OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa PX 125 Touring 2016

Lurker
UTC quote
Hi all, I wondered if it would be possible to get some advice from you regarding a suspected oil leak x2. In April I bought a 2016 PX125 Touring which has been great fun. It's barely done 400km but I've noticed something leaking onto the concrete it's on. I have zero mechanical knowledge so have no idea where these are coming from or why. I've taken pictures under each one and the oil can be seen but why it's happening I don't know.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love some help.
Thanks
Both
Both
Rear
Rear
Front
Front
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Most likely the front is 2T-laden fuel coming from the spark plug opening and/or the seal of the head on the cylinder, and the back is the same coming down from the carb box.

If that's the case, to be honest, I'd say some both are "normal" to an extent and you risk stripping or warping things if you go too overboard trying to prevent it. But you can check the gaskets in the carb box, and use a tiny film of high-temp gas-resistant liquid gasket at the head to cylinder mating point if you find that's the case.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
It sadly is a normal thing. There are no gasket sealants used during initial assembly so gear oil drops will form at the bottom of the engine case/floor no matter how hard you try.

The puddling fuel/2T will also be a normal occurrence. The carburetors used are an ancient design. They can loosen up/ poor tolerances/ float sticks etc etc and cause fuel to puddle and then drip.

Lastly, your fuel tank and oil tank are in the belly of your frame. The frame is welded to the floorboards with a few tack welds. These are not leakproof so any oil/fuel that drips in the belly will accumulate at the back of the floorboards/drip on the exhaust.

Just keep an eye on things, wipe up the bottom of the motor, top up your fluids from time to time and enjoy! It's still better than a twist and go!
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
Like my old British motorcycle shop told me one: They all do that, Sir.
Unless you have at least a tablespoon size puddle in a period of 24 hours, all attempts to fix the leaks will result in partial success.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Okie dokie, thanks everyone I really appreciate it 👍🏻
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0099s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0027s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]