@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Maybe the reason vespa's have an oil filter is that people expect one? Honda Cub on the other hand?

There are Hondas I have seen with 185000 kms (115,000miles) still running.

Difficult to see from the parts diagram. Does Piaggio 150 have roller bearing crank?
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
Maybe the reason vespa's have an oil filter is that people expect one? Honda Cub on the other hand?

There are Hondas I have seen with 185000 kms (115,000miles) still running.

Difficult to see from the parts diagram. Does Piaggio 150 have roller bearing crank?
no, they're still standard babbitt bearings in the case, the cam switched to roller bearings with the 3V motor.
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
Mopedlar, from AF! Racing.

Burzetti Oil Filter wrench D49x14

Sku # BZ5110

$21.99
Thank you!
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
no, they're still standard babbitt bearings in the case, the cam switched to roller bearings with the 3V motor.
Ok, so this may be why Vespa has a filter and Honda does not.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
I have another example of Stromriders "long-stroke" post. In my youth I bought a mid-60s GMC pickup that was powered by a 305ci V6 engine. The bore in that engine was four and a quarter inches - think the plain, square, white ceramic tiles often found in homes, particularly big - builder homes. The stroke was nearly as big, at three and five eighths inch. That engine was really tall.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
I think many people skip the filter not because of cost but because it can be a mess when removed.

To prevent this I take some aluminum foil and make a trough from just under the filter to a catch container. It is also useful if you prefill the filter. Anything that spills when putting it on goes right into the container.

Properly snug up the filter, wipe the bottom of it with a rag, pull the foil and done.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
^^^

that's what I never understood. if you're pulling the plug to drain the amount of mess the filter makes is inconsequential.

also, when the filter gets contaminated there is a pressure bypass so that the dirty oil just goes right back on into your engine.

seems like a $10 no brainer to me
@bob_cowley avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250, P200E

Addicted
@bob_cowley avatar
GTS250, P200E
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
You don't need to ever change your filter, or oil for that matter, as long as you're using Rotella.
If we used Briggs and Stratton engines we would not need to change the oil at all.
From their website:

"With improved air cleaner seals, cooler engine temperatures, and high-precision manufacturing along with regular scheduled mower maintenance, the company's new EXi series lawn mower engine is the first that never needs an oil change."
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
UTC quote
Ultimately it's your motor so you can run the thing without oil for all I care, you paid for that right.

My bigger concern is: Will you be honest and forthcoming about what you are doing when it's time to sell your scooter?

My secondary concern is: If you will be honest and forthcoming, do you really think people are going to offer you as much as they otherwise would have?

I can only speak for myself, but if I was buying a used bike and heard the seller only changed the filter every other oil change, what I would be willing to pay for it just went down a lot more than the $10/filter you're saving.

If you're looking for a way to save money, forget the mechanical technical side of it, and looking at it from a purely financial and economical perspective, this still does not make any sense.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Bob Cowley wrote:
If we used Briggs and Stratton engines we would not need to change the oil at all.
From their website:

"With improved air cleaner seals, cooler engine temperatures, and high-precision manufacturing along with regular scheduled mower maintenance, the company's new EXi series lawn mower engine is the first that never needs an oil change."
We had to design an engine that didn't need oil changing because nobody ever did.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
^^^

that's what I never understood. if you're pulling the plug to drain the amount of mess the filter makes is inconsequential.

also, when the filter gets contaminated there is a pressure bypass so that the dirty oil just goes right back on into your engine.

seems like a $10 no brainer to me
I'd go further and say if you're pulling the exhaust to do a rear tyre why not do the oil and filter too.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
Bob Cowley wrote:
From their website:

"With improved air cleaner seals, cooler engine temperatures, and high-precision manufacturing along with regular scheduled mower maintenance*, the company's new EXi series lawn mower engine is the first that never needs an oil change."
*fine print in the owner's manual reads, "regular scheduled maintenance includes oil changes at x intervals."
Laughing emoticon

I don't know if it actually does, but it reminded me of the discourse around the new BMW "maintenance free" chains...that still needed lubricating.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
I'd go further and say if you're pulling the exhaust to do a rear tyre why not do the oil and filter too.
cuz then you can't charge for it later, duh!

all kidding aside, if you were a few hundred miles from an oil change, I'd go ahead and do it at the same time. if I were me on the wrench I'd absolutely recommend it so that they can save a few bucks on the labor.
@bob_cowley avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250, P200E

Addicted
@bob_cowley avatar
GTS250, P200E
UTC quote
Cheshire wrote:
... BMW "maintenance free" chains...that still needed lubricating.
Agreed - like when the car manufacturer says your automatic transmission never needs a fluid change, but the transmission manufacturer says it does.

Cheers,
Bob
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
Mopedlar, from AF! Racing.

Burzetti Oil Filter wrench D49x14

Sku # BZ5110

$21.99
Scoooter, I never used that silly slot when changing the filter on my Liberty.
First time and every time I just grab it gently with a large pair of channel locks.
When I replace it I use a rubber disc used for opening jars - give it a good snug by hand....if still not certain I put the disc on it and then snug a fraction with the channel locks. I have several of those slotted filters in my parts drawer. (always the first spares I buy, along with a new Iridium NGK and a belt, some new nuts for the CVT)
A Catholic nun showed me years ago how to get stuck lids off....even tiny model paint jar lids: wrap a rubber band around the lid, you can get it loose with your fingers.
So, no tool, no disc, no channel locks? wrap a couple rubber bands around the filter - you can get it very tight by hand then.

I suspect you remain the hi-mileage Liberty owner in the USA!....now that your "I'm selling it!!" funk cleared after that off you had.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Ride safe partner!
O.S.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0256s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0141s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]