OP
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
A couple of seasons back I had some Heidenau K58s put on the ZNEN and I could not get them to balance. I had them taken off and different tires put back on.

This is what the bead looked like when I brought the tires home. Shame on me for not screaming at the time, but could this cause them to not balance after they're mounted? I'm thinking of putting them on the Stella, but I thought I'd ask before I even try. They quite literally have less than 250 miles on them.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Personally, I would NOT put this on my bike. Period
Miguel
⚠️ Last edited by Miguel on UTC; edited 1 time
@beech avatar
UTC

2021 Premavera 150

@beech avatar
2021 Premavera 150
UTC quote
Whomever worked on this tire last trashed it. Toss it and don't buy Heidenau tires. Way over kill for a scooter. I change tires on BMW bikes, the guys who bring in there GS machines and want Heidenau tires on them I shake my head and ask why. The sidewalls are iron. They are just over kill and cause many problems like you have or even damaged rims on your wheel. On a 12" rim, geeze.
@rottekatz avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
@rottekatz avatar
Primavera 150
UTC quote
beech wrote:
Whomever worked on this tire last trashed it. Toss it and don't buy Heidenau tires. Way over kill for a scooter. I change tires on BMW bikes, the guys who bring in there GS machines and want Heidenau tires on them I shake my head and ask why. The sidewalls are iron. They are just over kill and cause many problems like you have or even damaged rims on your wheel. On a 12" rim, geeze.
What tires do you run on your scooter?
OP
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
I did find THIS link on a dirt bike forum. His tires looked about the same.

I did notice for the short time I rode them, they were really hard. So, thanks for the confirmation.

The reason I'm considering using them is simply for winter riding. The deal is the Stella has 9 year old whitewalls that are bluewalls because the PO painted the bike with spray cans and a brush. Also the tires. So I'll be buying some nicer tires - either some City Grips or S1s - and some better looking rims for summer riding, and I thought I'd throw the Heidenaus on the old rims for winter. At that point I'll have them and extra rims anyway.

I'll give "rebending" them a shot and follow up later.

Thanks again.
@retro_scoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS300 HPE "Whiskers"

Hooked
@retro_scoot avatar
2020 GTS300 HPE "Whiskers"
UTC quote
That damage could have been done during mounting and the bead may never have seated properly thereby creating a vibration or out-of-balance symptom. Or it may have been done when the tire was removed. Either way - a sloppy job and the bead (generally steel cable) may be damaged and compromised. I wouldn't use it again.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Odd man out - If you are putting on a Stella, which has split rims and a tube, it would be easy enough to put it on the spare to see if you can get the bead to seat. If not, then I would bin them. Honestly, I never bothered to balance a 10 inch wheel, not really worth the trouble for a tire that would never see much over 50 mph. This is on a older 2T Vespa.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
beech wrote:
I don't find them any more difficult than Michelin's to mount. Dunlop and IRC can be a little tricky.

either way, you just can't be a gorilla. tires are like life: lube, pressure and angle of attack.
(also helps if you warm them up and have the right tools for the job)
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
I'm with T on this one. if you can get them to seat on the rim, they'd probably be okay for winter riding. otherwise, make planters out of them!
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
I had gone thru three front and four rear Heidenau tires on my 2009 GTV before it was totaled at 19k miles. I had no problems with them and they ran flawlessly. I always had a local shop mount them for me. Ultimately, I bought a balancing tool and balanced them myself tho. It was easy.

Now my only ride is an 2001 BMW R1100RT touring bike with 112k miles on it. At the moment, I need to replace the tires and I'd been looking at tire changing videos from a well known BMW mechanic on YouTube by the name of Chris Harris. If you own a BMW from the early 1990s - mid 2000s, you will know Chris' name. This video shows him changing tires on BMW rims without a lot tools or machinery - skip ahead to 3:10. Chris is a classic New Englander and swears a lot to emphasize his talking points, just enjoy it and don't be turned off. The same technique will work on Vespa rims I believe. I'm not advocating you change your own tires necessarily but am advocating you educate yourself on how MC/scooter tires are changed so you understand what your mechanic is telling you. And if your bull-shit meter goes sky high when talking to the shop before having them change your tires, you'll have some basis in understanding why. Just sayin'.

Miguel
OP
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
Since they're paid for already I'm going to try straightening the bead a little with some wood clamps and mount them up. Just monkeying with them last night (I was working on a cabinet door in the camper, hence the wood clamp ideer) I made some progress.

If they're horrible they will be the perfect accompaniment to the horrible wheels that are already on the bike.
OP
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
This has been shared before, but - even though it's incredibly helpful - it made me laugh.

"Step one - run over your tire with a Jeep."

DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0246s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0023s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]