@garncarz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J

Molto Verboso
@garncarz avatar
UTC quote
I am trying to keep everything as original a possible on my new scoot, including the paint. That being said, after I had addressed the corrosion, the paint on my tail light holder was all but gone. I don't want to spend a hundred bucks for a custom matched liter of paint to be air freighted in from Italy or Germany, when all I need is about 2 ounces.

Does anyone know of a readily available (in the USA) can of off the shelf paint that is "close" to the original Allstate red? Thanks.
⚠️ Last edited by garncarz on UTC; edited 3 times
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
I would suggest taking a piece with color on it and bringing it to the local paint guy - and ask them if they can mix a pint of single stage to match.

I have had the good fortune of the local guy matching my 62 Allstate blue perfectly. It was more of a side thing for him, obviously because it's not a real money maker for him.
The label he put on the can
The label he put on the can
The rack I brought in for him to color match. Can you see the wet paint?
The rack I brought in for him to color match. Can you see the wet paint?
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
UTC quote
usually when I run into these situations I look at the other colors on the bike and figure out which one I could use that won't stand out. i.e. on my GTS the finish on the foot pegs is aluminum covered with a clear, but the clear had all gone cloudy and peeling. Instead, I looked at the bike and noticed the sheer number of black details already there. I painted them matte black and you don't even notice them.

It's the same approach I'm taking on my PX. Anything that has to be painted will be painted black, as there is already so much black on the bike.

My guess is if we aren't finding a good red match that you can skate by with silver or black, but a picture of your bike would help.
OP
@garncarz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@garncarz avatar
UTC quote
In 58 years someone has to have said: "Eureka! Walmart brand red number XYZ123 enamel paint, looks just like my Sears Allstate." That's what I am looking for.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
You may find an answer on a site dedicated purely to Allstates. FB probably has one, but there must be a forum out there.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
garncarz wrote:
In 58 years someone has to have said: "Eureka! Walmart brand red number XYZ123 enamel paint, looks just like my Sears Allstate." That's what I am looking for.
It's not that easy to match faded 57 year-old paint. Try taking a piece of your scoot to an auto supply store that carries Duplicolor touch up paint in rattle cans. You'll probably find a red that's close enough.
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
It's not that easy to match faded 57 year-old paint. Try taking a piece of your scoot to an auto supply store that carries Duplicolor touch up paint in rattle cans. You'll probably find a red that's close enough.
The best and most accurate approach. You'll probably have good enough luck if you have a reference piece on hand in the store. The duplicolor paint quality is good for rattle can too.
OP
@garncarz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@garncarz avatar
UTC quote
Thanks SoCalGuy.

Eureka! Duplicolor Perfect Match BCC0419 Flame Red (PR4) is really a pretty close match. With a new grey gasket in between the newly painted tail light holder and the fender, it blends in OK. One painted surface is new and the other is 57 years old, not withstanding.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Duplicolor/318/BCC0419/10002/-1#
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0211s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0115s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]