@jimjar avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 LX150ie

Hooked
@jimjar avatar
2012 LX150ie
UTC quote
Long story short, My LX150 got knocked over. Most of the damage is on the metal side panel, which is somewhat dented and has lots of fairly deep scratches. (see photo)

It was an attractive scooter, and I want to get it fixed. It is worth about $2K, so I don't want to spend more than that on repairs. It was hard ion Austin to even find a body shop guy who will work on bikes, most just said 'no'.

So...I found a guy who works on bikes and can fix it. His estimate was $700 to $1000, which is okay. He said he won't paint it on the bike, but he will remove the metal body and fix and paint it standalone.

So....he told me that I can save $300 if I do the mechanical work of removing the body and deliver just that to him. He said he never worked on a Vespa, but he thinks it would take him about 3 hours to disassemble and reassemble.

I would like to save the money, but is this a suckers bet? It kind of sounds interesting, and if it took me 6 hours to dis/reassemble that's fine, but will it take me 20? Or require some special skill or tools?
Side panel scratches
Side panel scratches
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC quote
That's your only damage? Find another bodyshop. There is no need to take apart the whole scooter to blend the one side panel.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
The problem is that the "panel" you're looking at is part of the frame. It can't actually be removed.

It really sucks, and it's a serious bummer, but I don't think most Vespa folks would consider that a huge amount of damage in the grand scheme of things. Taking care of larger dents in that area frequently requires dropping out the engine to do so. Most people don't bother, unless the bike has more sentimental value, or they just really like taking on the project.

Not saying it can't be done, it just might involve a lot more work than you expect. That's probably why you can't find anyone who wants to do it.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I agree, find another body shop. You don't need to remove the fenders off a car paint them. I mean, I can understand where he is coming from, but it is too much work to remove everything. He just wants to paint the whole thing so he does not have to worry about a perfect paint match.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
UTC quote
Jimjar wrote:
Long story short, My LX150 got knocked over. Most of the damage is on the metal side panel, which is somewhat dented and has lots of fairly deep scratches. (see photo)

It was an attractive scooter, and I want to get it fixed. It is worth about $2K, so I don't want to spend more than that on repairs. It was hard ion Austin to even find a body shop guy who will work on bikes, most just said 'no'.

So...I found a guy who works on bikes and can fix it. His estimate was $700 to $1000, which is okay. He said he won't paint it on the bike, but he will remove the metal body and fix and paint it standalone.

So....he told me that I can save $300 if I do the mechanical work of removing the body and deliver just that to him. He said he never worked on a Vespa, but he thinks it would take him about 3 hours to disassemble and reassemble.

I would like to save the money, but is this a suckers bet? It kind of sounds interesting, and if it took me 6 hours to dis/reassemble that's fine, but will it take me 20? Or require some special skill or tools?
It's hard to look at your baby all scratched up, but clean up the scratches the best you can with rubbing and polishing compound and elbow grease, then get a nice graphic or two to cover up the worst of what remains. Vespas get scratched A LOT on their "flanks" and there are a million different graphics solutions to minimize the appearance. You might even be able to get a wrap shop to put custom wrap on both sides to match for way less than $1000. That's nuts. Plus, as others have mentioned, Vespa frames ARE their bodies, unlike Asian scooters, which are generally plastic covered step through motorcycles. There aren't that many body panels that come off, and certainly not the cowl areas of a Modern Vespa. Best of luck.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
And then there is the 2-tone idea for a different approach to repainting the cowls without a complete respray.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC quote
Any bodyman who tells you to remove everything from the frame to fix a side panel is feeding you shit, and telling you it's chocolate pudding. Here is my friend's 2015. He went down at low speed on the right side. It put a slight dent in the metal and scratched the plastic bottom cowl. $825 to repair this. Took the shop two days. Is it 100% perfect? No. Go over it with a fine tooth comb, you'll find a booger or two. The paint blended well. Just like groundhog day without the hot chick.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
I wouldn't even bother getting that repaired. No it's banged up you'll never have to worry about another scratch or ding again.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
A way out if you want to go with the two toned look is vinyl wrap. It amazing what you can do with that stuff.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0209s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0118s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]