@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
UTC quote
I found that the rattle that came on when the clutch was disengaged on the LML motor ( with a DR 177) in the '64 150S was because the rivets on the backing plate of the drive gear were loose so I center-punched and peaned them tight and solid again. Should be fine. It has a 23 tooth gear that meshes with a 66 and has 7 springs. I've been running this motor for about 12 years and only replaced the corks a few years ago.

Considering a replacement, I assumed the P200/Rally200 clutch or drive gear would be the one but it doesn't say how many teeth they have. I see SIP ( Cosa) clutches with 23 gears but I don't think I need a performance clutch in the bike. Maybe I am wrong...

I see what are listed as stock Stella replacements but one has 21 teeth and the other 22. The this crate motor I bought came with a 23.

I also found this : "DRT LF Clutch Drive Gear with 23T 7-spring". It also states : " This gear is compatible with 67 and 68 tooth primary gears and is for use in a 7 spring clutch. " and this confuses me. How can two gears with different tooth count mesh properly with another gear ? This just seems wrong to me as I thought the pitch,count, diameter, and spacing were fixed for a particular gear match. And, why, if it has 23 teeth, isn't it listed as being compatible with the 66 like the one I have ?

On another note, there is a slight amount of wear on the thick spacer washer where it contacts the gear. Can I flip it over ? Does it really matter which way the tiny bevel faces ?

Thanks.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Without getting specific on tooth counts, there is a range of tooth count combinations that work - some tighter and some looser, but they give you their ratio well enough regardless. I run a Cosa clutch in my Allstate with bastard 10" motor converted to 8" so it's geared all wrong. Really quick but too slow, so this helps with a bigger and TIGHTER primary gear that just barely fits because it has one more tooth.
Quote:
On another note, there is a slight amount of wear on the thick spacer washer where it contacts the gear. Can I flip it over ? Does it really matter which way the tiny bevel faces ?
Don't flip it!, Yes it does matter, the bevel is clearance for the radius in the crank shoulder so the washer is tight to the crank face and not riding that radius. The washer is hardened and can break if on backwards when you torque down the clutch nut. Nothing runs against the washer unless you shear your clutch key, it's just a spacer so you should be fine.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0109s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]