it back to Jersey.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
Time to rethink buying either a secondary or temporary scooter (or motorcycle). You could be mired in the parts issue for a good long time and since a two wheeled vehicle is a work tool having one is not an extravagance.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/d/brooklyn-vespa-gt200/7367123081.html

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcd/d/brooklyn-2020-kymco-like-200i-limited/7361897369.html

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/mcy/d/yonkers-piaggio-mp3-500/7358323461.html

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/d/stone-harbor-piaggio-mp3-500/7363846978.html
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0121s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]