@psgnw avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa PX125 Lusso - Honda CB400N

Hooked
@psgnw avatar
UTC quote
My fuel sender is kind of accurate from 1/2 to full tank. It stops sending info to the speedo after about 1/2 tank and this is kind of annoying Out of the tank the float seems to move freely. Is there any trick to get it to send it's rough estimate below 1/2 tank? Bending/cleaning/anything?

Tips on how to get this working would be very welcome.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
They are a variable resistor. Pretty random range that seems unique to Vespas at 0 to 350 ohms (from memory). Chuck a multimeter over it and see what readings you are getting.

Guessing if it isn't reading properly then replace.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I'd try sanding those wire wraps on the sender with some 400-500 grit sandpaper.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
Depends how it is responding. If you get good readings then it could be the gauge itself. If it is reading ok to half then stopping there must be a short/break) in the wires because not increasing/decreasing resistance beyond that point (can't recall if it goes up or down).

Is it just sticking at half on the gauge even when below?
OP
@psgnw avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@psgnw avatar
UTC quote
It sticks to half when the tank goes below. It works as good as it can before the tank is half empty. So that leads me to think that the error is mechanical rather than electrical.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
psgnw wrote:
It sticks to half when the tank goes below. It works as good as it can before the tank is half empty. So that leads me to think that the error is mechanical rather than electrical.
Could be either. Works like this - current goes through sender which is a variable resistor. That then goes to the gauge which has a small thermoplastic coil - it 'heats' opening the coil which moves the dial.

If you can put a multimeter across the sender and move the float you will quickly work out where the problem is - if the ohms are reading ok top to bottom then it is either the float is getting stuck in the tank, or the gauge isn't responding properly. If the sender ohms also stick at halfway, then it maybe a contact with float problem and cleaning that up might help - but I don't actually know enough detail about the sender/float to guess. Post results and happy to try help.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
Also - I assume the dial does go to the bottom when the Vespa is off? Which would rule out a mechanical problem with the gauge.
OP
@psgnw avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@psgnw avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the replies When turned off it goes to empty. I'll get my multimeter out on the weekend and see what I can figure out.

Funny thing is that earlier it was stuck on empty. Pulled it out before summer and cleaned it up and it started working from full to half.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0109s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]