OP
@shaggy4241 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250ie

@shaggy4241 avatar
2007 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Got a 2007 GTS 250 recently. Just picked it up from the shop after having the standard yearly service.

On the ride home, the fan kept coming on really frequently. Like it would run for 15-20 seconds, turn off for 10-15 seconds then turn back on. Rinse repeat. Happened pretty much the whole ride home.

Was definitely not doing this before. In fact the bike is so new to me that this was the first time I've ever heard the fan come on (was surprised at how loud it was!), so it was somewhat alarming it was happening so frequently. Looked at the invoice and it said they did a coolant flush and replace. After sweating my a** off in a full helmet for an hour and a half, I haven't got the mojo to go out to the hot garage and pull off the coolant cap to verify everything looks ok in there.

But on the other hand, I also haven't ridden it on a day like today before... Pretty nasty ambient heat at 96° F with 80% humidity. Also extreme stop and go Chicago city traffic due to boatloads of construction, a few accidents, surprise road closures, and hey even a fire. To give you an idea, the shop is only 8.5 miles away from my house and it took me nearly 1.5 hours to get home.

In my experience, those seem like fairly extreme conditions, so maybe this is all totally fine.

Or maybe I should be worried?
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
Check the coolant before you ride it again. It only takes a minute, literally. Let us know what you find.

The fan was probably doing its job since you said it was so hot and you weren't moving. The fan noise surprises everyone the first time they hear it.

Miguel
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Given the conditions, I'm not surprised.

Check the coolant level to give you peace of mind - but I bet everything is AOK. If the coolant level is down, then it's just possible they f'cked up the bleed screw on the thermostat - very easy to do, and one of those buggeracious things dealer workshops have to grin and bear. If so, you'd see leakage in that area.
OP
@shaggy4241 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250ie

@shaggy4241 avatar
2007 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Checked this morning. Coolant level was totally full and fresh new blue color.

Haven't checked the bleed screw yet (that's under the pet killer right?). I'd expect to smell burning coolant if that was leaking, but I didn't. Still probably worth checking for peace of mind.

But at this point I'm pretty sure I was worried about nothing.

I'll report back if it's still doing it once the temperature here drops to a reasonable level.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0128s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0053s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]