@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
Sometimes even I wonder what drives my biker brethren.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/529121/sturgis-2021-covid-south-dakota/
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:

In this instance I might offer "Kristi Noem"?
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
UTC quote
I thought they all died after last years rally? That's what my TV told me was going to happen... hmmmm...
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
UTC quote
see post below
⚠️ Last edited by Fudmucker on UTC; edited 1 time
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
I suggest an exaggerated opinion of what "freedom" means ?

One is highly unlikely to contract Covid riding the open road at speed.
Congregate in hundreds of thousands in one place and the Delta variant has the freedom of movement.

There is Freedom of Choice.
There is no Freedom from Consequences.
Kevin T wrote:
I thought they all died after last years rally? That's what my TV told me was going to happen... hmmmm...
The ones that didn't get it think they won't ever get it.
Those that did get it and lived think they are immune this year.
Those who did get it and died didn't tell anyone.

Seriously, this Delta variant is far more infectious and is not following CDC rules.

Anecdote:
A biker friend of mine worked with a female colleague in East London, South Africa.
She contracted Covid in March this year and recovered.
She took two Pfizer shots in late May and July.
She felt ill in mid-August and retested - positive.
Theoretically she was fully protected.
5 days later she was dead after ICU admission.

Vaccinated too soon after recovery is a possibility, thereby weakening her resistance.
Re-infection with Delta is likely.

Take care.
Social distancing helps you.
Masks help reduce infecting others if one is asymptomatic.

Exaggerated principles and ignorant idiocy does not help...[/b]
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
UTC quote
my wife has a good friend whos husband just died five days after getting a booster shot. he had a headache right after getting the shot. doctors said the headache was not a problem. the news would call this reaction extremely rare. me not so sure..the news also make a point to say hospital beds are full. the reality seems different. my wife has several nurse friends. some have had their hours cut in half and are struggling as a result. some have been laid off. they say the hospitals are empty. people are afraid to go to hospitals. they fear its the best place to be exposed to covid. I can confirm st. joes hospital looks empty by leu of the empty parking lots.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
Also in Italy there have been some deaths after the injection (also the second one) of Astrazeneca and Pfizer vaccines ...
Some people are said to be more susceptible to thrombosis and it is they who have serious problems and especially when they have deaths (correlation not proven with certainty).

https://corrieredelveneto.corriere.it/venezia-mestre/cronaca/21_agosto_24/alessandro-cavarretta-muore-tre-giorni-il-vaccino-indaga-procura-2340aa92-0517-11ec-b1d7-04a0a1da9bd9.shtml

https://www.ilrestodelcarlino.it/macerata/cronaca/morto-dopo-vaccino-1.6566262

https://www.ilmessaggero.it/salute/focus/vaccino_pfizer_uomo_morto_mezzora_arona_cosa_successo-5992669.html

https://www.ilgazzettino.it/nordest/vicenza_bassano/morto_mattia_brugnerotto_giorno_dopo_vaccino_pfizer-6122769.html

The problem is choosing between the almost certainty of catching Covid and having serious permanent damage (or dying) and getting vaccinated, catching Covid but certainly surviving.
Some vaccinated cases died because they were immunosuppressed or with severe physical frailties, the vaccine has a declared variable fallibility between 5% and 3% but in the percentage game this is acceptable.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I am actually surprised it is not much higher since Delta is so much more infectious than the first wave virus.

When you consider that, like in many places, Meade county and surrounding counties were already seeing a fivefold increase in cases in the month before the event it is really hard to determine how much the continued rise was added because of the rally. Some certainly but I think there needs to be more data before we can conclude the magnitude.

Once we have this data it would be interesting to compare it Chicago's Lollapalooza where they required proof of vaccination or a negative test for all attendees. So far there have been over 200 cases connected to this event according to the AP.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
The Sturgis rally started on August 6th. Pretty clear impact in the case data.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
UTC quote
My uneducated opinion is that whenever people are lumped together, indoors or out, for extended periods, vaccinated or not, there are going to be a large volume of cases. Proximity and Duration seems to drive infection. By example, what occurred in Provincetown MA was driven by those two vectors, proximity and duration. Large numbers of people went to Provincetown, many or most were vaccinated and they partied in packed clubs into the wee hours of the morning. And there were over 470 cases, with some 70% (I recall at least) being vaccinated persons. Of course few of those who tested positive were hospitalized which again promotes the efficacy of the vaccines.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
UTC quote
Its not just South Dakota... knuckleheads came from all over for their dose of Delta variant. They're taking it home to dozens of other states and a few provinces.

I'm as eager as the next guy to get back to a normal social life, but half a million plus in a small town is beyond pushing it...
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:
my wife has a good friend whos husband just died five days after getting a booster shot. he had a headache right after getting the shot. doctors said the headache was not a problem. the news would call this reaction extremely rare. me not so sure..the news also make a point to say hospital beds are full. the reality seems different. my wife has several nurse friends. some have had their hours cut in half and are struggling as a result. some have been laid off. they say the hospitals are empty. people are afraid to go to hospitals. they fear its the best place to be exposed to covid. I can confirm st. joes hospital looks empty by leu of the empty parking lots.
https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/we-could-have-avoided-this-covid-19-icu-at-st-josephs-hospital-nearing-capacity/
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
UTC quote
Fritz Katzenjammer wrote:
Its not just South Dakota... knuckleheads came from all over for their dose of Delta variant. They're taking it home to dozens of other states and a few provinces.

I'm as eager as the next guy to get back to a normal social life, but half a million plus in a small town is beyond pushing it...
One thing I've learned over the past 18 months is that today's denier is tomorrow's convert when the virus reaches them on a personal level. A club mate of mine was unhappy with our clubs' decision to cease "gathering" because it violated the local public health order last year. He got the virus, thankfully he and his wife are vaccinated, is recovering but now wants to return to remote club meetings.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Last month I spent a day in a hospital hallway waiting among a dozen gurneys to enter the ER. Staff was scarce and I discharged myself to go to to my regular doc. Having worked in hospitals, I understood what was going on and felt no anger. Medical care is a finite quantity not to be wasted.
Freedom can be a euphemism for selfishness.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
The kind of motorcyclists that visit Sturgis probably are the sort of people who would'nt want to be seen to be cowering to the effects of a virus.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
I agree.
Vanity, thy name is Man.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
Watched this earlier.

"I've never seen so much death in my career": Oregon hospital packed with COVID patients as cases surge"
Quote:
"Every day we see just the body boxes roll out one after the other and then as soon as we clean the room we get somebody back in there... It's the worst we've ever seen."

That's what ICU nurse Clarissa Carson told CBS News' Janet Shamlian Wednesday at Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center in Medford, Oregon, where COVID-19 patients have filled the hospital.

Shamlian reported constant turnover in the hospital's intensive care unit, but not because patients are getting better.

"We have patients waiting to get onto life support," ICU Dr. Somnath Ghosh said. "The turnaround is so rapid, it's pretty sad."

Carson said relatives used to be able to stay in rooms to grieve after loved ones passed as long as they wanted. Now, they have to be out in less than an hour so another COVID patient waiting down the hall can get in.

There's only one ICU bed available in the entire region.

Coronavirus hotspots have been popping up in the South for weeks, but communities in other parts of the country, including the Pacific Northwest, are also suffering amid the latest surge.

Hospitalizations in Oregon hit a record high on Wednesday. ICU beds are at 93% capacity statewide.

Oregon's governor has deployed National Guard members to 20 hospitals, and many health systems have canceled elective surgeries.

"These patients are on such tremendous levels of life support," Ghosh told Shamlian. "Once we stop that, they last less than a few minutes."
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/we-could-have-avoided-this-covid-19-icu-at-st-josephs-hospital-nearing-capacity/
so I was curious after you posted that. drove there to check it out for myself/ here is the entrances today/ 12:00 august 27 2021 (two days past the article that says there are ambulances waiting to drop off) I didnt ask if the one ambulance was even dropping off a covid. maybe somebody has another type emergency?

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

drove around to front entrance

from the news: "waiting, yes waiting to drop off" you be the judge. better yet. go get those shots. thats what they want.
⚠️ Last edited by jerryd on UTC; edited 1 time
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
There is Freedom of Choice.
There is no Freedom from Consequences.
Well spoken.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:
so I was curious after you posted that. drove there to check it out for myself/ here is the entrances today/ 12:00 august 27 2021 (two days past the article that says there are ambulances waiting to drop off) I didnt ask if the one ambulance was even dropping off a covid. maybe somebody has another type emergency?
You're veering dangerously close to promoting conspiracy theories, Jerry.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
whats a conspiracy theory?
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:
The earth is flat, the moon landing was faked, Disney created "Frozen" as a distraction so that you wouldn't come up with stories about cryogenics when you searched for "Walt Disney Frozen", Prince Charles is a Vampire, Jess is prince of the Illuminati, we're all living in the Matrix, Nickelback is the best band ever ...

That sort of thing.
⚠️ Last edited by seamus26 on UTC; edited 1 time
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:
This is not winning you any favor.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Quote:
The earth is flat, the moon landing was faked, Disney created "Frozen" as a distraction so that you wouldn't come up with stories about cryogenics when you searched for "Walt Disney Frozen", Prince Charles is a Vampire, Jess is prince of the Illuminati, we're all living in the Matrix, Nickelback is the best band ever ...

That sort of thing.
dang, wouldnt want to be that Facepalm emoticon
⚠️ Last edited by jerryd on UTC; edited 1 time
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Nickelback is the best band ever ...
Ahahahhaha ROFL emoticon
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:

drove around to front entrance

from the news: "waiting, yes waiting to drop off" you be the judge. better yet. go get those shots. thats what they want.
I hope I'm not alone in appreciation of the doctrine of "Trust, but verify". Thanks for using your curiosity and sharing with others. I am old enough to remember when journalistic curiosity was the norm. Anyway I wanted to say thanks for the pics without getting down into the weeds.

There is a fair bit of information out there to give us all more hope, but you have to look for it. Stay healthy everyone.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:
Most of the people entering/exiting/milling around hospital grounds are families and relatives. We have pretty much banned them from our hospital so there's dramatically fewer people to be seen around. It doesn't tell you much about what's going on inside.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Kevin T wrote:
I hope I'm not alone in appreciation of the doctrine of "Trust, but verify". Thanks for using your curiosity and sharing with others. I am old enough to remember when journalistic curiosity was the norm. Anyway I wanted to say thanks for the pics without getting down into the weeds.

There is a fair bit of information out there to give us all more hope, but you have to look for it. Stay healthy everyone.
Trust but verify was drilled into me noggin when I was in a much hated gov'ment job.
Gotta love oxymorons.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:

That sort of thing.
What about Elvis... you forgot Elvis.

And area 51.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Fritz Katzenjammer wrote:
What about Elvis... you forgot Elvis.

And area 51.
Oi! I've been to Rachel. It's all real!!!!
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
Trust but verify was drilled into me noggin when I was in a much hated gov'ment job.
Gotta love oxymorons.
It has served me well throughout the years! Especially when I was younger and still developing my horse sense.

Then again later as a parent! lol
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0260s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0070s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]