Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:21 pm

Enthusiast
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport

Enthusiast
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:21 pm linkquote
Hello Modern Vespa
The default factory USB plug in the glove box was insufficient to charge my new phone. This had become quite the issue now that I'm doing touring on the Mp3 and the navigation, Bluetooth Music, and ride tracking was sorely needed.

The phone used about 500 mA/hour on battery with all the navigation, music, audio, and applications running. The default USB plug only puts out around 430 mA/hour even with the engine running. The the new USB adapter I installed (See the story below) produces 1800 mA/hour which is enough to keep the phone going and recharge a camera battery. Its been a few days and some rides since then

Plan A

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H1MGWFN/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WV8DG2F

First I considered installing a 12V "cigarette" socket which would allow me to install any compatible USB plug or device that fit. However placement of this would have necessitated cutting plastic and pulling power from somewhere. Wherever I got the power from, it HAS to be linked to the ignition key so I don't drain the battery when not in use.

Power for the 12V socket would have come from a "Fuse Tap" that would allow me to get 12 volt power with sufficient amperage to power whatever device I put into the socket. But which fuse to use? Turns out Fuse #11 that provides the USB plug is linked to the key and has the 12V needed with ample amperage capacity available.

Where to mount the 12V "Cigarette" socket? I could not locate a suitable location. This forum has several posts on the topic of where to place the plug but none appealed to me. All places where it would fit were either exposed to the weather, obstructed, or would necessitate removing allot of plastic paneling. It can be done and made to look good, I just wasn't interested in cutting or removing that much plastic at this point in my MP3 career.

Plan B - replace the existing USB socket.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V7DPPV/

This proved to be much easier modification that could be accomplished in a short period of time rather than hours. This is important as between work, kids, family and home there wasn't sufficient time for a multi-day multi-hour project.

The replacement is an inexpensive 3.1 Amp dual USB plug I got on Amazon that uses standard SAE DC wiring. This particular model met all requirements but the reviews are a bit mixed and some of them rather alarming which is all the more reason to make sure its "OFF" when the bike is parked and key removed.

After removing the windshield and Windscreen Support panel the backside of the glove box and its USB port wiring was exposed. After some thinking I made up my mind that the default USB was of no further value and was thus safe to sacrifice. It just pushes out of its mounting being held in only by the rubber weather gasket and friction.

Once removed and un-plugged the wires a few centimeters above the critical plug for the wiring harness were cut. The wires were then carefully separated then spliced together with the SAE DC wires of the replacement MOtopower USB plug (also carefully cut and labeled) and secured with weather resistant Wire Nuts. A quick check with the power on showed I mixed up the polarity but no harm appears to have come of it as once corrected the USB plug worked perfectly.

With power secured the replacement USB plug was pushed through the existing hole in the glove box then secured with zip ties to available strong points in the area. I will return to it with some more proper and longer lasting fasting solution but for a draft one and test cycle the zip-ties work fine and hold it in place so it does not push through when used.

There was a bit of concern about the new higher power USB plug drawing more power than the wiring harness for fuse #11 could provide or overheating wires. Turns out the factory wires leading up to the plug the USB adapter used to connect into are sufficient. Used a few hours on a test ride and no issues to report on wiring shorts or issues.

The whole thing is reversible, just buy a replacement factory USB plug, re-insert the mounting weather plug and then just re-install the default USB again.

Hidden Fuse 11 with the Fuse Tap

Wiring harness connector leading to the USB plug produced 12V

Splicing the wiring harness plug into the USB plug. I got the polarity wrong on the first attempt but it works fine once my error was corrected.

A bit janky looking with the zip ties but its solidly in place until I think of something better.

Glove box side looks okay (for now) and is out of the weather.

Phone App using default Piaggio USB plug shows only 430 mA/hour being provided.

New MotoPower 3.1 Amp USB plug reports 1,804 mA/hour

Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:21 am

Hooked
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Hooked
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:21 am linkquote
That looks good
Use a small worm gear hose clamp slipped inside some tubing tape to conform to the plastic you are clamping to without excess force
Preform with a pair of needle nose to avoid crushing corners

DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0291s ][ Queries: 8 (0.0086s) ][ Debug on ][ 209 ][ Thing One ]