OP
UTC

1980 P200E

1980 P200E
UTC quote
After going into the electrical connections on my 1980 P200E to clean them up I now have an understanding of the "Green Wire Of Death" scenario that is going to plague my scooter in the long run. There are places under the headlight and electrical connecting box on the back of the motor where this green wire is. The insulation just crumbles off and the exposed wire is corroded and fraying so badly it's in place by a few strands and moving it compounds the issue.
Anyone know where I can find written and or pictures discussing a bypass through the bodywork to the horn location? I also remember hearing of bypassing the neutral light and kill switch. That would be fine with me.
My limited electrical knowledge is causing anxiety when viewing what I have. I apologize not posting pictures here along with past inquiries. Facepalm emoticon That knowledge is yet to be gained. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
You can give up your neutral indicator and connect the brown wire from it to where the green wire was on your key switch. At the motor end, use same wire to replace the rotten green(usually the outer) on the CDI going forward, NOT the green going into the stator. If all goes well, you're done.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

1980 p200e

1980 p200e
UTC quote
This worked for me. You can buy the wire kit to replace it from scooter west for like $10. It took me all of 30 minutes.
@scootnewb avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
P200

Enthusiast
@scootnewb avatar
P200
UTC quote
I'm a big fan of the Robot videos.
OP
UTC

1980 P200E

1980 P200E
UTC quote
Me as well. I've been studying this particular video so I can redo some of the wiring and connectors.
@hjo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Scattered remnants of (two!) 1974 Rallys

Molto Verboso
@hjo avatar
UTC quote
It's not so bad.

Just pull the whole switch out. The harness doesn't go very deep. Just to the junction box. You can drill out the pole on the switch, and solder in a new wire. Thread it through. That part is done.

If the one going back to the CDI is bad, it's a little harder. But might be possible to tape wires together and pull it through. I just replaced my whole harness. Prima makes them and they're around $70.

For the stator, there are rewire kits from Scooterwest. The hardest part is pulling the flywheel.
@hjo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hjo avatar
UTC quote
Scootnewb wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Robot videos.
Robot is great!! He was saying that he doesn't do a lot of vintage videos bc the audience is small.

But every one of those is so perfect. So happy he makes them.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0100s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0021s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]