Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:29 pm

Enthusiast
2020 gts 300 super sport hpe

Enthusiast
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:29 pm linkquote
I've been up around Bear Mountain a few times, but this was my first in a group.

My ride to the starting point from Brooklyn was an attempt to avoid all the street closures for the 5 borough bike tour - that seemed to be everywhere. Luckily it routed under the Williamsburg bridge - which then I routed my self via the freeways the circle Manhattan - FDR drive -> West Side Highway.

We started out in Manhattan near 50th/11th ave. which is basically next to the Lincoln tunnel taking us across the Hudson river to New Jersey. The area just over the river is pretty hectic with roads trying to efficiently manage traffic to/from the limited crossing points. But with in a few minutes its calmer vs nyc/bk/queens roads. Well maybe calmer isn't the best description - there's less stopping every 500 ft, more riding.

It takes maybe half an hour from there heading north to start to feel like you are really out of the city. (or that's how i remember it). I found 9W via google maps as a route to Beacon NY - and it seems to be a good route to escape the city a bit with out having to go hugely far.

We stopped a couple times on our way to Bear Mountain - gas station to stretch our legs and lunch at Bear Mountain Pizza (think that's the name). We planned a stop at a scenic overlook by the GW Bridge but the road was closed.

The first half of the ride up was a bit drizzly. Likely just tire spray from wet roads. I also thought it was going to rain on my way to the initial meet up - these all are my sort first real experience riding in the rain. I'm sure there will be more in my near future with trips planned and less than optimal forecast.

Bear Mountain view -
Despite riding right past it 3 or 4 times this summer, until the night before I didn't even know there was a road that went to 2 scenic over looks (what are these places called?) on the top of the hill/mountain. So it was cool to see the view. I'm sure I will return.

The route back took us down Seven Lakes Drive - an especially curvy road that i read about on the internet. I previously tried to find this road but ended up on a turnpike or something. The road down the hill/mt also felt very different vs going up - a bit more fun, also a bit more worried about fall off the side of the road.

After Seven Lakes Drive, we took the bear mountain entrance road - also fun twisty downhill route - to r6/202. Crossing Bear Mt bridge - to - e v e n - m o r e - twisties - 9 south ? - at this point I was both like - yes yes yes, and omg, when will this end --- ha.

Eventually ended up on a minor freeway - to more major freeways - to toll bridges ... to wishing i had my phone/gps set to directly me home. I mostly can figure out my route home from bear mt bridge having done it 3-4 times. And the major routes all kinda have obvious signs to nyc. All the roads kinda end there.

But my phone case w the quadlock sticky on was starting to fail - the case not the quadlock sticky. So i was more concerned about losing my phone on the freeway vs getting lost on my way home. I expected more people to end up closer to nyc. My ride the the scooter club so far - return trips tend to be everyone pealing off as they reach a more direct route home. So by the end of the trip back to the city there was only a few people - we left the city with about 17. I managed find people also heading to queens adjacent to my location in Brooklyn, followed them the long freeway roughly around qns/bk.

Super fun ride. Was out all day but the breaks between riding meant that i wasn't totally wiped like I usually am riding to Beacon and back.

Think round trip it was about 110 miles.

---

This was also the first time putting my gopro on the front of my vespa, so there's still some learning to do to get more interesting documentation. I also kinda ran out of steam trying to edit the video down. Was on the fence between long uncut video - for people to skip around/forward though as they like - vs just snippets. I also considered posting to youtube as a 3 or 4 shorter videos.

There's no narration and I kinda just thought he music on there to keep it more interesting.

Open to suggestions to make this kind of ride video more interesting. Though I'm not super interested in attaching a gopro to my helmet. A 2nd rear facing camera or a 360 camera would be nice.

Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:01 am

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:01 am linkquote
cmatts,

Looked like a good group and a great ride. Your Video was super. It really gave
me a good look at your back roads riding in New York.

Suggestion. It is fun looking at the group. Maybe GoPro video on the gang gathering
around before the ride or at rest stops. I do like the music.

Again thanks,

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls MN
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:34 pm

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:34 pm linkquote
thanks, Yes having shots of the group would help - as would some though (vs almost none, ha) in covering more than just driving down the road.
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:12 pm

Molto Verboso
'13 GTS 300ie Touring, AKA Gigi

Molto Verboso
'13 GTS 300ie Touring, AKA Gigi
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:12 pm linkquote
Good job!

I'm with Bob, people make the video more personal, and it was fun seeing the bikes stretched out in front of you. The roads were wonderful, and all of the greenery was drool-worthy. If you watch any of my videos, you'll find zero narration, so that was just fine by me.

Next time the money fairy drops in to make a deposit, I hope to add a 360 camera to the mix. It will make showing points of interest much easier.

Tomorrow will be the first we will be shooting with the intent of making a video for YouTube. All of our vids up to this point were made using footage and photos taken before our channel existed.
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0267s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0076s) ][ Debug on ][ 209 ][ Thing One ]