@jsunstar avatar
UTC

Addicted
07 GT200, Flip flops

Addicted
@jsunstar avatar
07 GT200, Flip flops
UTC quote
my 2007 Vespa gt200 started running like crap out of nowhere. bike has about 7k miles.
it starts fine. idles Ok,
when you roll on the throttle, it boggs down and you have to twist the throttle on and off a bunch to get the scooter moving.
you have to find a sweet spot in the throttle to get it up to speed.
once it is up over 10 or 15 mph, it runs better but I still have to rev it up a little if im going slower...
i have read the forum for a couple days and came up with a possible solution, i think i need to replace the fuel and/or vacuum lines.
i took off the air filter and its black and turned to dust. replacing it too.
i also noticed that the vacuum line that runs along with the fuel line goes into the front of the carb, is wet.
I have to order parts online, im going to order and replace all the vacuum lines, fuel lines and filter, as well as the air filter.
anything else to check or replace?
thanks for any insight!
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Most likely you are experiencing a fuel-air mixture problemin the carburetor. If it runs ok at speed then it is most likely the idle circuit specifically.

I wholly endorse replacing those lines and air filter (don't forget to oil it) given the signs of a leak and the crumbling, but I would suggest a carburetor rebuild - or at least a very through cleaning by opening it up and doing all the jets and passages (not just dumping carb cleaner into the tank).

The degraded air filter or hoses could be the cause of the mixture problem, in fact - allowing particulates or hose debris to gum things up. I once had a literal chunk of fuel house clog my idle jet
OP
@jsunstar avatar
UTC

Addicted
07 GT200, Flip flops

Addicted
@jsunstar avatar
07 GT200, Flip flops
UTC quote
i was thinking the same thing, that when the air filter crumbled that something got into the jets.
it boggs through the low range but its better at higher speeds.
frustrating.
ive never removes a modern vespa carb... im sure i can find a video on youtube somewhere...
P range vespas were always my thing, this is my first modern one.

thanks for the advice, ill try the lines first, hoping that there is a vacuum line issue!
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Looks a bit sparse on details and an image is missing, but we do have a wiki entry on 4T carb cleaning: Carb and Jet Cleaning 125/150/200 engines.

I wouldn't be terribly shy about it - going slowly you are very unlikely to break something, especially if you've tinkered with carbs on older 2Ts before. The main thing to be aware of is these new carbs are structurally pretty different and more complex, so there are more parts to pull/replace

*edit* - here's a pro video from Vespa Motorsport:
OP
@jsunstar avatar
UTC

Addicted
07 GT200, Flip flops

Addicted
@jsunstar avatar
07 GT200, Flip flops
UTC quote
thanks again,
ive watched 3 or 4 videos from them as well as from other guys on youtube today.
I am used to the buell/HD CV carbs, essentially the same thing. ive rebuilt a few. (they are easier to get off than this one with the coolant lines and all)

i am ordering the hose kit, as well as oil filter and oring, belt and roller kit (its slipping a bit) along with the float bowl gaskets and idle jet as i am sure its gummy due to the air cleaner element disintegrating...

the scooter has been down here for 4 years running about 10-20 miles a week with zero maintenance. its my fault for being too busy to do anything with it but now it needs a good bit of attention.
thanks for the input! slow and steady, clean her up and maybe even touch up all the scratches with touch up I bought years ago when it was pristine!
OP
@jsunstar avatar
UTC

Addicted
07 GT200, Flip flops

Addicted
@jsunstar avatar
07 GT200, Flip flops
UTC quote
She's ready for some love
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Sounds like a clogged pilot jet. That's the one that transitions from the idle circuit to the main jet. They clog all the time. Get a piece of guitar string and stick it in there until you can see light when you look through it.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
Did you get this resolved?

I hate to hijack a thread, but I'm having the exact same problem, and it's killing me to figure out. Idles okay, bogs at throttle, runs amazing if I can get the rpm's up and I stay at full throttle, but it's hard to get there. Acts like I'm not getting fuel. Pumping the throttle, or just the accelerator pump makes it rev up.

I've replaced my intake manifold, it was cracked.

Replaced the fuel pump, wasn't holding vacuum.

New plug.

I've done my best to find vacuum leaks, but I don't think I have any more.

I checked my auto choke, it's working

The guy I bought it from forgot to put the plastic part that pushes the needle in the carb back down, it ran okay, but I replaced it anyway. He also had the float level a little high.

Do I need to lube my slide? Could it be getting stuck?

I didn't blow out the idle screw port, but all the other jets are clean…

Any ideas?
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
As mentioned, clean out the pilot jet. It's good you checked the other things and fixed them, sounds like the PO did not know what they were doing.
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
Yeah the jets are clean, I went through them today again just to be sure.

It didn't change the way it ran

I'll go back through tomorrow and do a full clean out/blow through, beyond just the main and pilot jets and slide.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Mauricemonge wrote:
Replaced the fuel pump, wasn't holding vacuum.

Neither should the new one.
If it's a Walbro, replace the carb. Someone left a piece out of the carb. It's anyone's guess what else isn't right.
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
Ah, guess I didn't realize how the fuel pump worked, I thought when I'd apply vacuum to it from a hand pump, it would hold, and just the oscillation of the vacuum pressure made it work.

It's a keihin carburetor. I'm not opposed to tossing a carb and replacing it. It just really gets to me having something working totally fine, then all of a sudden not working at all, and then not being able to diagnose it is the real bugger.

I'll keep at it and see if I can figure out what's going on for now. If it doesn't come together, I may just fork out the cash for another carb. Fairly certain it's carb/vacuum related.
⚠️ Last edited by Mauricemonge on UTC; edited 1 time
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Check to see if it does the same thing if you run it off a bottle. If not, it's the delivery to the carb. If so, likely the carb. You can run a GT through about 2/3 of a tank without a fuel pump, so you can also fill the tank and go from fuel valve to carb and vacuum. If it works, the problem is the plumbing.
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
Good idea.
When I pulled the carb yesterday, I checked to see if the fuel bowl was full of fuel. It was, so I'm pretty sure it's a carb issue. I've pinched off the vacuum lines feeding the pump and still had the same problems.

I'm going to remember the bottle feeding idea for the future though. I like that.
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
Update for my issue:
I did hooked up a vacuum gauge and it's bouncing violently from full vacuum to full pressure at idle. Pumping the accelerator fuel squirt on the carb makes the bike rev a little and the needle bounces less but still quite a bit. Valve adjustment didn't change anything.

Leakdown test looks good, Only air escaping is through the rings, and the percentage is low.

Cam opens the exhaust valves, eyeballing it I'd say it looks normal.

I'm thinking clogged exhaust muffler? Maybe I can tap a port into it and see what the pressure looks like.

Any thoughts?
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
UTC quote
Add an accumulator to your vacuum test rig to smooth out the pulses at idle
Any sealed container with a hose barb will work as an accumulator
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
I used a plastic bottle and it sucked it flat lol!
I've never heard of using something like that, it's a great idea.

When I got my new intake manifold, it didn't have a port for my evap system. I plugged the port on the carb to delete it.

I went back, removed the port on the carb, and I can now rev it mid ways in the rpm range. At high rpm's it bogs and pulses about one second on, one second flat.

I also removed the bolt on the exhaust before the muffler. I didn't measure pressure, but having it open or closed didn't seem to make any difference.

Just for safe measure, I measured my coil. The resistance is very high for the secondary side, so I ordered a new one.

I'll see what that does before diving back into this project.

Thanks again for all the help from this site
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Mauricemonge wrote:
Just for safe measure, I measured my coil. The resistance is very high for the secondary side, so I ordered a new one.
The secondary *should* be high resistance. 100's of metres of very, very thin wire...
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
Manual called for 3000+/-300 for the secondary, and .4-.5 for the primary.

I'm at ~8,000 and .3

It's cheap to replace, and I'll go from there when it's together.

I'm just not sure if having that evap port open or plugged is proper. Open runs better, but maybe it's masking a problem having it open.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Are you measuring directly on the coil or via the HT lead and/or plug?
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
I'm measuring from the cap, now that you say that, the cap probably is a resistor type Facepalm emoticon

Just checked, yeah it's good. Measures 2751, so within spec
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Mauricemonge wrote:
I'm measuring from the cap, now that you say that, the cap probably is a resistor type Facepalm emoticon
It is - 5k in fact. That's why I was suspicious.
Quote:
Just checked, yeah it's good. Measures 2751, so within spec
There you go.
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
It is - 5k in fact. That's why I was suspicious.
There you go.
Hahaha! Excellent call.

So I went back to thinking about my carb just now. Now that it'll rev to a mid range then bog at full throttle, I was wondering if I was rich or lean.
I sprayed some carb cleaner into the intake as it bogged it actually lit up at full throttle. So then I opened the top and manually pulled up the slide. And it revved!
I'm going to polish my slide, and see how much a new diaphragm is. I recently replaced mine on my cb350 and I didn't realize how much they can stretch out. This one doesn't look bad, but it is 18 years old
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
The slide will come most of the way up when I rev the engine if the intake is off, and if I force it the last little bit the engine will rev all the up, but it takes a second or two.

A buddy asked me to check the timing, since more fuel can mask a timing issue.

I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly. I'm using the timing notch seen through a peek hole near the water pump. Would this be the correct position?

I found elsewhere on this site that the timing should be around 10 degrees advanced at idle, and around 32 at high rpm. If I am measuring at the correct location, I'm reading 28 at low rpm, and like 55+ at high rpm where it doesn't want to run. Again, I may be measuring from the wrong spot
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
it's not the timing. unless you changed the CDI to something else.

more than likely it's your carb. either the diaphragm is compromised in some way or it is not sealed properly.

I'd bet good money that your problem is carb or intake tract related. diaphragm, spring for slide is bound up, needle is loose/not seated properly, vent to atmosphere is clogged/hooked up to wrong something or other, intake manifold, intake, or airbox not sealed.

saying that when you manually move the slide is the tell here.
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
I'm still having trouble with this.

I ordered a used (working) carb and it runs a tiny bit better, but the problem is still the same. At a certain throttle opening it falls on its face, but if I hold it just before that, it'll slowly rev up more and more. And a couple times I was able to get it to get it past a point (with some pops out the exhaust) to where it revs up great. It'll stay revving up high until I let it drop back down (with pops in that mid rpm range while decelerating).

I need to do a coolant bleed, I'm pretty sure there's air in the system.

Also, I didn't go through this carb to make sure everything was clean, I just kinda threw it on to see what it would do.

I'm getting pretty stumped. Unless my CDI is dying..
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
unlikely your CDI is dying, maybe your cap coil or HT lead or possibly a faulty plug.

but why for the love of all that is holy did you not clean the carb before installing it?

CLEAN THE CARB and report back.

if it starts and idles and half ass runs there's an easy fix there somewhere. the trick is just to find it and then make that repair.
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
New carb was very clean, but the main jet tube thingy was partially unscrewed!
I broke off part of the thermostat cover, so I'll need to replace before testing with it screwed all the way in.

Spark plug was replaced, and also swapped back with the original while testing with no difference.

Timing light didn't seem to be missing any sparks while firing at any rpm, but it doesn't mean the cap/wire further down doesn't have issues. I had ordered a replacement coil and cap, but it seems that it only works with spark plugs with the threaded end, my plugs don't have that option somehow.

I'll report back when I get a new thermostat and housing.

Maybe I'll plug the intake manifold and double check that I can pull a vacuum/pressurize through it with the valves closed.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Mauricemonge wrote:
New carb was very clean, but the main jet tube thingy was partially unscrewed!
red flag
Quote:
I broke off part of the thermostat cover,
fair, it's old and brittle.
Quote:
so I'll need to replace before testing with it screwed all the way in.
understood
Quote:
Spark plug was replaced, and also swapped back with the original while testing with no difference.
gotcha
Quote:
Timing light didn't seem to be missing any sparks while firing at any rpm, but it doesn't mean the cap/wire further down doesn't have issues. I had ordered a replacement coil and cap, but it seems that it only works with spark plugs with the threaded end, my plugs don't have that option somehow.
WTF?!??

first of all, timing light. what in the ever loving hell are you timing? you can't see the flywheel and TDC marks but for a tiny little inspection window. also there is NOT a provision to "adjust" the timing on these bikes. it's all fixed and controlled via the CDI. so BFD if the timing light flashes. that means zero-point-zero

did you order an OEM coil and cap or some janky shit off Ali express or amazon? threaded vs no threads doesn't matter. they both work as well. some plus have the option of both and some do not. if you're doing this kind of work, best to keep a few nipples around-- just in case.
Quote:
Maybe I'll plug the intake manifold and double check that I can pull a vacuum/pressurize through it with the valves closed.
why? I think you're chasing your ass here. this sounds 100% carb or intake related. plugging the manifold won't yield any tangible results. not having the intake vacuum port hooked up would.

my money is on something not assembled correctly or F'd out. on a secondary I'd say maybe, possibly something in the coil, HT, cap combo or finally you have the pick up in the stator going away. but those are usually a go/no go situation.
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
I appreciate your help, but there's no need to freak out and criticize me about using a timing light. The Timing light tells me if the ecu is shutting off spark, it almost felt like it was a spark shut off at a certain rpm. I simply wanted to confirm that.

The intake manifold pressure idea is because I read a thread where the new intake manifold didn't seal. The part around the bolt that makes contact can be raised. I filed mine down because mine also looked like it wouldn't actually seal with how low they sat, but I want to make sure it's sealed. I'd need to also plug the ports for this to work.

The coil I bought I didn't not install. I thought it was a proper coil, but when it came in I second guessed it's quality. The initial coil tested fine for resistance. It has no indication of arcing, and I even tried jiggling everything white it ran. I may try the other coil just for testing sake.

I do appreciate help, and I'm still learning, but forums can be full of people waiting to be rude any chance they get.
I don't think I'll be posting here anymore. I will however post up my results when this problem gets resolved for anyone in the future.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
apologies for freaking out on you then. I'll try to be of better assistance in the future. best of luck on your repair.
UTC

2004 gt200

2004 gt200
UTC quote
95% sure I finally have it.

I put it all back together today, and tried swapping the cheapie coil I bought. It still bogged, but would rev if I really gave it gas by pumping the accelerator pump and also got lucky - just as it did before.

My mind was really stuck on it being an ecu problem. It would cut right at a certain rpm. And if I was able to rev it up to full rpm, it would stumble on its way back down.

I did some reading specifically for rpm limiter and sensors, and two things popped up. A seat sensor limits rpm to 2000 (possibly only piaggio and later Vespa scooters), and in the manual I read the immobilizer not reading the key would also do that.

I put in both keys, but neither threw a code (I haven't had a code this whole time). I tried doing the programming sequence for the keys using my master key, but no luck. It also wasn't giving me the two blinks when I put in the master to tell me two keys were coded. Finally it threw a code with the master key for the immobilizer not reading it. (2 blinks then a solid illumination). It took me a number of tries for it to throw a code.

I'm hoping a transponder antenna fixes it, otherwise I may be looking for alternative options or at the computer.

I think the symptom of it bogging is the ecu cutting timing. And if I can get it to rev past a certain point by dumping fuel into it, the computer will go back to running normal timing if I get maybe 1000-1500rpm past it's cut off point.

Italian vehicles may not be for me if they're all quirky like this.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
Mauricemonge wrote:
95% sure I finally have it.
Let's hope so!
Mauricemonge wrote:
Italian vehicles may not be for me if they're all quirky like this.
It is 18 years old, so I guess we are moving into 'not quite as reliable as it used to be' territory. In comparison, the more modern F.I. machines are pretty much trouble free these days, but even these will probably become less reliant as they age. I know greasy mentioned that the CDI is an unlikely culprit, but they do fail and it might be the source of your problems.

Fingers crossed the replacement transponder antenna works.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0343s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0269s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]