OP
@raettig avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GTS 300 SuperTech 2023 (Not yellow), Vespa GTS SuperSport 2018 (Matte yellow). Vespa Sprint 125, 2014 (Yellow)

Enthusiast
@raettig avatar
Vespa GTS 300 SuperTech 2023 (Not yellow), Vespa GTS SuperSport 2018 (Matte yellow). Vespa Sprint 125, 2014 (Yellow)
UTC quote
i was perhaps inspired by adam sandoval - https://www.adamsandoval.com/ - who rode a harley and had a chihuahua called scooter. since i ride a scooter the name for my new friend was somewhat inevitable. meet my new pillion, harley.

i've now relocated the dog carrier in place of my top box. though removing the top box was an epic journey as some of you will appreciate.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
doggles
doggles
⚠️ Last edited by raettig on UTC; edited 1 time
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
UTC quote
Careful, Harleys can be unreliable overweight lumps that tend to leave damp spots wherever they are parked. I hear it all depends on their maintenance.

Cute little feller!
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
she's he's a cutey
⚠️ Last edited by fleece on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@raettig avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@raettig avatar
UTC quote
more pics.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Fritz Katzenjammer wrote:
Careful, Harleys can be unreliable overweight lumps that tend to leave damp spots wherever they are parked. I hear it all depends on their maintenance.

Cute little feller!
The HD does not leak, it gets wet because it is always horny.
The little dog is nice.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
He could be the answer to the "How to secure your Vespa" thread.
OP
@raettig avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@raettig avatar
UTC quote
she /is/ my fierce guard dog. be careful, she'll have your arm off.

now if i could just train her to put her paws out to indicate, and give biker nods.
Bobo wrote:
He could be the answer to the "How to secure your Vespa" thread.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Is her last name Quinn?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Is her last name Quinn?
Likely... there's a hard look in those eyes.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Cute little gal!
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Cutest Harley ever!!

My old chi girl used to love riding with me. She wasn't a huge fan of the Doggles, but it didn't take her long to associate them with going for a ride, so she grew to tolerate them. I didn't have a fancy case for her, but I did have one of those little pouches you wear on your chest that she sat in. I couldn't touch the thing if she was anywhere near it, or she'd go nuts until we went for a ride.

Just be warned that you may end up creating a monster...

One time, I spent the day at a friend's house a ways out of town to go look at a used bike nearby. Left my dog with the friend, went out to test and eventually purchase the bike, came back. I open the door, and my dog takes off--straight for the bike. She jumped up on the floorboards, and waited expectantly, because OBVIOUSLY that bike was now hers, and why the hell weren't we going anywhere on it yet‽ She had cats to bark at from high speed, dangit! I occasionally questioned whether she liked me or my scoots more.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
This thread wins the internet today.
OP
@raettig avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@raettig avatar
UTC quote
thanks for telling all of that. hopefully it bodes well for the adventure i'm just beginning here. harley doesn't like the doggles much. i think, like your dog, she will learn to associate them with good things. i have a sling that i often carry her in, and have considered using that on the bike. there is also a small canvas carrier that i could shackle into the footwell. the big dog carrier is kind of overkill for such a small dog. but i feel good about it. i'm considering finding a way to bolt a windscreen to either the carrier or the rack to give her some wind protection. when i had the carrier on the pillion seat she was more protected by my back. with it where the top box was she's a bit more exposed and it puts the weight pretty far back, but it means i can easily access the underseat and my riding position was too squished up with it on the pillion seat.

i anticipated having to teach her slowly to tolerate being near the bike. first with engine off, then with engine on. then being in the carrier while stationary. it turns out she took to it much more readily. we had used it for a bunch of car journeys to get her used to the carrier. we've only done a few rides with it on the bike but she was totally cool with it. standing up and looking around until the speed got too high. she certainly likes all the attention she gets whenever we park up somewhere.

i strongly hope to create the kind of monster you describe
Witch wrote:
Cutest Harley ever!!

My old chi girl used to love riding with me. She wasn't a huge fan of the Doggles, but it didn't take her long to associate them with going for a ride, so she grew to tolerate them. I didn't have a fancy case for her, but I did have one of those little pouches you wear on your chest that she sat in. I couldn't touch the thing if she was anywhere near it, or she'd go nuts until we went for a ride.

One time, I spent the day at a friend's house a ways out of town to go look at a used bike nearby. Left my dog with the friend, went out to test and eventually purchase the bike, came back. I open the door, and my dog takes off--straight for the bike. She jumped up on the floorboards, and waited expectantly, because OBVIOUSLY that bike was now hers, and why the hell weren't we going anywhere on it yet‽ She had cats to bark at from high speed, dangit! I occasionally questioned whether she liked me or my scoots more.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Too cute!

Our little chidorkie (chihuahua, doxie, yorkie, and then some) loves to ride. She puts up with her doggles and "helmet" because they let her get facetime with the wind.
She now sits in a front-pack so she can "walk" out on my left arm as we increase speed.
She now sits in a front-pack so she can "walk" out on my left arm as we increase speed.
OP
@raettig avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@raettig avatar
UTC quote
that is truly delightful. great to hear about other happy bike dogs and that picture is adorable.
Guzzi Gal wrote:
Too cute!

Our little chidorkie (chihuahua, doxie, yorkie, and then some) loves to ride. She puts up with her doggles and "helmet" because they let her get facetime with the wind.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
That's a badass Harley! Does it have loud pipes? Razz emoticon
OP
@raettig avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@raettig avatar
UTC quote
it is a bit more high pitched than you might expect.

but it's also surprisingly fuel economical. it can go all day on a tiny amount of bio-fuel.

i can also confirm that my vespa is faster than my harley.
fledermaus wrote:
That's a badass Harley! Does it have loud pipes? Razz emoticon
@reddogalberta avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Sport

@reddogalberta avatar
GTS 300 Sport
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[img]

I'm very curious about the rack between the feet. Do tell.[/img]
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
raettig wrote:
it is a bit more high pitched than you might expect.

but it's also surprisingly fuel economical. it can go all day on a tiny amount of bio-fuel.

i can also confirm that my vespa is faster than my harley.
Higher pitch and economical... sounds like the Harley Sprint, which makes it Italian and therefore Vespa compatible.

*sigh*... I miss the Sprint line, you would think that Harley, who are so into their history, would look back at the Sprint and say something intelligent like: "Hello... we made a small, economical sporting motorcycle?... I wonder if that would appeal to the younger masses we hope to attract in hopes of saving the company" or words to that effect.

Ha!
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
RedDogAlberta wrote:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[img]

I'm very curious about the rack between the feet. Do tell.[/img]
I've got one of those racks, useful and pretty inexpensive from Vespa Motorsport in California, even taking freight to Ontario into account.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
I've got one of those racks, useful and pretty inexpensive from Vespa Motorsport in California, even taking freight to Ontario into account.
I've thought about getting one of those racks and strapping a pet carrier, like yours, to it. It would be less exposed and I could still pet the pup.
OP
@raettig avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@raettig avatar
UTC quote
i got my footwell rack from classic racks here in the uk.

https://www.classic-racks.co.uk/

the dog carrier is the kuryakyn grand pet palace.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Witch wrote:
Cutest Harley ever!!

Helluva life-companion right there. (And I say that as a cat dude.)
@jmj avatar
UTC

2021 Piaggio Liberty 150

@jmj avatar
2021 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
This story reminds me of a couple I saw a few years ago, obviously enjoying their ride!
OP
@raettig avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@raettig avatar
UTC quote
if i edit this post to change the title it won't mess up the comment thread, right? i just thought it might be good to make it clear from the title that this is a 'dogs on bikes' thread, since there are some lovely comments in here.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
raettig wrote:
if i edit this post to change the title it won't mess up the comment thread, right? i just thought it might be good to make it clear from the title that this is a 'dogs on bikes' thread, since there are some lovely comments in here.
That won't cause any issues.

Harley is so dang cute and tiny! She needs her own biker dog Instagram account. Razz emoticon
Ava the scooter pup.
Ava the scooter pup.
The faster we go, the farther she walks up my arm.
The faster we go, the farther she walks up my arm.
OP
@raettig avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@raettig avatar
UTC quote
thanks. title updated.

harley has basically commandeered my twitter account (raettig) and my own instagram account (chrisraettig).

thanks for providing what i had been meaning to request with those additional photos. that's amazing. so happy to hear about other biker dogs. i see what you mean now about her walking up your arm.

harley is saving up for a harley davidson bandana. i wear a belstaff jacket on the bike. sadly it seems they don't make a dog jacket, though barbour do and that might make us seem more like a matching team.

clearly many more pictures to come as i get out and riding with her more. will also see if i can mount the gopro as a dog-cam.

i now have a vespa, a tent, and a dog. i plan to combine these things for some european touring.
Guzzi Gal wrote:
That won't cause any issues.

Harley is so dang cute and tiny! She needs her own biker dog Instagram account. Razz emoticon
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
raettig wrote:
thanks. title updated.
...instagram account (chrisraettig).
Following! Clap emoticon

If she is interested in following other Instagram riding pups check out frifrithemorkie and avadogge. Ava is my pup (we share the account Razz emoticon) and Frida is a club members pup.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
I still don't see the Harley Davidson which is mentioned in the title, all I see is a lovely little dog.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0317s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0151s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]