@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
Does anyone know the Liberty 150 alternator output. I'd like to install heated grips and want to make sure there is enough juice, so as not to interfere with other critical systems. My previous ride (a motorcycle) had 300 Watts, so there was plenty of "room". Thanks.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
The 150 stator has about 4A spare capacity - at a minimum, it might have a tad more. So about 50W available for extras - not much.

However, depending on your usage, availability of external charging capacity, etc, heated grips might be just fine. Keeping some jump-start device onboard could also be effective.

Converting headlights to more efficient light sources could provide more capacity.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
I need the best chance for starts miles from home, in the dark, on very cold days here in rural Ohio.

Therefore, I decided not to challenge the electrical system on my 163cc EFI Kymco, or my 155cc EFI Liberty on these cold rides.

I've been using 7V Gerbing heated glove liners, and recently - 7V Highway 21 heated gloves.
The battery is carried in the cuff of the gloves - with no wires to the jacket, etc.

It probably would be a good idea to carry one of those jump packs for winter riding. I upgraded the 8Ah battery on my Kymco to a 14Ah Yuasa - but haven't found a good upgrade for the little 6Ah which will fit Liberty's tiny battery box....so, I dropped a fresh Yuasa in there for riding season #4....and regularly attach a battery Tender Jr to both scoots.

I will be most interested in hearing your experience with heated grips on your Liberty, if you choose to go that way. (but - thinking of some of those dark desolate roads I ride in the winter - I'm sticking with my 7V gloves, regardless!)

And, the Liberty's 60/55W headlight is pretty darn good for night riding - but, if Robot began selling a new Euro LED kit with its purpose-made headlight reflector/bucket - I'd give it a look. Have not read many believable reviews by people who simply drop an LED bulb into any scooter's Halogen headlight reflector bucket. My Liberty's headlight reflector was designed to properly shape the light pattern for a Halogen bulb.
My every ride starts in the dark - so, I'm kinda picky about what my headlight is doing out there on that dark road!
O.S.
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
Thanks all for your input. I contacted Koso, who sells the grips I would likely get. They draw 2.8A at the highest level (5). This is 33.6 Watts (@12V). So, if there is a "spare" 4A (as suggested by a previous poster) or 48W...this takes up most of it.

Like any accessory, these don't wear the battery down as long as the charging system is working correctly. After all the 55W halogen headlight doesn't. The aH of the battery shouldn't really make any difference, except that it would go dead faster if you left the grips on when the scooter is off. The problem lies in drawing too much so that it interferes with critical systems (such as fuel injection, etc.).

I also checked into Gerbing gloves (the 12V plug in type) and these draw 1.1A each, so 2.2A for the pair or 26.4 Watts. This leaves a bit more room out of 48W.

Gerbing has a 12V dual-power glove that can also use Lithium batteries, but between the gloves and batteries it comes in at about $300. To much for me.

I will likely plug along with my 7V Lithium battery glove liners and see how they do without the heated grips. Perhaps look into some of the "mitts" that attach around the grip area....like a lot of snowmobilers use.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
Good post!
I tried the bar muffs, or whatever they're called, years ago.
But I do not keep my hands on the grips full time.
I'm up down up, wiping - helmet's face shield, adjusting zip or scarf, etc....while riding or at lights....
Sometimes even taking photos.
Getting my hand back on the grip instantly was very awkward, so I gave them up.
I bet they would keeps hands warmer, if I'd use them as intended.. But I won't.
O.S.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
From what I can see Liberty takes a standard H4 lamp. 60/55W

If you installed one of these at 26W you would save almost 30 Watts.

https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Headlight-Motorcycle-Light-6000K/dp/B092SHMWQZ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3JS7JL7WQP8I3&dchild=1&keywords=auxito+h4+9003+led+headlight+bulb&qid=1631800787&sr=8-6

These get good reviews on the Kawasaki Versys forum for lighting, as they don't need to save power.
⚠️ Last edited by waspmike on UTC; edited 1 time
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Oops sorry duplicate post.
⚠️ Last edited by waspmike on UTC; edited 1 time
@retro_scoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS300 HPE "Whiskers"

Hooked
@retro_scoot avatar
2020 GTS300 HPE "Whiskers"
UTC quote
Goob wrote:
Thanks all for your input. I contacted Koso, who sells the grips I would likely get. They draw 2.8A at the highest level (5). This is 33.6 Watts (@12V). So, if there is a "spare" 4A (as suggested by a previous poster) or 48W...this takes up most of it.

Like any accessory, these don't wear the battery down as long as the charging system is working correctly. After all the 55W halogen headlight doesn't. The aH of the battery shouldn't really make any difference, except that it would go dead faster if you left the grips on when the scooter is off. The problem lies in drawing too much so that it interferes with critical systems (such as fuel injection, etc.).

I also checked into Gerbing gloves (the 12V plug in type) and these draw 1.1A each, so 2.2A for the pair or 26.4 Watts. This leaves a bit more room out of 48W.

Gerbing has a 12V dual-power glove that can also use Lithium batteries, but between the gloves and batteries it comes in at about $300. To much for me.

I will likely plug along with my 7V Lithium battery glove liners and see how they do without the heated grips. Perhaps look into some of the "mitts" that attach around the grip area....like a lot of snowmobilers use.
I've never had the luxury of heated grips - so I can't give much advice there. I have had a few different pairs of heated gloves over the years and never cared much for the bulk or the tendency to burn my knuckles while leaving other areas cold. What I finally discovered that works very well for me is heated glove liners. Very snug fit with great coverage of heat and I can use them with any winter glove I choose that fits well with good flexibility. Those along with a heated jacket liner is all I've ever needed. Oh, and a dual controller is a big plus.
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
From what I can see Liberty takes a standard H4 lamp. 60/55W

If you installed one of these at 26W you would save almost 30 Watts.

https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Headlight-Motorcycle-Light-6000K/dp/B092SHMWQZ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3JS7JL7WQP8I3&dchild=1&keywords=auxito+h4+9003+led+headlight+bulb&qid=1631800787&sr=8-6

These get good reviews on the Kawasaki Versys forum for lighting, as they don't need to save power.
I used that exact LED lamp from AUXITO in a motorcycle I had (sold for the Liberty). It worked very well with the reflector that was stock on the bike. They are relatively cheap and easy to install, so worth a try in the Liberty.

Can't find what the lamp is for the Liberty taillight. From the manual it looks like there is one large (maybe an 1156) brake lamp and two small "running" lamps. What I had on my motorcycle was a strobe LED 1157 (brake/tail). A little added safety.
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Piaggio Liberty 150

Enthusiast
2021 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
I'm using that Auxito bulb in my Liberty now. It's decent. Output is similar to the stock halogen bulb, but the white color matches the running lights, so I prefer it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0233s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0052s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]