OP
UTC

Vespa Primavera 125cc 2016

UTC quote
My acceleration isn't as smooth and seems to Rev higher than it used to when pulling away I'm still new to the world of Vespa but believe my rollers have worn and aren't rolling very well anymore. (2016 125cc primavera 14k miles previous owner/s)
- what rollers should I purchase?
- should I get a new variator?
- Could it be something else?
- are there any scooter mechanics in the Cambridge area ?
- should I get the belt replaced as well?
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie

Addicted
@billrush avatar
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie
UTC quote
In which of the very many Cambridge named towns do you live?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Bay City Is the place to find rollers.
Go about a gram or two lighter than stock.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
However, the belt and rollers must be replaced just before 12,000 km. (7500 miles).
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Can you get Bay City Rollers in Italy? They really last.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
PM user pigletpilot. He lives near Cambridge.

https://modernvespa.com/members/pigletpilot
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
In which of the very many Cambridge named towns do you live?
City of Cambridge UK
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Can you get Bay City Rollers in Italy? They really last.
First time I hear about this brand, I am of the opinion that original rollers and belt are very good when replaced at the maximum distance recommended by the manufacturer; I have always done this (and I remind you that I have had many automatic scooters since 1995) and I had a great time.
As a spare parts dealer you should know that the real savings are to carry out the correct maintenance (even with non-original but quality parts) at the recommended intervals of time and distance; with excessively worn rollers the ribbed tree on the variator disc can be damaged ... I have seen it in the workshop several times.
Then there is the question of safety, we read in the forum what happened to those who got stuck on the rear wheel with a broken belt.
Saving in terms of money is such only if it does not involve risks for our security.
Changing the brake pads prematurely according to the wear of the brake discs allows us to spend less by not replacing the discs and have better braking, the ABS will respond better.
In short, maintenance does not wait for the comforts of others, it must be done when indicated.
Yesterday I spent € 350 for the annual coupon for my car (I do it every year, regardless of the distance traveled) and it cost me € 100 more just because I changed all 4 spark plugs with the same high quality NGKs (€ 20 each) but when I travel I'm sure to arrive, the mechanic is good, the workshop is honest and well organized, I pay the price because I'm sure that too is an honest price.
I say this to reiterate that when I drive one of my vehicles I am sure of their behavior on the road because I know that they use quality materials installed correctly.
PS: in the car I put only Castrol oil and in the scooter only the original Yamalube semi-synthetic and they go very well.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
CranberryGorilla wrote:
My acceleration isn't as smooth and seems to Rev higher than it used to when pulling away I'm still new to the world of Vespa but believe my rollers have worn and aren't rolling very well anymore. (2016 125cc primavera 14k miles previous owner/s)
- what rollers should I purchase?
- should I get a new variator?
- Could it be something else?
- are there any scooter mechanics in the Cambridge area ?
- should I get the belt replaced as well?
Acceleration not being as smooth as it used to be could be many things. When was the bike last serviced? You could be describing symptoms of engine spark plug misfire caused by a loose spark plug cap or faulty spark plug or wiring. It can be difficult to detect the misfire when riding, showing up as hesitancy. You may need a new airfilter, but in general it might just need a full service. The belt, rollers and variator guides will certainly play a part too particularly if the rollers are not sliding correctly due to build up of dirt and dust. The rollers by the way do actually roll but not very much, rolling or turning in their housing only when not under load from acceleration or deceleration (the point of equilibrium). As they wear they slide more and more until they get flat spots on them. If they didn't roll or turn in their housing they would be worn out in a couple of thousand miles.

So don't just go getting a new variator, belt or anything to start with. That's a brillaint way of wasting money as you bike is unlikely to need a new variator at 14k miles. The bike needs looking at properly for assessment. I'm a tech but live in North Essex some 52 miles from Cambridge. I can't ride far at the mo due to spinal issues that I'm awaiting surgery for. So helping you currently is not something I can do. There are lots of competent people in your area though I'm sure. Hang on and someone will be along soon. Or there are dealers who can help. It will be helpful if you can update you profile to reflect your UK location. As said above, there are many many Cambridges in the world. Good luck!
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
12,000 kilometers both weights and belt repacement. I think you are overdue
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/chandler_a_bertram
In the novel "The Inheritors"there is a planet called Morrowia and a city of Canberra but also a city of Cambridge.
waspmike wrote:
12,000 kilometers both weights and belt repacement. I think you are overdue
Oh yes ... it's a miracle that the transmission gearbox is still whole. Did he change the oil on the rear hub gears?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0112s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0018s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]