Hope all are safe and well.

Cheers,
David[/url]
Vespa with sidecar
Vespa with sidecar
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '77 Jawa 350TS, '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '77 Jawa 350TS, '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
UTC quote
Been there, done that, it tried to kill me... my issue was too many bikes of too many types on the road at once. Left hand shift, right hand shift, down for down and reversed shift patterns, 3, 4 & 5 speed, plus a semi auto, and one with a sidecar... a bit stupid really. It was a 350 Jawa with a Velorex, i should really find and post a picture.

Anyway, DAMN... thats a nice rig you've got! Gets a man ta thinkin about doin something he probably shouldn't.

Thanks for posting... now post a few more shots.

Please, oh please!
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
I set up a Texas Via sidecar on a GTS 250 and ran it for several years. Sold now. Very few suitable sidecars presently available for scooters and even fewer folks around who will help you set one up. A sidecar is a bit of a handful for a GTS, let alone for a lighter Vespa. The weight is a workout for the CVT and brakes. The sidecar also tends to exaggerate the head shake that already occurs on the GTS under some conditions. You really need a hydraulic steering damper. And learning to ride one is an experience. The scooter does not lean with the sidecar in place so you steer it with your arms and by shifting your weight. Be careful in the left hand (edit: right in US) turns as lifting the sidecar wheel off the ground can lead to more excitement than you might choose.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by Dooglas on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Do either of these run a linked sidecar brake? My Jawa had the sidecar's brake linked to the bike's rear brake, even with crappy 6" drums all around it would stopped hard and straight if set up correctly and maintained.

And yes, learning to pilot one of these things is an experience. Nothing seems to work right! You're either running around the sidecar if you're on the gas or its trying to run around you because you cut the throttle.

I was once told its easier to learn to drive one if you've never ridden a motorcycle or scooter before, I believe it, as you'd not have any engrained skills to unlearn while trying to get used to driving a crab.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Aesthetically it is beautiful but from a driving point of view it is demanding ... a lot. Especially in sudden, heart-attacking braking.
Better a three-wheeler.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
As said a Vespa hack can be a lot to handle. A few of us here are sidecar owners though mostly attached to motorcycles. In my experiences it's the right hand turn that can cause the chair to fly. If that happens just roll off the throttle and it should come down. With practice you can actually learn how to fly the chair on purpose but yeah you want a big parking lot to practice that.

I love the look of a Vespa hack but would definitely want it as a second Vespa and still have one to ride.

Here I am out for my morning coffee as I type this.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
In my experiences it's the right hand turn that can cause the chair to fly. If that happens just roll off the throttle and it should come down. With practice you can actually learn how to fly the chair on purpose but yeah you want a big parking lot to practice that. is.
Yes, you are correct of course. The weight transfers to the outside on a curve, so there is a tendency for the hack wheel to lift when it is on the inside of the turn. I used to put a bag of lead shot on the sidecar floor when I was riding without a passenger.

And as far as linked brakes, my Vespa hack did not have them. A scooter hack is much lighter than the hack on a Ural so it is not so pronounced an issue. I see new Urals have a disc on the sidecar wheel. My old Ural had drum brakes which had some tendency to get out of adjustment and overheat or not work very well. Not fun when the sidecar tries to pass the bike when braking. .
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
I used to put a bag of lead shot on the sidecar floor when I was riding without a passenger.
I had a P200E with a California Side Car and I would carry a 50 lb bag of sand when riding solo. Sand is cheaper than shot so I could leave it behind if I picked up cargo or a passenger.

I rigged up a steering damper from a Beetle and that changed it from undrivable to a chore to drive.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
You need a wide set of handlebars on the scoot, which Vespas don't have. You will also burn your way thru front tires (and clutches on an old scoot with manual gears). That said, I had a BMW Airhead with a hack and was interesting, to say the least. It really was great when the weather turned bad and it gave me a little more bulk on the road which helped with the cagers. It was slower of course, but where it really shined was at any kind of motorcycle gathering. There was always a line of ladies that wanted a ride in that sidecar. But that was 40 years ago...damn I got old.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0243s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0063s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]