OP
UTC

Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
 
Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
UTC quote
Hello all I'm new to the site. Need a little help here I'm going crazy. Just bought this 1980 vespa p200. Had bad gas so I cleaned the tank out, put a new fuel tap and rebuild the carb and new lines. It starts but when I give it gas it acts up and starts bogging up and down. I'm at a lose. I've tried different spark plug, spark plug wire, coil also tried feeding fuel straight to the carb to eliminate the fuel tap. Please assist me I'm going crazy.
⚠️ Last edited by Napolikidd on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
 
Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
UTC quote
I can't get the video to upload. Put it on you tube see link.

https://youtube.com/shorts/nj-1s3xcTHc?feature=share
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
UTC quote
Welcome!

First of all, I can't make sense of the engine sound in the video because you are revving it a bunch. We need to hear it just idling on its own, and maybe then held open steady at a certain throttle position, or a single opening of the throttle from true idle to wide open, to get a sense for if something sounds wrong (hitches, gurgles, etc)

Second, I noticed your autolube hose is disconnected. Unless it has formally been converted to a premix bike, connect that thing up, put oil in the autolube tank, and stop running and revving it until you do!

Lastly, the general symptom of a scoot bogging when you open the throttle our often an air leak (too lean), but I think there's not enough info to go on yet. Is everything stock?
OP
UTC

Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
 
Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1553
Location: Tucson, AZ
 
Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1553
Location: Tucson, AZ
UTC quote
Have you been messing around with the carburator at all? the last time that I had that issue it ended up being my fuel line coming from the fuel tank pinched under the seat and also a bizarre and rare mistake made by my mechanic putting the wrong size studs on the engine case and the carburator hollow nuts wouldn't seal the carburator box into the engine case causing something similar to that.

I would personally remove the carburator, pull every jet and look at the gaskets again and retighten.
OP
UTC

Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
 
Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
UTC quote
All new gaskets
⚠️ Last edited by Napolikidd on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
 
Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
Have you been messing around with the carburator at all? the last time that I had that issue it ended up being my fuel line coming from the fuel tank pinched under the seat and also a bizarre and rare mistake made by my mechanic putting the wrong size studs on the engine case and the carburator hollow nuts wouldn't seal the carburator box into the engine case causing something similar to that.

I would personally remove the carburator, pull every jet and look at the gaskets again and retighten.
I just rebuild the carburetor and replace all the gasket to the base of the air box and the carb to air box. I have taken the carb off 3 times and inspected it and place it back on and same thing goes on.
@garncarz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1011
Location: York, PA (the intellectual center of the universe)
 
Molto Verboso
@garncarz avatar
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1011
Location: York, PA (the intellectual center of the universe)
UTC quote
Napolikidd wrote:
I just rebuild the carburetor and replace all the gasket to the base of the air box and the carb to air box. I have taken the carb off 3 times and inspected it and place it back on and same thing goes on.
The stock gasket between the carb box and the intake is VERY thin. If there is even a little pitting or warp in the carb box, it will leak. Maybe get some marginally thicker gasket material and make your self a copy? It worked for mine.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Joined: UTC
Posts: 896
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.
 
Addicted
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Joined: UTC
Posts: 896
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.
UTC quote
Lightly greasing the gaskets can also help, it'll kill any small leaks without making things impossible to get apart cleanly later.
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1346
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
 
Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1346
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
UTC quote
From the sounds of that motor, if the carb was leaking, fuel will roll down the back onto the floor. Is that happening?

Can you provide some more history of the bike? Was the bike sounding like that before the carb build? What made you rebuild the carb? Will the bike rev high if you turn the idle screw all the way in? Did you remove the flywheel or anything else on the bike before, after, or during the carb rebuild.

Maybe a passage way in the carb is stuck somewhere. How detail was the carb rebuild? Did you remove everything from carb and blew carb cleaner and air through every hole? What are the air mixture and idle screws settings?
OP
UTC

Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
 
Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
UTC quote
rowdyc wrote:
From the sounds of that motor, if the carb was leaking, fuel will roll down the back onto the floor. Is that happening?

Can you provide some more history of the bike? Was the bike sounding like that before the carb build? What made you rebuild the carb? Will the bike rev high if you turn the idle screw all the way in? Did you remove the flywheel or anything else on the bike before, after, or during the carb rebuild.

Maybe a passage way in the carb is stuck somewhere. How detail was the carb rebuild? Did you remove everything from carb and blew carb cleaner and air through every hole? What are the air mixture and idle screws settings?
Fuel is not leaking.
I rebuild the carb because two week ago I received the vespa and it had a tank full of bad gas. So I cleaned the tank change the fuel
Tap and cleaned the carb.
The guy I got it from said it was running not to long ago.
I did not remove anything else on the bike.

I did completely take the carb apart and blew through all passages. The air fuel is seat at 1 and a half turned out from all the way in and the idle screw is set to were the slide is just barley open.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9838
Location: Nashville

46 Days Since Last Explosion
 
Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9838
Location: Nashville

46 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
Are you pre-mixing 2t oil into the gas? Because while the oil line is hooked up, it looks like it's still empty.

Also, it looks like there's no spitback out of the carb at all when you rev it. There shouldn't be a ton, but there should be some. That makes me think fuel starvation, so something is not flowing right through to the jet stack?

Alternately, it could always be electrical...
OP
UTC

Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
 
Member
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7
Location: Florida
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Are you pre-mixing 2t oil into the gas? Because while the oil line is hooked up, it looks like it's still empty.

Also, it looks like there's no spitback out of the carb at all when you rev it. There shouldn't be a ton, but there should be some. That makes me think fuel starvation, so something is not flowing right through to the jet stack?

Alternately, it could always be electrical...
No it has an oil tank which I replace also. The line is full may be the video it doesn't look like it but its flowing. And there is spit back with the gas. Like right now I have it running and it idling perfect just get weird when I give it gas.
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4568
Location: London UK
 
Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4568
Location: London UK
UTC quote
Clutch seal is a great place to have an air leak
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9838
Location: Nashville

46 Days Since Last Explosion
 
Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9838
Location: Nashville

46 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
Jack221 wrote:
Clutch seal is a great place to have an air leak
And a terrible place to have to fix one.

Drain the crank case oil and see if it's watery and smells like gasoline. If so, you're splitting the cases and your journey is just beginning.

If you have a pressure test setup, you can confirm it's the clutch side seal because you can feel the pressure at the oil breather, too.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0158s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0044s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]