OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
Has anyone seen interference/rubbing of a new Malossi belt inside the housing on a GTS 300?

I just changed the belt and rollers at 8K but used 21 X 17 13g Dr Pulley sliders (which I've used before on other GTS300's) and used a Malossi kevlar belt. The sliders seem to engage more quickly and the bike accelerates quicker that before. It does seem to be running at a higher rpm at 50-55 mph than before.

Bike runs GREAT up to about 55mph then starts acting like I'm pumping the brakes and feels like something is dragging. I suspect the belt is riding higher in the variator and might be hitting the inner housing.

I'll pull it apart later this week but wondering if any of you have experienced this.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
The dimensions of the belt are identical to stock. Your problem is that whoever did the work did something wrong.
@kevin_dean avatar
UTC

2008 Vespa GTV 250 1962 VBB 1965 VBB

@kevin_dean avatar
2008 Vespa GTV 250 1962 VBB 1965 VBB
UTC quote
I've had this exact experience and have tried multiple solutions. There is also several previous posts on MV discussing the issue. Search "fuzzy washer" as well.
My experience is that the sliders and Kevlar belt are incompatible. It WILL result in case rubbing at the top of the oil pan where it meets the crankcase and eventually pulls the oil pan gasket apart and results in a significant oil leak. I've also experienced the rubbing deceleration drag at speed.
BTW I now do as a matter of course ensure a new oil pan gasket is not protruding after installation and I sand and polish where the oil pan meets the case where the belt comes close. Even with stock components.
I've also tried three metal washers between variator half which does extend the time before the rubbing becomes a problem but it eventually does occur.
My advise is use your Kevlar belt (which are great) with a stock variator/roller setup OR use sliders with all stock bits especially the belt. I have a GTV and GTS of which each has these two combinations and work perfectly.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
Thanks! Yes, a little research indicates the incompatibility of the Malossi belt with the sliders. I'll switch back to stock rollers and next time put in the sliders with a stock belt.
@boraxman avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250

Addicted
@boraxman avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Can anyone chime in on the Gates PL30801 belt? - Picked up a couple for next to nothing and was wondering how these would act with stock components and Dr. Pulley sliders...Dont want the leak issues.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
boraxman wrote:
Can anyone chime in on the Gates PL30801 belt? - Picked up a couple for next to nothing and was wondering how these would act with stock components and Dr. Pulley sliders...Dont want the leak issues.
We used to sell Gates belts, and I would not hesitate to sell them again. They are an excellent belt, and as long as the dimensions are correct, will do what the OEM belt does. But they should last longer.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
OK, on further inspection, it appears that the Dr Pulley sliders (2117-13g) caused quicker acceleration and caused the motor to hit the rev limiter at about 57 mph. The "noise level" tach indicated running at max revs. I did experience much more aggressive acceleration and LOUDER engine. This obviously due to higher revs once the throttle is opened up.

Took off the cover and saw no witness marks or rubber dust of any rubbing of the belt anywhere. From what I can tell, these sliders must cause the variator to close the pulley faces very quickly. Once the belt is riding high, it's at the optimum (highest) gear ratio and then any more throttle and the motor hits the rev limit. Stock rollers back in and all's well with the world.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated as this is inverse to what the dr pulley site says.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
If you put Dr Pulley sliders in a GTS then you MUST add a 1mm thick washer between the driving pulley and the central bushing in addition to the original washer. Otherwise the belt (Malossi or OEM!) *will* rub on the junction between the oil sump cover and the rest of the housing, and *will* pull the gasket out leading to oil contamination inside the transmission cover and loss of oil.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
I think I remember that you can trim back the gasket flush to the casing with the added washer.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
I think I remember that you can trim back the gasket flush to the casing with the added washer.
It'll still pull out, BTDTGTTS
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
marklehnert wrote:
OK, on further inspection, it appears that the Dr Pulley sliders (2117-13g) caused quicker acceleration and caused the motor to hit the rev limiter at about 57 mph. The "noise level" tach indicated running at max revs. I did experience much more aggressive acceleration and LOUDER engine. This obviously due to higher revs once the throttle is opened up.

If you're bouncing off the limiter at 57mph with 13 gram anything, something's wrong and the variator is not moving correctly.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0820s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0434s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]