@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
My secondhand Elettrica was barely used for months before I bought it and the aux battery under the floor keeps playing up.

I've been thinking about replacing this with a lithium battery, so it can withstand deeper discharges.

Most of these seem to be a smaller capacity than the lead equivalent but are happy down to 5% charge or so, and not the 50% discharge recommended for lead acid.

Has anyone added a lithium battery and how did it do long term?

And does the Elettrica take the same YTX7L-BS battery as the primavera? (My scooter is at home at the moment, and I'd like to order the battery online now if possible).
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa Elettrica, GTS 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Vespa Elettrica, GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
You might be the first Elettrica owner to need a new 12V battery. Any idea what happened to the battery?
OP
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
My Elettrica is a couple of years old, but I think has been sat for many many months before I bought it.

If I leave the bike for a couple of weeks, the screen won't light up. I then have to push the magic button under the seat to "jump start" the 12v battery from the traction battery. At this point, the bike defaults into Italian language, and kilometres.

After that point, and whilst the 12v battery is very low on charge, it will continually bring up a "SERVICE" error message as I ride. If used every other day, the warning disappears, it remembers the language settings and it works as normal.

Lead acid batteries can go very quickly if they sit flat for a bit, and I think this is what's happened here.

Looking at a lithium battery as a replacement as they don't lose charge when left for a bit, whereas lead acid loses apparently 4% a week. The lithium batteries vary considerably though. Some cheaper ones look great, but have about half the capacity of other lithium batteries - so complicated to compare costs.

Think I'll give it a go, and will update this thread on how it all works out!
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
JakeM wrote:
If I leave the bike for a couple of weeks, the screen won't light up. I then have to push the magic button under the seat to "jump start" the 12v battery from the traction battery. At this point, the bike defaults into Italian language, and kilometres.

After that point, and whilst the 12v battery is very low on charge, it will continually bring up a "SERVICE" error message as I ride. If used every other day, the warning disappears, it remembers the language settings and it works as normal.
I have been driving a Nissan Leaf (2 different ones actually) over 7 years. The are famous for all kinds of wanky effects with a weak 12V battery. Not surprising that something similar is true of the Elettrica.
⚠️ Last edited by Dooglas on UTC; edited 1 time
@doodlebug10 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa Elettrica 70km

Hooked
@doodlebug10 avatar
Vespa Elettrica 70km
UTC quote
Last winter I removed the auxiliary battery and kept it warm and charged inside my home . Main traction battery charged as per instructions on the Elettrica app. JakeM have you sourced a Lithium battery of the same dimensions and specifications ?
OP
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
I've found a couple of batteries that seem like they might work. The lithium batteries are smaller, but seem to come with high density foam that you cut down to fill in the additional space.

The tricky thing is most seem to say "Pb Equivalent capacity", so you have to look through the spec to find the true capacity.

The one I'm looking at right now is the "SHORAI LFX14A2-BS12"

This says 14AH PB Equivalent, but the true capacity is 4.4AH - one of the highest I've found so far. It's fairly pricey, and there are ones at less than half the price (but with less than half the capacity!).

Interesting to hear the same issues on a Nissan Leaf when the 12v battery needs replacement.

Edit: Lead acid you're only meant to discharge down to 50% before they start to break down. So a 10Ah lead acid battery only has 5ah that are usable. Lithium on the other hand can go down to about 10% without damage - so a 10ah Lithium battery has 9ah that are usable.

Edit 2: I'm slightly concerned as to the charging system for the 12v battery on the Elettrica, as it charges the 12v battery whilst the main battery is being charged. Apparently lithium requires specific chargers and overcharging (as is common with lead acid), can completely destroy a lithium battery. It's a lot of money this battery. Maybe it's best to play it safe with a standard lead acid replacement...
OP
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
Update: Played it safe and bought a new lead battery.

Found a couple of interesting things I thought I'd share.

The battery compartment is lined in plastic and has a drain hole that goes right the way through the bottom of the chassis. Is this standard on Vespa's?

Piaggio fit a YT7XL to the primavera and sprint, but they fit a smaller YT5XL battery to the elettrica and then use a plastic insert to make up the extra space.

I bought the YT7XL from a local shop without checking the bike, and I was thinking to return this - but instead I have removed the plastic insert and fit the larger battery.

The standard 5XL battery has a capacity of 4.2ah.

The 7XL battery has a capacity of 6.3ah - so a nice increase and means the bike can be left for longer between uses!

The new lead acid was £44 (from Halfords for the U.K. people). The lithium battery was 4x the cost.

If this lead acid doesn't last, I'll consider the lithium for the next change - but pleased with almost a 50% increase in capacity!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0150s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0083s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]