@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
So, I've been riding most of the past 4 days. On the way down to meet friends for our annual Wisconscoot ride, I found my usual earplugs letting in what seemed to be excessive noise, particularly a low-pitched buffeting noise. Seemed predominately unilateral. Readjusting didn't help much, or for long.

My usual screen is a FACO midsize. The tall screen for colder weather is definitely quieter....so much that I rarely use earplugs. I like the midsize airflow, but definitely need earplugs.

At Wisconscoot I asked CubsKing what he was using and he showed me his moldable wax inserts and gave me a pair. They did help enough that I'm planning on testing them more thoroughly, but the sound was still present. Today, on my ride home, i got this epiphany about trying to test lowering the screen. Seemed counterintuitive, but an adjustable screen has it's benefits...it's not like cutting it down. So I lowered it about four inches, and the obnoxious noise pretty much disappeared. Yes, still wind noise, but much more tolerable. I think we have a winner. Maybe some tweaking, but I think we're close as we can get. I think the maximal extension put the airflow right on my helmet and lowering it puts it maybe at my shoulders. As I'm pretty tall, it's interesting what the situation would be like for normal people. Nerd emoticon I'm likely one of the few people that can look over a tall screen.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
By lowering the shield, I think you were getting a clean shot off air rather than a buffering, swirling mess of air. Just a thought.
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
When a screen pushes through the air, it creates a low pressure zone behind it.
Air curls around the edges of the screen to relieve that pressure and then the cycle starts again.
That is what is causing the buffeting.

You need a means to create a gap between the headlamp cowling and the underside of the screen
to let in steadily moving air to relieve the pressure gradient.
My Vespa midscreen did the same. I used the brackets off a tall screen by way of experimentation.
With a gap wide enough for my hand to fit through between headlight and screen,
I have little or no buffeting coming off the top of the screen into my visor. The stiffer arms of the tall screen also help.

A friend of mine had a similar problem on his BMW HP2 with an accessory screen.
We moved it upwards and outwards to create the air gap using rubber washers with longer bolts and the buffeting disappeared.
@arh avatar
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300

Hooked
@arh avatar
Gts 300
UTC quote
Fudmucker thanks for the clear explanation! That's also what I found. You put it in words.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0136s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0062s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]