@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
A little background prior to asking the question.

My wife and I each have a 2016 Sprint 150 that we put in the back of a Chevy 2500HD truck and then hook a small travel trailer to it. The truck is large with an extended cab, 8 foot bed and 20 inch wheels. This can make for a steep push up ramps. The scooters make it easy to get around and park in some of the locations we camp at.

We also have two GTS 250's and a GTS 300. Our plans are eventually to do some extended camping (months) and would like to have the larger scooters for this. We have looked at toy haulers, Class C motorhomes with a trailer in tow but have not found anything we like.

Our latest thought is a van such as a Mercedes Sprinter 2500 van with the diesel. It has a good payload capacity, much more than we need and has a towing capacity of 7,500 lbs which would easily tow our camper. This way we could modify the van to carry the two GTS 250's and have some storage.

Concerns are comfort of ride and noise. I would make a barrier between cargo section and front seats.

So, has anyone done this or something similar with a van? What was your experience?

Thanks in advance.
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
UTC quote
I saw a Mercedes long wheel base camper, which had the bike storage at the back
The front wheels were under the sleeping platform
It was made by these guys
https://sportsmobile.com/van-interior-options/
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
If you have a LWB mid roof van. With staggered wheel chocks, you'll avoid the handle bars clashing. The tie downs will be a challenge and you might have a problem with the center stand against the wall or wheel well. You might have storage area behind the first bike and in front of the 2nd bike.
I have a SWB Transit. I use a milking stool by the bumper to make walking up the bike easier but I can do it without it. Find out the interior dimensions of a LWB and chalk your driveway to test it out first.
⚠️ Last edited by breaknwind on UTC; edited 2 times
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
I'm used to walking my bike up on the left side. I forgot about walking it up on the right side
@2wheelsdan avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300 supertech

Hooked
@2wheelsdan avatar
GTS300 supertech
UTC quote
Finally, something scooter related that I have some experience with. We have a Chevy Express 3500 with a Quigley 4x4 conversion. We are using it exactly as you describe. We have 2 GTS 300s that go in the van when we tow our Airstream trailer. It is a snug fit and doesn't leave much room in the van for other stuff, but they do fit. We use a wheel chock system similar to this that I made myself.

https://2yrh403fk8vd1hz9ro2n46dd-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Bolt-It-On-Rack-System-Motorcycle-Transport-Review-2.jpg

As mentioned above, the wheel chocks should be staggered so handlebars don't hit. I have to remove the mirrors due to overall height. I will try to get some pictures of our setup and post them later.

A few words on vans and towing. Ford Transits and Mercedes Sprinters have a lot of roof height and wheelbase options. That can make hauling bikes of any kind, much easier than the older Ford E350 and Chevy Express vans. Unfortunately, the newer vans are built using unibody construction and as such are not ideal for towing. The issue revolves around the need to use a weight distribution hitch (WDH) as trailer weights start to exceed the 3-4 thousand pound range. Both Ford and Mercedes recommend to NOT use a WDH with their vans. You will see people ignoring that recommendation, but I will take the advice of the manufacturer over an internet expert.

We had Honda Monkeys on this trip, but you get the idea.External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
OP
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
2wheelsDan - thank you for the information. Two items that were leading me towards a Sprinter were the option of a diesel and 4x4. I hadn't gotten that far into investigating to see about the unibody construction.

I think I can find something that will work with some research over the winter. The TT I tow has a dry weight of 5200lbs, so the towing capacity of the Sprinter is 7,500lbs so would work with some safety margin.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0130s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0047s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]