OP
UTC

Piaggio Typhoon 125

Piaggio Typhoon 125
UTC quote
I had a no start problem and removed conical/diaphragm = bad move. The no start problem was a loose plug at rectifier.
Now Piaggio Typhoon 125 won't go over 35 mph. Runs good till it hits 35mph. Used to go 55mph before I messed with carb. Any ideas?
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
I'm confused - did you remove the needle and diaphragm and now you have the issue? Or are you saying you removed them to work on it, put them back in, but now there is an issue?

I'm not familiar with the specific carb (is it this one? https://oem-parts.hu/en/parts/piaggio/typhoon-125/2014/typhoon-125-4t-2v-e3-2010-2016-apac/engine-carburetors-components), but you definitely need the needle in for it to run correctly
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Your diaphragm isn't sealed/seated properly. Or the needle is hung up not set correctly. Or the spring is bound up on the slide and cover.

Take it all apart and do it again.

If the diaphragm is being pesky a little dab of grease helps to hold it in place.
OP
UTC

Piaggio Typhoon 125

Piaggio Typhoon 125
UTC quote
I took it apart again and put the diaphragm and needle back in again. It still won't go over 35 miles per hour. Am I missing a part? Shouldn't the needle have a clip for height adjustments?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
there is no clip or adjustment. needle goes in, the retainer with the prongs goes on top, then the spring goes on and it indexes both the retainer and the post on the cover. it is possible to jam it all together and bind the spring and thus the slide won't lift and you'll have poor performance.

my guess, though, is that you didn't get the seal on the diaphragm either between the cover or the carb body.

put it all together and shoot some air thru the inlet side of the port, into the diaphragm port. it should actuate it and lift the slide. if not, you don't have a seal or you messed something else up.

also, that's dirty as all get out. clean that mess up before reinstalling.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
You could have dislodged some of that dirt and it's partially blocking the main jet. Clean it all again - and then again! I had to clean my GT200 carb about five times after it'd been left unattended for eighteen months. Gawd knows what condition it'll be in when I eventually get back to Blighty for a visit.
OP
UTC

Piaggio Typhoon 125

Piaggio Typhoon 125
UTC quote
I fixed the slow speed problem by filling the groove in carb body with grease so that the diaphragm would stay in groove. Thanks Greasy 125 Clap emoticon
The original problem of a hard start and sometimes no start is back (I guess it wasn't the loose plug at rectifier). I believe it's electrical, possibly a weak spark. I will post a new thread for this problem after I try a new plug.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0100s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0022s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]