OP
UTC

Addicted
Joined: UTC
Posts: 959
Location: Planet Earth
 
Addicted
Joined: UTC
Posts: 959
Location: Planet Earth
UTC quote
I know smallframe vespas have the notorious duck fart horn, does anybody know if there are any improved ones on the market? My pk xl 75 is really duck farty but too quiet although it passed its MOT test. Would replacing the horn be the best move as worn out possibly internally or is there a better one out there? Thanks
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4317
Location: Veria, Greece
 
Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4317
Location: Veria, Greece
UTC quote
Since it's AC a new horn won't make a significant difference. Maybe a bit better but it will still sound like a duck. This was the main reason (and the SIP speedo), I put a battery on my P. There's a horn rectifier which converts AC to DC and then you can use a regular DC horn but it's a bit costly. PKs on certain markets had it from the factory cause a normal sounding horn was a requirement. Since it's a discontinued product by Piaggio, SIP and SC make their own. SC's is more advanced (has a USB charger output and an LED flasher relay)...

SIP
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/horn-rectifier-sip_99260200

SC
https://www.scooter-center.com/en/horn-rectifier-incl.-adapter-wire-bgm-pro-with-blinker-relay-for-led-indicator-and-usb-charge-plug-bgm6710kt1?number=BGM6710KT1
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
UTC quote
Weirdly, the horn on my ET3 is bold and clear and loud. It's my battery P200 that has the duck fart.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2537
Location: Siam
 
Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2537
Location: Siam
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
Weirdly, the horn on my ET3 is bold and clear and loud. It's my battery P200 that has the duck fart.
It's interesting that you say this. Of all four of my bikes (three large frames with each having no battery), my small frame 90 with no battery has the loudest most obnoxiously high pitched horn, which I love in hectic city traffic. Incidentally, my PX150E horn is the weakest sounding of all four. If the headlight is on, then it's louder.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7156
Location: So Cal
 
bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7156
Location: So Cal
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
Weirdly, the horn on my ET3 is bold and clear and loud. It's my battery P200 that has the duck fart.
Ditto. The AC horn on my smallie beeps loud and clear. The DC on the Soop squawks like a sick goose.
OP
UTC

Addicted
Joined: UTC
Posts: 959
Location: Planet Earth
 
Addicted
Joined: UTC
Posts: 959
Location: Planet Earth
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
Since it's AC a new horn won't make a significant difference. Maybe a bit better but it will still sound like a duck. This was the main reason (and the SIP speedo), I put a battery on my P. There's a horn rectifier which converts AC to DC and then you can use a regular DC horn but it's a bit costly. PKs on certain markets had it from the factory cause a normal sounding horn was a requirement. Since it's a discontinued product by Piaggio, SIP and SC make their own. SC's is more advanced (has a USB charger output and an LED flasher relay)...

SIP
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/horn-rectifier-sip_99260200

SC
https://www.scooter-center.com/en/horn-rectifier-incl.-adapter-wire-bgm-pro-with-blinker-relay-for-led-indicator-and-usb-charge-plug-bgm6710kt1?number=BGM6710KT1
Thats really interesting, its not too expensive really. Thank you for sharing. I took the PK XL for its MOT test at a hardcore Harley Davidson repair shop and dealt with the most obnoxious greaser ive ever come across who questioned the horn for the MOT. I told him to rev it a bit harder and it sounded more like a duck in mating season. Anyways, it passed so jobs a goodun.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4317
Location: Veria, Greece
 
Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4317
Location: Veria, Greece
UTC quote
ferriswolf wrote:
Thats really interesting, its not too expensive really. Thank you for sharing. I took the PK XL for its MOT test at a hardcore Harley Davidson repair shop and dealt with the most obnoxious greaser ive ever come across who questioned the horn for the MOT. I told him to rev it a bit harder and it sounded more like a duck in mating season. Anyways, it passed so jobs a goodun.
FYI, if you'll go that route, you'll need a different light / horn switch and some wiring mods to make it work...
@scootnewb avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
P200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 80
Location: Springfield, Oregon
 
Enthusiast
@scootnewb avatar
P200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 80
Location: Springfield, Oregon
UTC quote
If my horn was loud and clear I'd be working hard to get the duck fart back.
@modkuo avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 811
Location: 32° 37' 40" N, 117° 2' 53" W
 
Addicted
@modkuo avatar
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 811
Location: 32° 37' 40" N, 117° 2' 53" W
UTC quote
I love pulling up to the meetup spot and letting out a long hornfart.

It...so...goes with the scoot. Not safe for traffic but gets a chuckle or two fo sho.

Razz emoticon
@kevin_harrell avatar
UTC

Addicted
1980 Honda Twinstar and 2004 Yamaha V Star
Joined: UTC
Posts: 563
Location: Sabatus,
 
Addicted
@kevin_harrell avatar
1980 Honda Twinstar and 2004 Yamaha V Star
Joined: UTC
Posts: 563
Location: Sabatus,
UTC quote
There should be some sort of adjustment screw on the horn. Find this screw, play with it till it sounds better. Some sort of penetrating oil in the horn could help too.

This method helped my horn on a 6 volt motorcycle, and also, on some 3 volt bicycles.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0097s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]