OP
@scootermanjosh avatar
UTC

Primavera 50 Touring First Edition 2019

@scootermanjosh avatar
UTC quote
The windshield on my 2019 Vespa primavera touring is stuck. I have gotten one side completely out but the other drivers left side is still stuck. I loosen the bolt and it comes out partially but then seems to catch on something. I have tried the trick to hit it back in with a hammer and it has not worked. The part that goes in the hole is a black sleeve with notches on both ends. I am attaching photos of (1.) what it looks like when the stuck side is fully in, (2.) what it looks like when i pull the stuck side all the way out, (3,) What the full out non-stuck side looks like. Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thank you
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
I've heard reports of this happening several times over the years. I don't know if there's a specific solution, except to keep pulling. The tubes that the expanding bits go into are steel welded to the handlebars (which are also steel) so you're not likely to damage the structure. Just be careful of the plastics around the hole.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I've heard reports of this happening several times over the years. I don't know if there's a specific solution, except to keep pulling. The tubes that the expanding bits go into are steel welded to the handlebars (which are also steel) so you're not likely to damage the structure. Just be careful of the plastics around the hole.
Maybe use a spreading clamp to help you separate it. Also, maybe use a lubricant?

I have a couple rules I live by when I have to do things like this. ...If I use tools like screwdrivers and pry bars, I always ask myself what can go wrong and make sure I won't stab or hit yourself when they slip, because you know it will. The second rule is don't do critical things at the end of the day. They almost always go wrong for me at the end of the day because I'm usually tired, maybe sore from a day's work, frustrated that I can't get it apart and just want to get the effing job done.

I'm sure you'll get it apart.
Miguel

This is a Bessy (they make quality tools) spreading clamp from Amazon. The clamp ends are reversible so it can clamp as well as spread. There are a lot of clamps like this and hopefully one of them can help you in a price range that works for you.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
OP
@scootermanjosh avatar
UTC

@scootermanjosh avatar
UTC quote
Thanks miguel. Do you have any idea how I would attach the spreading clamp to be able to use it?
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
scootermanjosh wrote:
Thanks miguel. Do you have any idea how I would attach the spreading clamp to be able to use it?
I don't really know. It's one of those jobs you have to look at from every angle to figure out the best approaches. Fortunately you have one side off. I'd start by studying the one you have off and try to figure out what's stuck before doing anything tho. Sometimes solutions take time to gestate and not immediately obvious but comes to you when you least expect it.

You might also look at repair manuals and youtube videos

Keep us posted. Miguel
@schuitro avatar
UTC

GTS300 Super HPE, Primavera 125, S 50 4T

@schuitro avatar
GTS300 Super HPE, Primavera 125, S 50 4T
UTC quote
Remove the windscreen from the supports.
Then rotate the support 1/4 turn. Now it should come out.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
Do what Schuitro says. It should come out, but may not. The problem is there is a spring (more of a snap ring) which holds the metal end part of the shaft in place. During fitting or removal sometimes the spring, which is a bit like a horseshoe in shape, moves around in it's housing and becomes dislodged. The spring actually fits into a slot on the outside of the steel cylinder that the shaft passes into. If that spring or snap ring doesn't line up with the flat on the shaft that passes through, it then won't let the windscreen mounting shaft pass through as it wont line up. If it really wont come out you will have to remove the scooters headstock plastic to get to the spring. You can then manually remove the snap ring and get the windscreen off the bike. It's easy to refit the spring but this can happen from time to time so be prepared. Good luck!
OP
@scootermanjosh avatar
UTC

@scootermanjosh avatar
UTC quote
It worked!!! Thank you everyone who helped!
⬆️    About 7 months elapsed    ⬇️
@robertgoesbyjim avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Supertech

@robertgoesbyjim avatar
GTS 300 Supertech
UTC quote
Dude. WHAT worked??? 😵‍💫
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 59,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 59,000km
UTC quote
RobertGoesByJim wrote:
Dude. WHAT worked??? 😵‍💫
not sure what worked for them, but with my supertech I have to rotate the brackets 90degrees when pulling them out. didn't have to do this with my old gts.
@robertgoesbyjim avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Supertech

@robertgoesbyjim avatar
GTS 300 Supertech
UTC quote
Thank you! I apologise for posting in frustration. My windscreen brackets were stuck after I initially got them out to remove the headlight assembly to replace the bezel, then reassembled the windscreen before replacing the mirrors. (Edit: the mirrors don't turn with a windscreen in place - Duh.) That is when - of course - the windscreen brackets wouldn't come out, and the Allen bolts holding the windscreen to the brackets were super-tight. Anyway, resolved. I used gentle, increasing pressure in the Allen bolts and did loosen them to remove the windscreen from the brackets, which then turned slightly and slipped out. Thank you for your reply 😃
⚠️ Last edited by RobertGoesByJim on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@scootermanjosh avatar
UTC

@scootermanjosh avatar
UTC quote
Sorry Guys for not saying which one worked. I took off the wind screen and rotated it and it came out.
@robertgoesbyjim avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Supertech

@robertgoesbyjim avatar
GTS 300 Supertech
UTC quote
Confirmed, ScootermanJosh! 😁
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0233s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0122s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]