OP
UTC

Lurker
Primavera

Lurker
Primavera
UTC quote
Hi everyone.

Stupidly I dropped my Vespa, and I know it's part of owning a scooter for things to happen.

I also know that probably more scratches will happen and so don't want to bring it to the shop just yet.

Wondering what are the steps I need to take to touch it up myself. I ordered the touch up paint but I'm still confused.

Do I sand it first? (Any recommendations on the size of the sand paper?)

Do I paint afterwards? Anything else needed?

Please advise. Total noob here. Thanks in advance!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
Welcome.
YouTube has plenty of vids on painting. You'll learn that you should ride your scoot until you're no longer a noob. Then you can have a pro do it or buy a new bike and use this scoot as a beater.
I learned that if you don't clear coat the whole bike(or section) after the touch up, you'll have problems with adhesion. Paint doesn't stick to cured paint unless you sand the surface with 600-800 grit. The edges of the touch up won't be happy or look the way you want it. We are our own worst critics.
I'm thinking crash bars on the new bike
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
Rocket fell over after I parked it in gravel.

It was maybe one year old at the time.

The gravel scratched it up real good.

I never repaired it.

That was almost 15 years ago.

The scratches didn't dampen the joy I get out of riding at all.

Your scrape looks minor.

I had a similar one on my Xmax.

I bought a little touch up kit at Autozone.

Applied it and can't see the scrape at all anymore.

Bill
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200L

Enthusiast
GT200L
UTC quote
Sorry about the scratches!

I bought some roundel stickers and put them over the scratches after adding some touch up paint to prevent rust. The stickers are fine and added a little bit of flair. They also act as a daily reminder of why I can't have nice things.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
tis but a flesh wound!

don't worry and ride it.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '77 Jawa 350TS, '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '77 Jawa 350TS, '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.
UTC quote
Welcome to the wonderful world of Modern Vespa, scooters and dumped bikes...

As for the scratches... welcome to the club. After 30 years on motorcycles I was used to standing astride my bike with the weight of the bike against my leg while doing up my helmet. Doesn't work with my no gas tank in the middle so over went my new GTS. Lucky I had bars around the back to take most of the damage... don't have em? Get em!
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Sorry.

Are you okay?
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Welcome! So sorry about your boo-boo. Crash bars are life savers when it comes to dents and scratches.

I'd just do a little camouflage with touch-up paint and maybe a fun sticker, then tell everyone you meet thereafter that you bought it pre-damaged for a discount. Razz emoticon
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
That's no too bad.
Here's my usual "first do no harm" approach. Pick off any loose flakes. When your paint arrives, pick up a 00 brush at a hobby shop to paint only the bare metal, keeping inside the chip or scratch. Let dry completely between coats Once it's done, leave it alone.
Sanding or spray-canning just enlarges the blemish. YMMV
@marret avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 GTS300 ABS

Hooked
@marret avatar
2016 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
Agree with above. Use touch up paint and paint just the chip. Don't use too much as it could run on a vertical surface. Use follow on coat(s) if needed.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
I agree with you that I don't want to see deep scratches or gravel rash on my scooter. I certainly feel your pain. On the other hand, professional quality repairs to metal bodywork and paint are quite difficult. Being a noob to scooters has nothing to do with it. Similar repairs to damage on the body of a car are equally difficult. You wouldn't try to do significant repairs to body damage on a car in your driveway and a Vespa is no different. You have 3 choices really. Leave it alone and live with it as some suggest. Do minimal touchup with bottled touchup paint (which won't look great but may suit you better than doing nothing). Or have professional work done by a body shop which will likely involve sanding and repainting the entire panel at some expense. Your call.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
Make an equal scratch on the good side and your Vespa is a special version of the famous Italian artist Giovanni Graffio.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
Unless looks matter to ya, don't bother fixing it, ride it.
As Greasy says it is a flesh wound at best
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
nail polish.
UTC

Vespa Primavera 125cc 2016

Vespa Primavera 125cc 2016
UTC quote
Yh shit happens I didn't get mine brand new and it had 2 very minimal scratches I'd recommend doing a small touch up as if left they could get rusty which's looks far worse than just some small imperfect paintwork. Then after a good few years of bumps and scrapes you could get the panel done professional or move onto a new bike and use this as a beater and cover it in stickers
OP
UTC

Lurker
Primavera

Lurker
Primavera
UTC quote
Thank you all for the welcomes and the recommendations/suggestions!

Will take them into an account for sure.

For the person who asked me if I'm okay, I am. And at the end of the day that's what it matters.

Thanks to those who also shared their scratches stories. It's good to not feel alone!

For now, will definitely not bring it to the shop yet because it's too soon, let it have more scratches and the like first.

I will still ride it obviously and will just try to do minimal touch up with paint just because I don't want it to get rusty (as I've heard it might).

For those who suggested stickers can you be kind to indicate me some shops or links? Thanks.

Once again thank you all!
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3

Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
UTC quote
Relax_put a sticker on it
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150

Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
I love my LXV150IE but I have laid it down, dropped it, bruised it and ya, kinda abused it. I am thinking it needs some shop time for some maintenance stuff like new belt and rollers, clean those fuel injectors and I would SO love to have it stripped and painted a lovely shade of red…. It's not my work ride, cuz between the brace and waterproof boots I wear for work I have difficulty getting the foot of that right leg to get it up on the center stand.
So, sympathy for the scratches but mint in the box is for collector Barbie dolls, who actually rarely are worth what you paid for them and Piaggio designed their rides for riding, for hauling, for working and mine do all of that. The Liberty doesn't 'haul freight' well, I did put on the metal pad that the top box would mount on, but design wise, it's just not built for hauling much, the LXV150IE, with those touring racks, standard with my 2016 makes it easy to haul lots, groceries and other stuff.
It's yours, do it your way, just remember the impound yard is never a good home for your scooter and they do Not have wings.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Relax_Green wrote:
Total noob here.
Polish with scratch remover. Leave as battle scars. Trying to fix it you have a high probability of making it worse.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Or equivalent
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Relax_Green wrote:
Thank you all for the welcomes and the recommendations/suggestions!

Will take them into an account for sure.

For the person who asked me if I'm okay, I am. And at the end of the day that's what it matters.

Thanks to those who also shared their scratches stories. It's good to not feel alone!

For now, will definitely not bring it to the shop yet because it's too soon, let it have more scratches and the like first.

I will still ride it obviously and will just try to do minimal touch up with paint just because I don't want it to get rusty (as I've heard it might).

For those who suggested stickers can you be kind to indicate me some shops or links? Thanks.

Once again thank you all!
across my years i've always had a saying when people were in a wreck: we can fix bikes, we can't replace people.

ride safe and don't pet the sweaty stuff. this little bump barely moves the needle. no worries.

also, local record shop could probably use a little influx of cash... and you could always need another record... so, win-win on that one.

(or a friend's band, splash the cash for the t-shirt and get the sticker)
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
Relax_Green wrote:
Hi everyone.

Stupidly I dropped my Vespa, and I know it's part of owning a scooter for things to happen.

I can't see anything worth repainting over.
Your favorite fun sticker should do the trick.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0330s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0122s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]