UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
I am living in Belgium, Europe.
Normally we have here a moderate winter. Not too cold, not much snow.
In winter whenever in the weekend the weather conditions are reasonable: not freezing, no rain, no snow I take the scooter (a Beverly 300) out for a ride.
My main problem in winter is my hands getting cold.
I plan to buy heated gloves. I think of Gerbing battery heated gloves.
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150

Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
No! I am old, fragile and have arthritis in my hands along with the usual problems caused by working manual labor most of my life. So, it's not safe plus central Illinois winters mean ice, freezing rains, snow and some damn cold spells. I wish I was tough enough as I am only 2 miles from work, bikes have up front and close to the entrance parking and my rides get at least 70mpg so riding saves the planet, and saves me $$, plus I don't pack lunchbox very far when I ride.
UTC

UTC quote
I live in one of the nordic countries. When I was younger I used to drive my 50cc enduro also in the winter. -30C (-22F) was the coldest weather I experinced.

After 30min driving I could not straighten my frozen fingers even I had 3 pairs of different kind of gloves on.

It has been many years since those moments. So this winter I am going to ride again no matter how cold or snowy it will be.

Of course it would be easier to start my car with heated seats and stay away from freezing winds but I kinda like extreme weather and riding in it.

I already have my winter tires waiting to be mounted. Maybe I put some protective coating for my Vespas paint because it will make easier to wash all the road salt away.

Anyway I am going to update my winter experiences here as soon as the winter arrives.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
WWespa wrote:
I live in one of the nordic countries.
How far north ..?
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 GTS 300 HPE

Enthusiast
2021 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
like many - precipitation is the line. cold weather isn't really a concern for me. I only commute 6-8 miles and it's only 35mph in town.

my thermoscud (sp?) makes all the difference, and of course appropriate winter clothing for wind chill temps in the single digits.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '77 Jawa 350TS, '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '77 Jawa 350TS, '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.
UTC quote
I'll ride in the cold down to a few degrees below zero if the road is clear and dry but draw the line at riding in the snow or on ice.

I rode through one winter when in my teens, except for one week when the bike was being repaired (from crashing heavily in a snowstorm) By spring the bike was a bent wreck, the salt had eaten the chrome and I was a slightly smarter man.

I clearly remember sliding down a snow covered road on my back while watching bits of flying glass glinting in the streetlights, I was thinking "dammit, I just put that mirror on"... Never again.
UTC

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
UTC quote
Winter of course! regardless of where I lived and worked. My P series 2 stroke my ride of choice for Elephant Rally. It worked well on snow....I have no idea of how the new 4 stroke rubber band drives do----Proper professional quality riding gear necessary as well as working windshield. Salt is bad. For summer, Stella Alpina in Italy, my 150 worked well in the dirt going up the mountain, but sure got dirty.
UTC

UTC quote
Attila wrote:
How far north ..?
700km south from The Arctic Circle
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
WWespa wrote:
700km south from The Arctic Circle
So you are in Spain... ROFL emoticon
UTC

UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
So you are in Spain... ROFL emoticon
Unfortunately I am not there Crying or Very sad emoticon It is over 4000km to Spain
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
WWespa wrote:
Unfortunately I am not there Crying or Very sad emoticon It is over 4000km to Spain
Wait a minute... You said:
Quote:
Anyway I am going to update my winter experiences here as soon as the winter arrives.
Only kidding... I just thought it was funny that a member did ask you where you are located (presumably wanting to know the name of the town or at least the country) and you reply with a silly mileage...

Perhaps you want to keep your location as a secret.. It's ok..
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Let's just say that Winter riding is for the dedicated. Especially here up North.

I typically ride year-round. This used to include snow, but I've now dialed it back a bit: if roads are dry, and temps generally above freezing, it's all-systems-go, but any noticeable snow/ice and the bike stays parked. I've ridden in 40ºF temps between the Jersey Shore and Gotham/NYC (roughly 50 miles) without terrible discomfort, but that's with proper preparation (thermal undies as base layer, decent secondary layer, touring jacket with zip-in insulated liner, heated gloves, handlebar mitts). Yes, people seeing me out on the road in December likely think I'm nuts, but I don't care.
The Night Ol' Melody Low-Sided: Or, the last day I did any snowy riding.
The Night Ol' Melody Low-Sided: Or, the last day I did any snowy riding.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
So it's better to travel on the snow than to make love, it's less risky.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Yes, people seeing me out on the road in December likely think I'm nuts, but I don't care.
I confirm, you are crazy but aware ... It is a mitigating factor.
@scooter10s avatar
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black

Hooked
@scooter10s avatar
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black
UTC quote
As long as roads are dry and above generally above freezing (and no possibility of hidden "black ice"), I'll ride all winter, just dress for it.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Yes, people seeing me out on the road in December likely think I'm nuts, but I don't care.
Yeah we are nuts to many, I ride year round, as long as there isn't snow on the road I'm good to go.
Do I enjoy riding in the cold? Nope, I dislike it but I'm riding not for fun but as a function of commuting and or running errands etc.
I have found for me the heated grips with the Muffs are the best thing as my fingertips freeze.
It will get cold for riding starting late October here in NYC. Ill put on the winter accouterment for the Vespa i.e. Muffs, Termoscud(leg cover) and the windshield will go back on. With that and wearing a Jacket and my Saint James sweater are good to keep me warm even at 20-25F that I have ridden, granted it isn't riding for hours I am riding for 45 mins or so at speeds maxing out at 45mph.
Making sure the tires are ok i.e check tire pressure more often helps. Cold weather riding tends to make me stay sharper maybe cuz the air is cold and crisp.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
I actually enjoy watching those faces, thinking, some of us are busy living, while others...
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
22° on the ride in this morning.

Mittens on, packet of Ramen in my pocket ... all the makings of a good day at work.
@feb31st avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250, Sprint 150 & HPE Tech

Addicted
@feb31st avatar
GTS 250, Sprint 150 & HPE Tech
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
For years I ran through the winter on Heidenau K66 LT Snow Tex tires. They were great in loose snow, slush, an on dry pavement.
I did two full winters in Eastern Pennsylvania on a GTS 250 between 2007 and 2009 commuting. My then GF (now wifey) had a Honda Civic that we used on the weekends together so it wasn't 100% scooter. I also used the Heidenau K66 LT Snow Tex and put on a giant windscreen for December -> March. My daily work commute riding was secondary roads, no interstates or anything requiring high speeds. It was fine. Warm hands and dry feet go along way!

Freezing rain road conditions were always a little sketchy but its not hard to plan around that? Snow was preferable. We had a hot water hose hookup at that home so it made it easy to spray off slush and snow build up.

Riding is as a safe as you make it - just stay home if conditions are not for you or catch an Uber if they unexpectedly change.
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS300ie

Enthusiast
GTS300ie
UTC quote
Nope. I only ride my scooter for fun and riding in winter weather is not my idea of fun. Done that enough in my motorbike years when i had no choice and i hated it.
@axman88 avatar
UTC

Stella 4T, 2011

@axman88 avatar
Stella 4T, 2011
UTC quote
I rode today, yesterday, and every day last week. If it's:
- not precipitating, and
- above 28 deg F in the morning, and
- there's not a lot of salt residue on the road,

I'll do my commute on one of my two wheelers. But, it's only 5.5 miles, urban, each way, so this is no epic adventure.

The huge benefit to riding, vs. driving, is I don't need to find parking for my car at the end of the work day, which can be quite a challenge in Chicago in winter.

Seems to me that winters are mellowing. Today is the winter solstice, and it will be in the low 40s F here, which I consider fine riding weather.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
I do admire you hardy souls who hit the scooter trail during the Winter.

Here in Frost Bite Falls Minnesota it is a one way ticket to the Hospital Emergency
Room with a broken wrist or ankle. You also get the benefit of sitting in the
emergency room with every case of Covid in town.

The term for two wheeling in Minnesota is "Double Dumb on a Duck".

Again, I envy you folks in milder climates. If you want to simulate the Minnesota
experience - take you scooter out a ice skating rink and go for it.

The next question - what the heck am I doing in Frost Bite Falls?

Bob Copeland
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
UTC quote
Year round baby!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
Adner_Bjorn,

I had the opportunity to live in Denver for four years (Company Transfer).
I loved it - great place.

If my memory serves me correctly - semi arid desert area. When it did snow,
I shoveled the drive way in my shorts with a sweater. The snow was so void
of moisture, it routinely evaporated and was gone in a day.

The Winters were so mild, Denver had little to no snow plow trucks. Whenever there
was a significant snow event, the entire town was paralyzed even to car traffic.

There was a slight incline on the main street in Littleton heading South. In the
occasional big snow drop, without Plow trucks, no one could get up that street
even with four wheel drive. Without trucks to plow, vehicles would compact the
snow to a slippery point that it was impassable. Despite this, it all melted away
in a week.

The mountains above Denver are obviously different.

In Minnesota we have a massive budget for snow removal, salt and sand.
Despite this, corners and intersections freeze solid for long periods making
two wheeling unsafe.

The Big Tire Bicyclists keep riding and populate the emergency rooms.
I know this group is into maintaining fitness and the environment and
applaud them for it. In the freezing Winter, they also might be a Quart Low
upstairs.

My experience - Denver streets are melted high and dry half of the Winter.
Not even a close comparison to Minnesota. Good for you lucky folks in Denver.

I still maintain, riding two wheels on ice and snow is "Double Dumb on a Duck".

I am the ultimate advocate of choice - you have the choice to break your bones
and smile while doing it. I just do not chose to have my bike slip out from
under me on ice.

Mrs Silence Dogood
Merry Christmas Everyone - Be Safe
Merry Christmas Everyone - Be Safe
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0391s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0118s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]