@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
UTC quote
Wonder if we have enough folks and interest here to create a decent catalog of vintage vespa factory tools? Maybe there is already a website/page out there with that info but I couldn't find one?

Post could include:
The Piaggio tool number, picture of the tool, models it was used for (Widebody, LF, SF), description of what it was use for. I know many of the factory tools have an obvious use, but there are some really interesting ones and some that are pretty unique.

Thoughts, comments, spitballs?
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

39 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
That's something that The Wiki is optimal for.

I've thought about starting a section that details parts by specification rather than just "fits model X" because I get tired of seeing things like a $5 Malossi head o-ring when I can get fifty of those for $5 when ordering based on the spec. Likewise for seals, bearings, nuts n' bolts, etc.

The other use case is when you would like to avoid paying $10 to ship a fifty cent part, then waiting for it to arrive when you could get at the hardware store in half an hour if you just knew the spec's.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
It also occurs to me that organizing those tool sets by task would be even more useful for most folks.

Think about how many times we've listed off the tools people will need prior to tackling a task or project for the first time.

I know that scooterhelp does this generically for common tasks, but a cross-reference with lists of tools for specific models might also be a helpful reference.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
I agree, it would make a great topic.

A pic of the tool, what it's for, and showing it in use would be helpful.

We've even got people on the forum with machines capable of reproducing some of them ... cough charlieman ...
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
That sounds like a really good idea. It should be a sticky or something. Maybe listed in terms of:

Absolutely must have
Very useful but not crucial
Nice to have if rebuilding/tuning often
Don't buy that, just use/make this

As a newbie, it would be helpful. Forum members have answered this question for me, but it's still hard to figure out what I need.

So far I have a case splitter, clutch holding tool, clutch nut tool, crank wedges and crank installer. I will be making my own castle nut tool for the drive shaft bearing as I have a lot of that stuff laying around.

Also, I'm sure a lot of people have dabbed stuff like engine stands, pullers and drifts. It would be nice to have that included.

Just my $.02.

Thanks
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
We've even got people on the forum with machines capable of reproducing some of them ... cough charlieman ...
I don't know if you noticed - Im just trying to create a round part with a pad that stays in place right now... 🙂
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0288s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0037s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]