OP
@shaggy4241 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250ie

@shaggy4241 avatar
2007 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Recently purchased a 2007 GTS 250 and have been working through some issues it has.

At the moment, I'm curious to know if, aside from bottoming out and leakage, is there any way to tell if shocks are worn out?

Here's why I ask: the bike just doesn't feel 100% stable. It tends to want to wander a little bit, especially at lower speeds. Not a dangerous amount, but enough to be bothersome. Basically, I can't relax into a ride because I feel like I'm constantly having to make micro-corrections. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to favor one direction over the other. It's hard to describe the feeling, but it's a little bit like riding in a mild crosswind.

Last night, just as an experiment, I adjusted both rear shocks preload all the way up to the highest/stiffest setting, and it had a HUGE positive impact on the handling. Bike still has a little bit of a tendency to wander but not nearly as much as before and it feels just much, much more planted. I finally felt like I could really lean into turns for the first time.

If it is the shocks, it seems weird because they show no outward signs of being worn out. No leakage. No corrosion. I will say that they've felt very "mushy" from day one but they've never bottomed out.

Bike has 10K miles on it. From information I've seen, shocks should ideally last a good bit longer than that. But it also seems like the previous owner rode it quite a bit because he only bought it 5 years ago and still managed to put 9 of those 10 thousand miles on it. So maybe the shocks are just getting tired from being rode hard and rode often?
@phaskins avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 250ie

Addicted
@phaskins avatar
2006 250ie
UTC quote
Sounds like you might have some swing arm work in your future.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
When I felt it was time to replace the shocks on Melody, I didn't notice any obvious signs of physical wear externally: no leaks or corrosion were apparent, but there was obvious (and rather frequent) bottoming-out which wasn't the case before, and I was never especially happy with how the front shock felt. After switching to Malossis front-and-rear, I'll just sat that the difference was not subtle, and certainly for the better.

That said, as phaskins mentioned, you might also have your rear swingarm checked as well.
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@shaggy4241 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250ie

@shaggy4241 avatar
2007 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Well, crud.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good mechanic in Chicago then?

I just got it back from the shop I took it to and I asked them to check out the handling and they said they "tightened up some things" and it wasn't doing it after that. Except that it totally is. I'd take it back and complain but it took nearly a month for them to even put it on the lift the first time and I'd really like to actually ride the bike I just bought a few times before winter descends on the Midwest.

I'd have rather taken it to the other officially licensed Vespa dealership in the first place since they only handle Vespas ( the place I took it does mainly motorcycles but also sells and repairs Vespas), but the Vespa only place said the best they could do is put me on the waiting list. Which is where I've been since the first week in July and still nary a peep from them.

If this is the way it is everywhere it's no wonder there are so many diy & how to posts on here.

Speaking of which, if I'm going to have to do it myself, any diagnostic tips for finding what I need to replace?
@phaskins avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 250ie

Addicted
@phaskins avatar
2006 250ie
UTC quote
This post might help.
Squirrely Rear/Back Wheel on GTV
OP
@shaggy4241 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250ie

@shaggy4241 avatar
2007 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
phaskins wrote:
This post might help.
Squirrely Rear/Back Wheel on GTV
Shotgun + no special tools approach. Anything I'm missing?

Swinging arm entire assy
https://www.scooterwest.com/swinging-arm-599246.html?qty=1

Silent block assy
https://www.scooterwest.com/silent-block-bracket-assy-gts.html?qty=1

Body to swingarm spacer
https://www.scooterwest.com/spacer-body-to-swing-arm-cm067801.html?qty=1
OP
@shaggy4241 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250ie

@shaggy4241 avatar
2007 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Since this seems to have moved in a totally separate direction, I decided to just start a new thread.

Speak out on the silent block
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0224s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0118s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]