OP
@ghiros avatar
UTC

'80 P200E

@ghiros avatar
'80 P200E
UTC quote
My main issue right now is that on my 1980 P200E the battery isn't charging (and hasn't since I bought the scoot).
I am pretty sure that the regulator is the problem (stator Ohm readings are good, but no voltage at the battery cables with engine running).
But it looks like the wiring overall isn't quite right.
The connectors on the pink, as well as the white&blue/purple cables look melted, but to me it seems more like a glue-gun job.
The cabling is also funky in the head (2nd pic). There are two combined white cables that are not currently connected, but I have no idea where they go or what they do.

My question is - would I get away with replacing the regulator or would it make sense to replace the wiring harness? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Arrow points to two combined cables that are not attached
Arrow points to two combined cables that are not attached
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Your wires look pretty good, so it probably be worth your time to find the right wiring plan - Scooterhelp.com can help with this. Running a new wiring loom in a P series is slow death - don't do it if you don't absolutely have to.
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
I would not get a new wiring loom but the fix will take some time. Will need to know/learn how to read a wiring diagram, how use a multi-meter, and how to add connectors on wires. If you think adding a new loom is easier, go that route.

The wires under the headset are janky at best but very fixable. Did you notice the blue twist wire connector that's not made for outside electrical use. That's not right. That blue wire is for the front brake switch but has an extra wire connected to the key switch. The disconnected white wires are from the front brake switch too. Don't need those wires but should connect correctly. There's other wire in there that's questionable, too.

The battery side is jacked up, too. That regulator is wrong and you will need this. https://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Regulators/160767_2 The wires you mentioned have been modified and need correction to work properly. There's other wire in there that's questionable, too.

If you decide to fix it, we can walk you through the process by using this diagram http://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/wiring/VSX1T.USA.before.pdf

https://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Regulators/160767_2
OP
@ghiros avatar
UTC

'80 P200E

@ghiros avatar
'80 P200E
UTC quote
Thank you, guys! That sounds promising and like fixing is the way to go then.
I'm pretty much a novice - especially when it comes to electricity. Willing to learn, though, and I'd like to think I can follow instructions.

rowdyc, what you are saying about the cables for the the brake switch makes sense, because I actually don't have one. I assume it was removed when SIP adjustable sport levers were installed.
Thanks for pointing me to the right regulator! Regarding the diagram - are you saying I would use the 'before 1979' one, because I have two yellow stator cables?

Oh, and there are also some other things going on with the head: right now my turn signal indicator is always on, but the lo/hi beam one doesn't work at all. And he speedo illumination doesn't work, as well as the neutral light. All of that is really secondary, as it doesn't interfere much with riding.

How would I go about starting to fix all this then?
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
I would start by unplugging each component in the headset, junction box and battery side and try to identify each wire in the wiring harness. Take pics too. For whatever reason, things have been changed and before correcting, knowing what wires are what is a start. Will need a multimeter after disconnecting the components. Using continuity and the diagram can help to tell which wires are what and where they go.

An uneducated guess is the wires were changed due to a bad green wire and other wires were used as a kill switch wire. Also, someone may have tried to adapt that incorrect regulator to work with the bike's wiring harness. Just a guess though.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
Regulator is correct according to the diagram. Double Gs for yellow wires, pink goes to B+, purple / white to C and it needs the ground / black wire connected. Kokusan regulators are crap, try to find a Ducati one…
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
Regulator is correct according to the diagram. Double Gs for yellow wires, pink goes to B+, purple / white to C and it needs the ground / black wire connected. Kokusan regulators are crap, try to find a Ducati one…
I've never seen those regulator work with North America early P200's with double yellow wire stators. To my knowledge, the double yellow regulator is no longer in production by Ducati. I don't think those regulators flow/setup like the original regulators as seen in this schematic.
http://www.vespamaintenance.com/elec/charger/index.html

There are substitutes but not from Ducati .
https://www.scooterwest.com/p-regulator-for-1977-1979-p125x-p200e-218060.html
https://www.scooterworks.com/12-Volt-4-Pole-Rectifier-P2343.aspx
https://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Regulators/160767_2
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
UTC quote
It's really strange that it doesn't work though. I have retrofitted the same regulator on my P that had no battery and it works exactly how your link describes. Gs are basically AC input / AC regulated output, B+ goes to battery and C gets the 12V DC "sense" from main switch when in ON position. Anyways, surely your market's Ps are way different from ours and parts although identical, are probably different…
OP
@ghiros avatar
UTC

'80 P200E

@ghiros avatar
'80 P200E
UTC quote
rowdyc - sounds good. I hope I'll have time to sort out the cables soon.

@all - so which regulator should I get then?
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
Is that not an aftermarket loom anyway? Looks way to tidy for a 1980 bike and has very tidy looking labels on the wires?

I'd be sitting down with a wiring diagram and multimeter and checking everything.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0296s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0072s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]