@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
After fizzling last year, we rescheduled our SW Wisconsin ride for this summer thinking COVID had settled down enough to be a minimal worry. That didn't work so well, but the upper Midwest isn't the South, either.

Anyway, by popular demand, we rode out of Galena Illinois, making the title a bit of a misnomer, though there were suggestions of calling it Wisconillinoisscoot.

Officially, we ride out Friday afternoon, this year 110 miles, riding over to Dubuque, looking at downtown murals, over to an overlook several hundred feet above one of the locks and dams on the Mississippi. Then staying on the Iowa side riding north to a small ferry across to Wisconsin, down past the Potosi brewery, stopping at an interesting if not a bit bizarre religious "grotto" created in the 1920s including a shrine to Cristopher Colombus and a shitload of petrified wood and exotic stone/minerals. Then back to the hotel.

It had a few glitsches...I decided to arrive a day early to hang out and relax with a few othr guys that usually do the same thing, and also to do a bit of pre-ride in Dubuque to sort out some downtown navigation. There was a stop that we'd explored the night before (an historic tower). Less than 12 hours later the road was closed. So much for planning. Things went well after that until the grotto. Starting the scooters to leave, gitder's turned over but wouldn't fire. We couldn't sort it out easily, and as we were only 20 miles from the hotel and JKJ had a trailer, we opted for a rescue, leaving gitder to cool his heels on a bench in front of the church.....more on this later. Due to the late hour and dinner reservations, we left the scooter cool off overnight.

Next morning,we dug into it. As I hate spark plugs on Vespas, I suggested we go for fuel first...pump sounded turning the key, and I lifted the injector to see if it was getting fuel. Yep. On to the electricals....removed the cap, then the plug. All seemed fine, and I was looking down when Derrick exclaimed, "I think we found the problem" while holding up the entire lead. Turns out an earlier installation hadn't secured it and it somehow worked loose. Got it reinstalled, started right up, and we all rode off together. Put in 140 miles mostly in Illinois (remarkably hilly and wooded considering what the center of the state looks like). No problems, and overall a pretty successful day and event.

Personally, riding there and back, put on close to 640 miles.

Pictures coming!
⚠️ Last edited by fledermaus on UTC; edited 1 time
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
Dave organized and led a great ride. Here with some photos.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWvC737

Bob Copeland
Pre ride briefing for loop ride out from Galena
Pre ride briefing for loop ride out from Galena
Waiting for the Cassville Ferry to cross the Mississipi.
Waiting for the Cassville Ferry to cross the Mississipi.
Madison Sully and his blushing bride (who had all the Ride Tee-shirts made)
Madison Sully and his blushing bride (who had all the Ride Tee-shirts made)
Part of the riding crew from Wisconsin
Part of the riding crew from Wisconsin
Joe and his Yellow Vesap
Joe and his Yellow Vesap
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
About half of us rode at least several hours in to Galena. My ride was around 170 miles...I hit "avoid highways"on Google and rode. It was like Google picked the best riding roads. Yes, it took an extra 40 minutes or so vs. highway, but it was worth it. Curves, hills, great scenery. Just some miles near my home I could do without...but it's usually that way.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Unavoidable photo op...
Unavoidable photo op...
To be one of our ride stops. Bob Copeland would be proud....
To be one of our ride stops. Bob Copeland would be proud....
Galena is, er, hilly
Galena is, er, hilly
Lots of mid-19th C buildings
Lots of mid-19th C buildings
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Dubuque has done an awesome job of painting downtown murals. Too many to see on the ride, but we got a bunch.
Nice ride up the bluff several hundred feet above the lock and dam on the Mississippi.
Nice ride up the bluff several hundred feet above the lock and dam on the Mississippi.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully's blushing bride had Tee-shirts made for Wisconscoot 2021 to Galena Il.
My round trip miles were 785. It seems like rides become increasingly enjoyable as you look back on them. On the return trip to Minnesota, I had no idea how beautiful Hwy 52 was
traveling North between Dubuque Iowa and Rochester Minnesota.

Over and Out,

Bob Copeland
Wisconscoot 2021 - Brought to you by the famous Fond Du Lac Production 
Company of Langholff and Langholff LLC.
Wisconscoot 2021 - Brought to you by the famous Fond Du Lac Production Company of Langholff and Langholff LLC.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0492s ][ Queries: 9 (0.0246s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]