@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
So having now moved to AZ and learning about the AZ summers, where heat takes on a different meaning. Over 105 degrees, which is not uncommon, really is another world. It is sort of like sticking your head into an oven, and yes a dry heat is better than humid, but, at least to me, over 95 degrees and dry or not it is very very hot, it feels like your eyeballs are going to melt.

So while I was still in Chicago for the early part of the summer I did some research into riding in the heat and came across a lot of info on cooling vests. These are vests made of some polymer that absorbs water. You soak them before riding, gently ring them out, and then ride with them under your mesh jacket. The wind evaporates the water, theoretically cooling you, similar to sweating. Most reviews are positive as well as discussion on this blog. So I bought one and finally today gave it a trial run on about a 2 hour ride this AM.

So my thoughts. It is ok, not amazing. It does get you quite wet, including draining onto my jeans so it looked like I had peed in my pants. When you have a good breeze, which is essential, it does cool you off a bit. Today was hot but not too terrible and it was a bit humid(which is not very common here) and this will work better when it is not humid. So while you can get one not too expensive, in my opinion it is not a game changer, but I will try it again and see.

Otherwise I did have a nice ride today. I have an old friend from Chicago who lives in Scottsdale and has a Harley and we go riding weekly weather permitting It was a route recommended from someone on this blog. We rode from south Scottsdale up to a Deli in north scottsdale for breakfast. Then rode north and then east to Rio Verde, then south to Fountain Hills and then back west to Scottsdale. Nice scenery, not too much traffic and ended up before it got too hot.

Anyways be safe all.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
Ice rolled up in a T-shirt rag wrapped around your neck. It cools the blood flow to the head. Better than a 50% reduction of sweat in the helmet. You can replenish the ice at most gas stations or fast food. I'm too cheap to try gimmicks. I have my tried and true and low cost(worn out T-shirt) "ice necklace".
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Thanks for posting!
I used mine for the first time this weekend. It seemed to do the trick, even when we got back into the Valley (Phoenix), and it was 106/8°. I usually ride with an icepack and a chill towel when it's over 105°, but the vest with the towel did a better job at keeping me cool. We have at least a month left of 100° plus days, so I think it was worth the $40 I spent on it.
OP
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
Thanks for posting!
I used mine for the first time this weekend. It seemed to do the trick, even when we got back into the Valley (Phoenix), and it was 106/8°. I usually ride with an icepack and a chill towel when it's over 105°, but the vest with the towel did a better job at keeping me cool. We have at least a month left of 100° plus days, so I think it was worth the $40 I spent on it.
I agree that the cost was not much and if it helps any it is worth it, still need to check it out a bit more, but will be happy when it gets below 100
@rgk avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS Super

Hooked
@rgk avatar
2021 GTS Super
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
Thanks for posting!
If I can't count as high as the temperature, I stay inside. I am unable to get past two digits.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
I was not impressed with the evap vest. It never lasted long enough for me, and was even hotter on when dry. But that's me.
OP
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
I was not impressed with the evap vest. It never lasted long enough for me, and was even hotter on when dry. But that's me.
the concept is great but not sure it is actually helping but I am willing to give it a few more tries
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
LarryMK wrote:
the concept is great but not sure it is actually helping but I am willing to give it a few more tries
If you'd like to try, for free, I still have my evap vest in L or maybe XL. Let me know.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
But "how hot" is it from you?
I have found that by wearing more clothes but in natural fiber (cotton or linen) you protect yourself better.
I have a cotton tank top, a cotton T-shirt (with short sleeves) and a cotton vest (sleeveless); I can spin without sweating up to an ambient temperature of 38 degrees celsius without major problems ...
OP
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
But "how hot" is it from you?
I have found that by wearing more clothes but in natural fiber (cotton or linen) you protect yourself better.
I have a cotton tank top, a cotton T-shirt (with short sleeves) and a cotton vest (sleeveless); I can spin without sweating up to an ambient temperature of 38 degrees celsius without major problems ...
in the summer here we can have 105-110 degrees Fahrenheit or 40.6-43 degrees Celsius, so it does get hot
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
LarryMK wrote:
in the summer here we can have 105-110 degrees Fahrenheit or 40.6-43 degrees Celsius, so it does get hot
It's not hot, it's a deep frying pan!
OP
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
It's not hot, it's a deep frying pan!
thus the point of looking for a cooling device
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
There was a guy here, though I cannot find the post, who mounted an insulated cooler full of ice and water to the pillion and ran lines back and forth in his jacket to the cooler. With a pump in the cooler he reported staying cool for hours.
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)
UTC quote
I own a BMW cooling vest that I wore once. IMHO it was a waste of money. YMMV.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
You obviously need good airflow through your jacket. ClimaCool fabric which runners wear works well but it also relies on airflow.

Is the vest long enough to be worn outside your jeans? The moisture needs somewhere to go. When I dress I always have my wickaway-type shirt outside my jeans with the bottom exposed to the air. The same goes for a balaclava. The neck fabric outside the jacket collar.

Where I ride the temperature may be slightly less but the humidity is through the roof.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
Most evaporative vests are worn under a mesh jacket and over street clothes.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Surely the evaporative jacket should be next to the skin? Otherwise, sweat is still absorbed or not by the street clothes?

I wear a "wick away" type synthetic running T shirt then my ventilated jacket which has mesh panels. As I said the bottom of the shirt sticks out from under my jacket, just about.

When running I don't like cotton shirts as all they do is absorb.

Non-gauntlet gloves also help so air can go up the sleeves.
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
I purchased a vest that had some kind of gel beads inside the lining that absorbed water when you soaked the thing pre-ride. I needed it for my Iron Butt ride which took me through the Negev and Arava deserts, Jordan Valley and down past the dead sea during the hottest part of the Israeli summer (daytime temps of 115F).

My experience with this type of vest was not impressive. It was heavy and uncomfortable while wet, didn't hold the moisture nearly as long as advertised, and the annoyance factor outweighed whatever cooling I enjoyed from the evaporation.

Bottom line, drink lots of water, keep moving so the air over your body can help keep you comfortable, and try to find some shade when you stop. Save your money for buying cold gas station drinks when you refuel.
UTC

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
UTC quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
I purchased a vest that had some kind of gel beads inside the lining that absorbed water when you soaked the thing pre-ride. I needed it for my Iron Butt ride which took me through the Negev and Arava deserts, Jordan Valley and down past the dead sea during the hottest part of the Israeli summer (daytime temps of 115F).

My experience with this type of vest was not impressive. It was heavy and uncomfortable while wet, didn't hold the moisture nearly as long as advertised, and the annoyance factor outweighed whatever cooling I enjoyed from the evaporation.

Bottom line, drink lots of water, keep moving so the air over your body can help keep you comfortable, and try to find some shade when you stop. Save your money for buying cold gas station drinks when you refuel.
That was a memorable ride and I believe you had plenty of vicarious help along the way.
@kedierluc avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250ie, R1200R

Addicted
@kedierluc avatar
GTS250ie, R1200R
UTC quote
I have the cycle gear "bilt" brand one. It works.
There are a few clarifications:
1. It doesn't cure the problem (excessive heat). It just makes it tolerable.
2. It only works if you're moving (ie cooling effect). The faster, the better.
3. It works best the closest the vest is to your skin. I use a synthetic t-shirt then the vest, then the jacket. It is a textile jacket with lots of ventilation. Note that cotton is the worse to use because it absorbs the sweat and then it doesn't transfer the sweat or heat off your body.

This type of vest is used by our club members whenever the outside temperature is over upper 90s or 100Fs. The worst that I've ridden is on 110F and the vest made a significant difference (it felt like upper 80s).
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0278s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0033s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]