Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:42 pm

Lurker
piaggio mp3 500 /2015

Lurker
piaggio mp3 500 /2015
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:42 pm linkquote
My First post here, so greetings and hope it helps for newbies...

I had trouble finding how to ADJUST PARKING BRAKE on this vehicle (PIAGGIO MP3). When I went to a local NON-VESPA mechanic here he seemed unsure and fiddled with the brake CABLE.

I had found some postings here about adjustment to the parking brake along with some confusion as to what to adjust so the scooter doesn't roll when on a hill (I don't advise parking on a STEEP hill anyway without the central stand being applied).

I liked to engage the lock for keeping the bike from tilting and then simply using the parking brake (without using the central stand). The bike, however would roll back so this was a hindrance (unless parking on a horizontal surface).

I needed the parking brake to hold on a gradient. The solution was to:-

1. Release the parking brake (*lever down)
2. Put the bike on its central stand so the back wheel rotates freely (off the ground).
3. Use a wrench and loosen the screw (12/13 with flat sections on end) located behind the brake calliper (part that grips the disk when applying the brake, if you aren't sure). If still not sure, look at the other side of the wheel: you will see the black toned calliper. Visually mark the MIDDLE of the calliper and then look on the other side of the wheel where the brake cable is and you can verify the screw/nut - with flats - assembly.
4. Loosen the NUT (anti-clockwise) on this assembly with a wrench by several turns and then turn the SCREW clockwise to the point where it 'bears' on the wheel (you will feel resistance on the wheel and it will no longer turn).
5. When you find this point take a mini-wrench or pliers and place it so it fits in to (or grips) the flats on the screw. You can now turn the screw back only 1/4 of a turn. Now rotate the wheel to make sure it's free from the calliper's grip and the wheel should turn easily.
6. You can now tighten the nut so the screw can no longer turn with bike in motion (vibration). When proceeding make sure the position of the screw has not moved (keep the mini-wrench on it so it doesn't turn when you tighten the nut.
7. Remove the central stand and test the bike so that it engages the brake when on a slope.

*If this adjustment did not work for you then look for new pads or issues with the cable etc. NOTE: The cable should be slack when you proceed with the above.
Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:51 pm

2018 Mp3 500 LT Sport ABS

2018 Mp3 500 LT Sport ABS
Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:51 pm linkquote
Hello rissorowog,
I am having trouble visualizing this, is it at all possible you could post some pictures to aid the description.
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0228s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0042s) ][ Debug on ][ 209 ][ Thing One ]