OP
@jmj avatar
UTC

2021 Piaggio Liberty 150

@jmj avatar
2021 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
What do you, guys and gals, use when you have to park your scooter outside? What are the tricks to make sure it doesn't get stolen?

So far I've got U-lock, hidden alarm and a grip-lock.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I have parked scooters overnight in over 40 states, several European countries and several islands without ever locking one.

And never had any issues.

Maybe Vancouver is a hotbed of scooter thieves, but I doubt it.

Lock it with a big chain if you want, but it is probably unnecessary.

Bill
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
On mine I have an electronic anti-theft device with a GSM tracker; if not disengaged, an audible alarm sounds and if it is not disengaged within two minutes, it blocks the ignition of the engine for one hour.
The tracker is activated when the alarm is activated and hooks up to the GSM repeater network (which in Italy are very many) and sends the position to an app I have on my phone. If the scooter is moved more than three meters, a warning will appear on my smartphone.
In addition, I use a disc lock with built-in sound alarm.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
UTC quote
Disc lock and AirTag
OP
@jmj avatar
UTC

2021 Piaggio Liberty 150

@jmj avatar
2021 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I have parked scooters overnight in over 40 states, several European countries and several islands without ever locking one.

And never had any issues.

Maybe Vancouver is a hotbed of scooter thieves, but I doubt it.

Lock it with a big chain if you want, but it is probably unnecessary.

Bill
According to our local scootering group, unfortunately it happens.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
JmJ wrote:
According to our local scootering group, unfortunately it happens.
Yes ... unfortunately also in Italy they steal many scooters but to take them apart and sell the parts.
@cmatts avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2020 gts 300 super sport hpe

Enthusiast
@cmatts avatar
2020 gts 300 super sport hpe
UTC quote
There's been a ton of motorcycle theft in nyc lately and i can't get out of the mindset I would have if i was locking my bicycle outside overnight.

So I cover it -
steering column lock
Ulock to my rear wheel -> chained to sign post.
Ulock through the front wheel around the suspension and through the cover grommet.

I've recently found off street parking in the rear of an apt building so I'm chaining to a utility pole now and leave the ulocks when im out riding. The building has a locked fence but the driveway gate is only locked with high grade padlock, but the chain could be easily cut.

I also have a disk lock in the pet carrier for when im out, but i use it maybe 30% of the time im out. Depends how long im parking and where.

I regularly see other vespas (in other "safer" neighborhoods) with out any locks, just the steering column. I also had a friend who parked a really nice bmw liter bike wo any locks or cover for quite a long time i think. But his bike was recently stolen.

I'm sure a disk lock wont stop the guys w white vans from stealing the bike, so its more of a nuance to me.

And yes the cover and 2x ulocks is annoying and fully adds about 10-15m to lock / unlock when im leaving /returning. But less annoying than having to get a new bike.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like you are doing the right things. If you are an iOS user it might be worth concealing an AirTag to at least help relocating the bike. Unfortunately here locking up a bike won't stop them trying to take the bike while you ride it.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
My neighbor 'hood isn't the best for bicycle/scooter/motorcycle theft but its far from NYC or Washington DC. If I leave my scooter out overnight I have a ground anchor installed at the bottom of my porch steps and I chain it down with a big Kryptonite chain and lock. And I cover it, only because I don't want it getting dirty. But it gets parked in a garage every night and I use my seat to handlebar lock (that was a PITA to install).

I just don't want some dumb kid punching my ignition costing me money and time, so I hope the locks deter them. Plus I don't always latch my seat because kids and/or bums will yank them open hoping to find stuff of value. I use a ScootR Logic under seat purse and just bring it with me if I leave my scoot in a sketchy place. Plus the ScootR Logic drink holders are great for hanging on the bag hook.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0126s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0065s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]