@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Rather than revive the old thread on this I figured I would start a new one with updates.

If you haven't heard of this story back in June of 2019 a truck and trailer driven by Volodymyr Zhukovskyy crossed the centerline of Rt. 2 in Randolph, NH killing 7 of 8 members of Jarheads MC of MA that had just left their lodging and were headed to an adjacent town for a charity event. The club now refers to them as the Jarheads Fallen Seven.

Zhukovskyy, a permanent resident of the US but still a Ukrainian national, was charged with 7 counts of manslaughter, 7 counts of negligent homicide, one count of driving while intoxicated and one count of reckless conduct. If convicted he faces more than 100 years' jail time and possibly more if NH invokes a law that adds time for someone involved in a fatal accident with prior DUI convictions.

He also admitted to using cocaine and Fentanyl just prior to the crash and did not realize he hit anyone. His lawyer is trying to get this thrown out and is alleging that one of the motorcyclists was drunk and actually caused the accident. Zhukovskyy has plead not guilty and is still in jail as he was deemed a danger to society and is considered a flight risk.

Jarheads MC raised over half a million dollars for the families of the fallen through go fund me and recently erected a granite and steel monument on the property of the Mt. Jefferson view Motel and Cabins just down the road from the actual site. It faces east in the direction they were riding and has a set of wings for each member that died that day.

Here is a link to the state of NH case information page for anyone interested. https://www.courts.state.nh.us/caseinfo/pdf/Zhukovskyy/index.htm

The jury trial is scheduled to start in late November 2021. I keep following this because it happened in my hometown. Many of my neighbors that still live there were traumatized.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Original memorial at the site.
Original memorial at the site.
New memorial
New memorial
@spacedog avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 GT200L: (-Jiffy5-) 2013 GTV300ie: (-RBBaron-) 2021 GTS 300 hpe

Hooked
@spacedog avatar
2005 GT200L: (-Jiffy5-) 2013 GTV300ie: (-RBBaron-) 2021 GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
Very nice tribute.
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150

Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
Thanks for the update, I had wondered about that and hope the man is found at fault and goes behind bars for a very long time and looses his legal residency. Yes, I am mean.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I remembered the story from when it happened. Such a tragic and senseless loss. I don't know what good 100 years of jail time on the taxpayer's dime does, but the SOB certainly can't be allowed to run free.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
Thank you for the update. My wife actually asked me about this case last month. Please follow this up when it plays out in court.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I will be following it and will update when I hear something.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Also a cautionary tale about riding in groups?
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Yep, but you never know what to avoid, because anything on the road could kill you, from an intoxicated Ukrainian and up to a small piece of gravel or even a bumblebee hit to your eye and caused you to hit a pothole, etc, etc...

Probably the danger of group ride is exaggerated, but can't say that about intoxicated persons.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
Also a cautionary tale about riding in groups?
Not in this case, no.

Homeboy pulled out onto the road in a big truck with a long ass trailer and just wiped people out. iirc, it was something in the 20's injured and 7 dead.

There are so many factors to this, but riding in groups is not one of them.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
I was thinking riding in a group or formation as we see in movies rather than say 30 to 50m apart ( exact distance based on speed) alternating to the left and right of the lane. The former being closely grouped and the latter being well spread out.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Very sad event.

There is no defensive driving advise here. This would have killed anyone of us.
Simply, this guy was intoxicated.

Bob Copeland
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
His lawyer is trying to get this thrown out and is alleging that one of the motorcyclists was drunk and actually caused the accident.
It's always amazing what defense attorneys will grab onto to obfuscate the case.

As to the group riding discussion, yes, anything can happen at any time...groups put more people at risk from one event, but that's pretty obvious. Spacing is somewhat helpful though....coming back from a long ride we wound up on an 8 lane for a bit and this club came up on our left, 70 mph, a dozen or two about 6 feet apart and tailgating a trailer. Easily could have been a huge mess that could at least have partially been avoided. But they were REALLY loud, so I suppose that counts.

Anyway, hope justice is done. Sad time.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0289s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0047s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]