OP
UTC

Lurker
2007 LX 150

Lurker
2007 LX 150
UTC quote
I own a black 07 LX 150 and currently live in Portland, Oregon. I love this scooter; I bought it a few years ago after waiting a few years for this model and color combination to show up on the market. Anyway, I just accepted a job in Savannah, Georgia and I'm moving over there in November. Looking for forum advice:

1) I can toss up a price on Uship to have someone haul it over there for me. Looks like it'll cost around $600 at a minimum.

2) I can sell it Crying or Very sad emoticon and just try to buy again out in Georgia, though I imagine it could take awhile again to find.

Something else? I might be missing something. What would you do?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
I would probably ship it. You can also check haulbikes.com, which is slow but might be a little less.
UTC

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
UTC quote
Normal moving companies will take bike without gas as part of load.
@spacedog avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 GT200L: (-Jiffy5-) 2013 GTV300ie: (-RBBaron-) 2021 GTS 300 hpe

Hooked
@spacedog avatar
2005 GT200L: (-Jiffy5-) 2013 GTV300ie: (-RBBaron-) 2021 GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
You haven't said, but aren't you already paying to ship furniture and other possessions? If you are then ship the scooter too. If you have no other stuff to ship...Road Trip. Ride that baby all the way there. I wouldn't sell it, but that's just me.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.
UTC quote
you can sell it, but you can't replace it. its never the same.

ship it, trailer it or ride it, but I wouldn't sell it.
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i
UTC quote
The scene for Vespa in North Ga from my facebook feed and craigslist.:

Vespas of all types (lx50 through GTS) back to about 2006 are running $3k-$4k. Seriously. Occasionally, something will come up in the $1500-$3k range, and it will get gone quickly as long as the seller isn't a twit.

Vespas from about 2015 and newer are often going over $4k.

I am always on the lookout for a super low deal on an cosmetically great vespa, and they are far and few between (This weekend, I am going to pick up a 2016 GTS that I purchased for $1500 with " starts and runs but smells coolant in the exhaust" problems, so that's what you get in a 5 year old GTS for anything less than $4k). Probably thermostat, head gasket or cracked head (or all three).

So, windersdoor, if your LX150 is cosmetically good and running good and is up to date on maintenance, is it worth $600 to have it shipped vs. selling for what you can get there and paying $3k-$4k for the equivalent bike here... plus the unknown of what might be wrong with it. At the very least, there will be additional costs (tires/belt/fluid flushes) to do a service on a newly purchased used bike, and even more if you have it done at a Vespa Dealer (Marietta Vespa is the only one I know of in North Ga).

If you like your bike, I would have it shipped. If it has nagging problems that are getting you down, start fresh.
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
One question I have is:

To the place you're moving to, will you be good with the 150, or would it be better to move to a bigger scooter? Meaning, are there highways or higher speed roads that you must ride on by your house or to get to work, etc?

ie At the place I live, about two miles from my house is a 50mph road that everyone goes 60-65 on. I did not go on that road when I had my old 150, unless I had to. And even then, I tried to get off ASAP on side roads.

With my current GTS, it's no problem. And even enjoyable.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I vote keep it as well. If your mover won't ship it try Haul Bikes as Jess mentioned. I just used them and they are very reasonable as long as you are not in a hurry. https://haulbikes.com/

You are going to love Savannah BTW and it is a great town to ride a scooter in. It was also the start of the 2012 Scooter Cannonball.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
We're probably gonna be pretty biased around here about saying you should keep the bike. Laughing emoticon Hoch does bring up a good point, though.

Really, it sounds like you don't want to let it go. You have the crying emoji and everything. Keep it! You'll hold your breath and bite your nails the entire time it's on a truck en route, but it'll be worth it on the other side.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
You waited a long time to get just the scoot you wanted, so I'd ship it. Old Savannah is made for riding, and you can do it year-round.
OP
UTC

Lurker
2007 LX 150

Lurker
2007 LX 150
UTC quote
Awesome, thanks everyone for the advice!

Yeah, current plan is that we're putting all our stuff in a Pod for the first month or two while we rent a furnished place and check out real estate on the ground in Savannah. So I'd need to have it shipped special, since you can't (well, I guess I don't know for sure, but I imagine you can't) store a Vespa in a Pod.

Anyway, I'm going to go with the general advice offered here and ship it out to Savannah. (Though I love the road trip idea, ha, but I don't have the time). I'll check out haulbikes.com as well.

I'm also excited to hear from those of you that have been there that Savannah is a good riding town. I had a feeling it would be. Awesome. Thanks again!
@corn avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300 Super

Hooked
@corn avatar
GTS300 Super
UTC quote
In town riding, Savannah is great for a 150. The surrounding area is pretty spread out though. If you want to scoot out to Tybee, you really want to be able to hold 55 easily.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Wintersdoor,

I agree with those who would keep the scoot.

What is the difference between a 150 Vespa and large lawnmower. Ask the Pod People.
Tell them you have moped (You will drain gas) - will they allow it in the pod?

I was corporate moved. I shipped my wife's car in the moving van. They had a small
wood frame to cover it and packed all around and above it.

Pods are the latest. Interesting to find out if they will take a scooter. My moving
company would not allow flammable liquids (Paint cans, gas cans, had to drain lawnmowers and snowblowers.

Nice, you are moving to a milder climate.

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota

Bob Copeland
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I would also say keep it. It's the one you wanted for so long and honestly there are not a lot of scooters around Savanah to choose from. You would have to travel down to Jacksonville, FL or Atlanta for a decent amount to choose from. You will like Savannah, great scooting town, not too far (20 min.) from the beach (Tybee) and plenty of back roads to explore. You will just have to put up with the 3 H's - namely Heat, Humidity and the occasional Hurricane. It's a college town (SCAD) so lots of artsy things going on all the time. Good luck!
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Pods' rules do say you can't put a motor vehicle in their containers, fluids or no. And from personal experience, given the state of my belongings the last time I used a pod type service, I wouldn't even want to risk it. Go with a motorcycle shipper that genuinely gives a crap about your ride.
@fergy avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS300 Racing Sixties

Hooked
@fergy avatar
2021 GTS300 Racing Sixties
UTC quote
My Sprint 150 can hold 55. mph all day and hit 60 (real speed not speedometer) no problem here on the flats of Delmarva. So you should be fine down Savannah way unless you want to hit the interstates.
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3

Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
UTC quote
I'd sell and purchase a new model when you get down there. You'll not be sorry.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
unless you wanna splash some cash- new or used, keep it and ship it. the used market is TIGHT right now. anything that I've listed or brokered a deal on has sold within moments at full pop. and not, like, full pop two years ago. like, KBB+ or dealer's choice level of dough.

unless it's an old clapped out ET it'll be well worth it to ship.

my breakdown:
1- you know what you've got already
2- you have the hassle of selling a bike and then you get a bit of money
3- you have the hassle of finding another decent bike and shelling out dough

so, the hassle of selling and buying another bike plus the question mark and whatever repairs a replacement bike may need vs. shipping costs vs. buying brand new.
UTC

Hooked
GTS250ie, P125X Electric Conversion

Hooked
GTS250ie, P125X Electric Conversion
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
unless you wanna splash some cash- new or used, keep it and ship it. the used market is TIGHT right now. anything that I've listed or brokered a deal on has sold within moments at full pop. and not, like, full pop two years ago. like, KBB+ or dealer's choice level of dough.

unless it's an old clapped out ET it'll be well worth it to ship.

my breakdown:
1- you know what you've got already
2- you have the hassle of selling a bike and then you get a bit of money
3- you have the hassle of finding another decent bike and shelling out dough

so, the hassle of selling and buying another bike plus the question mark and whatever repairs a replacement bike may need vs. shipping costs vs. buying brand new.
I agree 100%. This is pretty much what I was going to say.
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
UTC quote
Motorcycles in a pod are no problem unless you make it one. I would drain the gas and put it in there.
@rgk avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS Super

Hooked
@rgk avatar
2021 GTS Super
UTC quote
Fritz Katzenjammer wrote:
you can sell it, but you can't replace it. its never the same.

ship it, trailer it or ride it, but I wouldn't sell it.
I could not agree more...I have sold several things for the sake of opportunity or convenience and regretted it soon thereafter. A couple of such sales involved motorcycles...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0129s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0023s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]