OP
UTC

Piggio Fly 50 4V

Piggio Fly 50 4V
UTC quote
Looking to buy a used LX150 with 9000 miles, nice body, engine idles and revs normal, but belt is broken. What would your dealer charge, just to give me an approximation of what I should consider in my offer ... ?
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
It should be easy to get a quote from a local dealer, but my guess would be an hours labor plus the cost of the belt (about $200-$250). The one catch here is that a belt which broke and shredded inside the CVT can make something of a mess and even do some damage. A dealer may need to see the CVT before he could give you a reliable estimate.
OP
UTC

Piggio Fly 50 4V

Piggio Fly 50 4V
UTC quote
Thanks...that is a good point about maybe the belt breaking at speed...I will try to work that question in...how fast...how did you recover without falling ..something like that..) Maybe it did not break at speed but at startup...but I'm guessing. I will listen closely when I start it up, for any noises out of CVT like damage. I wonder if they took the belt out yet - maybe not.

Thanks a lot for your rapid response.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
I am of the opinion that if the seller suggests it broke on startup, run away as fast and far as you can.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
Check the service history. It might be the original belt.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
It sounds like it needs a complete top-to-toe service to be roadworthy, so have the figure of $600 in mind. I'm assuming 3 hrs labour plus parts. Greasy will be able to give a better figure of course. Add another $300 if it needs new tyres...
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
I guess it depends on the hourly rate of the dealer, really.

well, that and replacing everything else that's waxed.

figure on a solid 2~2.5 hours of work depending on how ugly the situation is. if everything is wrapped up tight and there is shrapnel every where, that's a hot minute. complete clutch/driven pully may need a tear down and cleaning, and same one the trans cover for the kick start and mechanism.

so parts wise at minimum, you're looking a belt. probably want to do rollers and guides while you're there. plus labor. so I'd say you're looking at an easy $300 coming and going.

but to Jim's point, if they've ignored or put off this service for this long, what *else* have they put off.

if I was a betting man, I'd say you've probably got a repair bill looming in the 800ish range. bump that out to 1K if you need a battery, brakes and a speedo cable.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '77 Jawa 350TS, '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '77 Jawa 350TS, '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.
UTC quote
They didn't keep the tranny service up.

That could mean nothings been done. No fluid changes either.

So whats the inside of that motor look like?

I'd keep looking, better to pay a little more for a machine with a known maintenance history.

Talking to my dealer not long ago they had a late model Triumph in which had never had a service of any kind. Needless to say it was in for a new motor. Odd, I remember the mileage as being at about 9000 too.
@jonny_ray avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa PX125

Enthusiast
@jonny_ray avatar
Vespa PX125
UTC quote
FlyBoyJIm wrote:
Looking to buy a used LX150 with 9000 miles, nice body, engine idles and revs normal, but belt is broken. What would your dealer charge, just to give me an approximation of what I should consider in my offer ... ?
Buy a Haynes manual for the scooter and get your hands dirty or if you are anywhere near South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 I volunteer to do it for you for £50 lol. Best of luck.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
The belt broke. That doesn't mean the entire bike needs to be junked. It could just as easily be that the previous owner changed his/her own belt less than correctly and it broke prematurely.
When you call around to try and get estimates, don't take it to the person who is cheapest and doesn't mention anything about taking the clutch apart. That's the person who is going to slap a new belt in as fast as humanly possible, no matter what else needs to be replaced. "A few of the rollers have flat spots, but they're not that bad," is not something you want to hear while you are paying the bill.
If the belt didn't wear out because they never replaced it, the odds are that either the clutch or the variator is damaged, and you need someone who knows when those are bad to service it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0291s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0053s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]