OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 GTS 300 HPE

Enthusiast
2021 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Hi all -

I'm installing my Vespa rear crash bars on my 2021 GTS.

I did the same on my 2018 GTS no problems.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get the bolts on the mounting bar to tighten against the frame. I don't know if they are stripped or if I'm doing something wrong with the locking nuts.

I can't even get them out of the holes now - or to tighten against the frame.

Any tips?[/img]
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Very much stripped. Back off the jam nuts and pull down on the bolt heads with pliers while gently turning them out. Don't strip the threaded bracket or you'll be in worse shape. Tighten the new bolts with the jamnuts backed off. Then bring the jamnut against the bracket.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 GTS 300 HPE

Enthusiast
2021 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Thanks! I took it all off. Love this forum!!

I contacted Scooterwest - they've been awesome. I think a new mounting bracket is needed. The bolts were screwed from beginning - and the welding was either off or holes drilled wrong on the tube part.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
And I would hesitate to call those crash bars, more like paint protectors if some one was to bump the scooter with the car door or something while it is parked.

I will say the ones on wife's GTV did protect it the one time she laid it down while parking on very uneven ground. She was just at the wrong spot and when she went to put her foot down there was nothing within reach.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 GTS 300 HPE

Enthusiast
2021 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I had them on my 2018 GTS - was rear-ended and they saved me a ton of damage. So yeah - I think the manufacture description is apt.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
The Vespa bodies have a higher degree of tolerance than what most people expect from modern manufacturing, and they crash bars do too. It's not uncommon to need to do a bit of cold press technique to make them fit.
It looks like someone cross threaded a bolt.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
aftermarket and factory accessories can vary wildly in production tolerances. often times a bit of brute force is needed.

but here, that's straight up dripped my dude. hopefully it's just the fastener and not the bracket!
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Quote:
often times a bit of brute force is needed.
Such as ...
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 GTS 300 HPE

Enthusiast
2021 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I was able to get the stripped bolts out gently pulling and twisting with pliers. I tried replacing with new bolts and they aren't going in. It's almost as if the threads on the holes are somehow screwed up. The bracket doesn't come separate from the crash bars. I've emailed scooterwest, I'm assuming they will replace. They've been great to deal with in all previous experiences.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0271s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0073s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]