OP
@adamjetski avatar
UTC

2022 300 GTS Super Sport - HPE

@adamjetski avatar
UTC quote
Hi Everyone!
Adamjetski here and new to Modern Vespa (first post)
I need some advise. Looking to buy my first Vespa and settled on the new Gt 300 models. I have an opportunity to buy a new (I think) 2020 Gts Super Grey Materia or wait to see what 2022 models bring and not sure when I will even be able to get my hands on a color I like.
Any advise or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Someone may correct me, but I would suspect the changes will be minimal in the next model year - so with that in mind I'd be inclined to buy when 1) the price is right and 2) the color is right. If it's a current year/whatevertimewarpweareinyear so be it. But everyone will have their own philosophy.

Being in NY, your riding year is about to get pretty sweet with Fall - and then shut down with winter. So it does feel like kind of a "either buy now or wait until spring" thing to me
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Buy now.
@rolledoats avatar
UTC

2021 GTS 300 Super Sport

@rolledoats avatar
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
UTC quote
Like others have said, I'd buy now.

2022 models are unlikely to have significant changes as there was a major update to the GTS line for the 2020 model year with the HPE engine. Inventory is also likely to remain constrained for the foreseeable future due to the pandemic. And fall weather is coming up which is a great time to ride but also the last hurrah of the riding season before the winter hits.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
rolled.oats wrote:
And fall weather is coming up which is a great time to ride but also the last hurrah of the riding season before the winter hits.
Come on now, these coming 4 weeks are almost half the season here!

Laughing emoticon
@rolledoats avatar
UTC

2021 GTS 300 Super Sport

@rolledoats avatar
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Come on now, these coming 4 weeks are almost half the season here!

Laughing emoticon
And here I was getting antsy when everything was covered in snow for just 3 months!
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
The 2022 models have the same peak power, but it drops off at higher revs compared to the 2020. So if you want performance grab the 2020.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
hard to know what the best advice is for you. I bought my Vespa 2012 in October when the new models were about to come out. For me it did not seem that for each year there was much of a change. They usually do not deal much on a Vespa but as I was willing to buy the 2012, and they wanted to get rid of the few they had left, they gave me a better deal which was actually throwing in add ons, that I wanted anyways, like a top box, etc,. so all worked out for me and I have been happy ever since. Still have my 300 Super and with minimal maintenance it has been great. Actually taking a long ride with a friend tomorrow, we actually ride every week weather permitting. Be good and be safe.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Mike Holland wrote:
The 2022 models have the same peak power, but it drops off at higher revs compared to the 2020. So if you want performance grab the 2020.
True. It is because of the Euro pollution regulations that become more and more severe over the years. So if they don't completely change the engine, it will get worse and worse.
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 ET4, 2007 GTS250, 2011 GTS250, 2021 GTS300 Supertech

Enthusiast
2001 ET4, 2007 GTS250, 2011 GTS250, 2021 GTS300 Supertech
UTC quote
Hi Adam. FYI the bike you've pictured isn't Grey Materia (715/C). It's a lighter grey. I just replaced my 10 year old GTS250 with one. I bought now because the colour has been discontinued for 2022 and I didn't like the look of the replacement colour. I prefer a lighter colour bike for visibility on the road so this one suited me fine.

[/img]
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@cmatts avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2020 gts 300 super sport hpe

Enthusiast
@cmatts avatar
2020 gts 300 super sport hpe
UTC quote
Think others have metioned this - the us 2020 model was the major updates w engine/lights etc. Wouldn't expect major changes for a couple years.

Think what your asking is really up to you - much like do i get this computer now, or wait ...

Would also consider the riding season. But if you just got your msf - I can sympathize with the itch to get on a bike asap. If you are interested in waiting - normally prices should dip in winter - but w covid and short supply/high demand not sure how that will be.
OP
@adamjetski avatar
UTC

@adamjetski avatar
UTC quote
Great info! Thank you to everyone who responded. I will let you know what I decide when I decide.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Life is uncertain - eat dessert first. Oh, and buy the scoot now and ride!
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Piaggio Liberty 150

Enthusiast
2021 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
What is this riding season I hear about? Can't ride year round in NY? I think you can! At least I hope to. It's my first year with a scooter of any kind and I hope to ride through the winter, except when there's snow/ice. Some years we get lots of it, but some years we get practically none. I bike throughout the year, with just a base layer and a long sleeve shirt/pants, neck covering, and cold weather gloves. As long as the temp is above say 25 degrees or so, is it really that bad? (I do like the cold, so maybe it's just me.)
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Wait and buy later or buy now.
You hear many opinions on this. Ultimately it comes down to this, you can't quantify the joy of owning and riding now and you can't quantify the joy you may get owning a model later in time.
What is better to ask is what is the net present value having this Vespa now versus waiting for something that you are not aware of that it will be different or not.
I think contemplating when to buy is not a good idea for the mind, better to make a decision and go for it, like others have said buy it now and enjoy it.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
so the riding season. Until recently I lived in the Chicago area and when it was cold riding was not fun. Even with a wind screen and the proper equipment the cold wind sucks the heat from you. But then again I am not a fan of the cold. Now living in AZ in the summer it can be so hot that riding is also not great, over 100 degrees is too hot for me to ride. We do get the occ day that is not too bad so try to get a ride in then. Overall though we have a great riding season here. But to each his own, riding is just a lot of fun, but being on two wheels when the ground is slick is not safe.
@mingridesbikes avatar
UTC

GT200

@mingridesbikes avatar
GT200
UTC quote
I for one really like that color! If you like it buy it! If you don't wait til you find one you like. Getting new you have much more choices than the used market IMO. I am not someone who wants to shell out close to $9k for a new Vespa, when a used one works just fine. But if I did buy new, I'd be picking the color I want for the money I would have to spend.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
100°F, before the Monsoon, is very comfortable for a ride. Give it a couple more years, you'll see. It took me more years than that, but I wasn't riding yet.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
buster71 wrote:
What is this riding season I hear about? Can't ride year round in NY? I think you can! At least I hope to. It's my first year with a scooter of any kind and I hope to ride through the winter, except when there's snow/ice. Some years we get lots of it, but some years we get practically none. I bike throughout the year, with just a base layer and a long sleeve shirt/pants, neck covering, and cold weather gloves. As long as the temp is above say 25 degrees or so, is it really that bad? (I do like the cold, so maybe it's just me.)
I was watching the news, it seems that right now we need a boat to get around NY ...
I hope there have been no major problems for the inhabitants of the Apple.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0168s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0058s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]