@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
Is there a compendium of proven safety/performance/comfort mods for the 2T/150cc Stella on MV?

I'm going to ride it as is for a few weeks while the weather's nice, then decide what (if anything) is lacking-power, handling, braking, comfort, tech, reliability, or a combination of them all.

My end state by Spring is a reasonably reliable, unique ride that'll do 55-60 for short stretches (my neighborhood is connected to town by 45-55 country roads/highways on all sides), has room for a helmet, has enough acceleration to stay ahead of stoplight traffic, and sounds as nice as any two stroke can. I'm not looking for a high rpm, cylinder scoring screamer, just a fun bike to get coffee and run errands on.

I have the skills and tools to re-build an engine/carburetor/transmission/clutch, swap suspension components, rewire electrics, r/r wheels/tires, re-paint, etc.

I could use some suggestions on any special tools I should be looking at. Thanks in advance.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
If you are looking for safety my criteria is slightly different. For me safety is have decent power to hit the road and the reason I am saying this is because there are parts of town where I lived in which people drive too fast.

What I am trying to say is that you need some power to keep up with traffic, merge on the hwy or go up on hilly roads. If you have a Stella then you don't need to worry about brakes too much, the disc brakes in my opinion handle the braking very well. Tree of my four scooters don't have front disc brakes and it sucks!!

I would invest on decent tires and maybe tubeless wheels. I recently upgraded to tubeless wheels and tires and I know I feel safer. I had a blow out once with a passenger and I almost crashed and I wasn't even going that fast (probably 35 mph) but almost lost control due to rapid air pressure loss.

Another paramount thing to me is the lights. If you are driving at night make sure your Stella has a properly charged battery. If your battery is not fully charge your high beam and horn wouldn't work. You should have working mirrors I assume.

To answer directly to your original question I would say that most people do cylinder kits, carburetors and expansion chambers or exhaust boxes as one of their first mods. The Stellas can clock low 50's mph stock but the cylinder kit will give you a nice bump in power.
OP
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
If you are looking for safety my criteria is slightly different. For me safety is have decent power to hit the road and the reason I am saying this is because there are parts of town where I lived in which people drive too fast.

What I am trying to say is that you need some power to keep up with traffic, merge on the hwy or go up on hilly roads. If you have a Stella then you don't need to worry about brakes too much, the disc brakes in my opinion handle the braking very well. Tree of my four scooters don't have front disc brakes and it sucks!!

I would invest on decent tires and maybe tubeless wheels. I recently upgraded to tubeless wheels and tires and I know I feel safer. I had a blow out once with a passenger and I almost crashed and I wasn't even going that fast (probably 35 mph) but almost lost control due to rapid air pressure loss.

Another paramount thing to me is the lights. If you are driving at night make sure your Stella has a properly charged battery. If your battery is not fully charge your high beam and horn wouldn't work. You should have working mirrors I assume.

To answer directly to your original question I would say that most people do cylinder kits, carburetors and expansion chambers or exhaust boxes as one of their first mods. The Stellas can clock low 50's mph stock but the cylinder kit will give you a nice bump in power.
Interestingly enough, upon further examination the Stella has the SIP tubeless wheels and a halogen headlight upgrade. The tires are Michelins, and only 4 years old, but are badly crazed next to the bead area, so those are getting replaced ASAP. I've got a Battery Tender coming and will put the multimeter on the battery and connections this weekend. This weekend will also be spent cleaning, adjusting, lubing, basic servicing, and going over the wiring connections, plus dealing with the rusty areas. I hope to begin riding in a week or so. Meanwhile, I'm accumulating parts and tools for a Winter project, most likely a mild pipe and re-jet job, unless I find something untoward under the cowls. Thanks.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
You are still on the stock cylinder right? what jetting were you thinking? I think stock are either 98 or 102. With the prices of cylinder kits on the all time low for some brands you just can't go wrong. I think I scooped a Malossi 166 cc 9 years ago for $269 or $289 but you can get stuff for similar price.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

140 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
should maybe ask questions rather than making assumptions, but I'm going to assume that budget-wise, cash is a consideration, but not supremely limiting.

You seem to have solid mechanical skills, so I'm also going to assume that you're willing to take a Dremel to the cases to expand the ports and match the airbox to the carb.

With those two things in mind...

As a solid upgrade set that's not getting crazy, I'd start with something like:
- VMC177 cylinder kit (either the BGM-177 ($326 for the new version that fits with the starter ring on the flywheel, $299 for the older version) or VMC Stelvio 177 ($338)
- SIP Road 2.0 exhaust ($140)
- SI 24/24g oil-injected carb ($95)

You'll want to pick up a rebuild kit which includes all the Usual Suspect wear parts, as well as possibly needing some spacer gaskets to get the port timings right. One thing I like about the BGM is that it has a recessed cylinder head, so it seals up nice n' tight, plus it makes it really easy to get the squish dialed in. You'll need to cut the gates out of the transfer ports, which makes the porting a tad bit more work, but we're talking like five minutes, not a huge effort. I use Polini 177 base gaskets & spacers with my BGM, as they match the opened gates well so I'm not having to make custom base gaskets.

Also, I know you said you have the halogen upgrade, but if that's not enough, for lighting I use a 5.75" LED headlight designed for a Harley in my Stella. It fits perfectly and puts out an insane amount of light. I had to fabricate custom mounting brackets out of sheet metal, but that was not a big deal.

Welcome to the NSM fold!
OP
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
should maybe ask questions rather than making assumptions, but I'm going to assume that budget-wise, cash is a consideration, but not supremely limiting.

You seem to have solid mechanical skills, so I'm also going to assume that you're willing to take a Dremel to the cases to expand the ports and match the airbox to the carb.

With those two things in mind...

As a solid upgrade set that's not getting crazy, I'd start with something like:
- VMC177 cylinder kit (either the BGM-177 ($326 for the new version that fits with the starter ring on the flywheel, $299 for the older version) or VMC Stelvio 177 ($338)
- SIP Road 2.0 exhaust ($140)
- SI 24/24g oil-injected carb ($95)

You'll want to pick up a rebuild kit which includes all the Usual Suspect wear parts, as well as possibly needing some spacer gaskets to get the port timings right. One thing I like about the BGM is that it has a recessed cylinder head, so it seals up nice n' tight, plus it makes it really easy to get the squish dialed in. You'll need to cut the gates out of the transfer ports, which makes the porting a tad bit more work, but we're talking like five minutes, not a huge effort. I use Polini 177 base gaskets & spacers with my BGM, as they match the opened gates well so I'm not having to make custom base gaskets.

Also, I know you said you have the halogen upgrade, but if that's not enough, for lighting I use a 5.75" LED headlight designed for a Harley in my Stella. It fits perfectly and puts out an insane amount of light. I had to fabricate custom mounting brackets out of sheet metal, but that was not a big deal.

Welcome to the NSM fold!
Thanks. I've owned a lot of multi cylinder two strokes and never really needed to modify the ports from the factory specs. On the other hand, I've never had to haul my bulk around with 8-ish horsepower, so it may be time to learn a new skill! I am definitely looking at a cylinder kit, so I appreciate the suggestion of the BGM/Stelvio kits, exhaust, and carb. Interesting idea on the LED headlight. I'm looking to save as many electrons as possible, so replacing halogen/incandescent bulbs wherever possible is a good thing. Thanks again.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Glad to help!

I did a thread about my own first porting experience at Porting 101 which shows what's involved. I got that DR 177 up to 15-16 HP through a combination of go-fast parts, diligent tuning and good luck.

I don't expect you'll see anything in there that scares you away from the project, either.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0274s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]