@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
Anyone looking for a nice insulated winter riding jacket, check this out. H-H has them on their site too, but no Large, so I had to find another source. I have a similar shell from Frog Toggs, but the insulation in this one should be good for those colder (below 30 degf) days. Good price at $143 with shipping.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/product/itemKey/32380273
@tor2ga avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric

Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
UTC quote
Might be okay standing in the road waving a flag at night, but worth f***all for protection when you do the pavement luge off your scooter. Get real gear made for motorcycle and scooter riding.
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
Tor2ga wrote:
Might be okay standing in the road waving a flag at night, but worth f***all for protection when you do the pavement luge off your scooter. Get real gear made for motorcycle and scooter riding.
So, you wear full leathers and Kevlar riding your scooter? I don't think there are many of us out there that do that. We are generally not riding like high speed motorcycles do...crazy speeds and cornering. I rarely go over 45 mph. On city streets.

A high quality full face helmet, leather gloves, boots, long pants, and Hi Viz jacket and Hi Viz over-pants (when cold or raining) are pretty much what I do. Most other people I see riding in my area are in shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops. I am an anomaly.

The main hazard on the road is being seen by the 4-wheelers. I don't do things that cause me to crash on my own. If I do get hit car a car, I don't think that any other "gear" will help me out much. I can live, or die, with that. It a risk I am willing to take without going overboard on equipment that won't make much of a difference.

Maybe you push things to the extreme, in terms of riding style, and that is OK, but not me. The flip-flop people likely think I am nuts and I am OK with that too.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
This is my winter jacket
https://corazzo.com/products/mens-viaggio

And i agree with Tor2ga

PS your link to them HH doesn't work
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
This is my winter jacket
https://corazzo.com/products/mens-viaggio

And i agree with Tor2ga

PS your link to them HH doesn't work
That looks really nice. It is a bit out of my price range though. I have to keep under $200. My last one was a Frog Togg and it has lasted pretty well for the past 4 years. Nicely constructed except the zipper (keeps un-zipping on its own). I decided to get this H-H because it is insulated and maybe a better zipper.

In terms of agreeing with Tor2ga....how is your selection any more motorcycle or scooter worthy? I don't see any Kevlar fabric, chest, or elbow protection involved.

Not sure why the link doesn't work...it does when I click it. Same jacket is on the Helly-Hanson workwear site, but they are out of sizes.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Once you are aware of the risks, ride to your personal risk tolerance.
Mine is Aerostich, Shoei Neotec (soon to be 2), gloves and boots.
But then, I do go 75+ MPH, and have no interest in learning what the pavement luge does to my own personal steak. Facepalm emoticon

So, in terms of winter wear, it's fleece under my Aerostich. Gets me to ~30F. Below that and I'm too worried about black ice to enjoy the ride.
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Once you are aware of the risks, ride to your personal risk tolerance.
Mine is Aerostich, Shoei Neotec (soon to be 2), gloves and boots.
But then, I do go 75+ MPH, and have no interest in learning what the pavement luge does to my own personal steak. Facepalm emoticon

So, in terms of winter wear, it's fleece under my Aerostich. Gets me to ~30F. Below that and I'm too worried about black ice to enjoy the ride.
Perfect sum-up: "Once you are aware of the risks, ride to your personal risk tolerance."

The Aerostich sure is sweet, with protection too. But, I am a budget rider. Couldn't afford a $6000 Vespa, so got a $3000 Piaggio. Can't afford a $700-800 jacket, so I get a $140 one.

That jacket gives me some incentive to save up, but it would take a while. Maybe I can just add some body armor under mine...I see some within my reach. With financial means comes some safety I guess. Poor me...at least I have good health insurance!

In Denver the colder it gets the less snow and moisture, so I have ridden as low as 3 DEGF. I just go out to the street and do the slide test (run and try to slide) before I leave the alley.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
Fellow Liberty rider...
Find yourself a comfortable riding jacket with 5 pcs of orange D30 pads. Mesh for summer, for cold rides add thermal layers under it with a hiviz Oxford waterproof over-jacket for a top layer. Buy large enough for layering.
Car grills, pavement, light poles and roadsigns are just as painful at 35 as they are at 65.
You're doing yourself a disservice if you imagine otherwise.
Let's enjoy our Libertys, as safely as possible.
O.S.
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
Whether on my BMW K75 or my Vespa GTS 250, I almost always wear full gear -- armored jacket and pants, full face helmet, motorcycle gloves and boots. I will rarely ride with lined jeans instead of the armored riding pants. And then usually to run down the street to the corner cafe.

I've ridden with all the gear since my first spill in the snow about 15 years ago. Jeans just don't cut it, especially when a knee knocks on the pavement.

Here's a shot of my outfit. It shows my old First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. I now have a new one. And in the summer I have a KLIM summer riding jacket. Both Hi-VIZ.
Riding chariot style.
Riding chariot style.
My KLIM jacket for summer.
My KLIM jacket for summer.
The new Hi-Viz Kilimanjaro is great in the snow.  With a few layers I am good below zero.  At least I used to be.  Age has interfered.
The new Hi-Viz Kilimanjaro is great in the snow. With a few layers I am good below zero. At least I used to be. Age has interfered.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Whether on my BMW K75 or my Vespa GTS 250, I almost always wear full gear -- armored jacket and pants, full face helmet, motorcycle gloves and boots. I will rarely ride with lined jeans instead of the armored riding pants. And then usually to run down the street to the corner cafe.

I've ridden with all the gear since my first spill in the snow about 15 years ago. Jeans just don't cut it, especially when a knee knocks on the pavement.

Here's a shot of my outfit. It shows my old First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. I now have a new one. And in the summer I have a KLIM summer riding jacket. Both Hi-VIZ.
as always, great pics
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
OldSchooot wrote:
Fellow Liberty rider...
Find yourself a comfortable riding jacket with 5 pcs of orange D30 pads. Mesh for summer, for cold rides add thermal layers under it with a hiviz Oxford waterproof over-jacket for a top layer. Buy large enough for layering.
Car grills, pavement, light poles and roadsigns are just as painful at 35 as they are at 65.
You're doing yourself a disservice if you imagine otherwise.
Let's enjoy our Libertys, as safely as possible.
O.S.
What are orange D30 pads? What jacket do you recommend that has this? Is it a reasonable price?
⚠️ Last edited by Goob on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:

I would love to be able to buy a KLIM jacket, but just don't have that kind of bucks. Will have to take the risk.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Goob wrote:
What are orange D30 pads?
https://www.resurgencegear.com.au/product/d30-armour-hip-knee-sets/

they slide into pockets on the inside of your kevlar jeans and bike jacket.
@kevin_harrell avatar
UTC

Addicted
1980 Honda Twinstar and 2004 Yamaha V Star

Addicted
@kevin_harrell avatar
UTC quote
Do a goole search for motorcycle jackets, find a likely site, and start shopping. With a bit of luck you will find a site with discounted discontinued jackets where you can find really good low prices.

Or, find a reasonably priced classic styled leather motorcycle jacket like the ones worn by motorcycle gangs. These will really save your hide from a slide and some of them are armored. When fully fastened up these jackets will keep out the breeze are fairly warm. combine one of these jackets with a turtle neck sweater and you should be good to go.
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
"Affordability" is relative. Once you wreck and get a concussion or worse, a $400 jacket and $600 helmet is a steal.
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
Based on comments, I have become open to trying to do some armor, if I can find something within my budget. So far I have found a pull over type "shirt" with chest and elbow protection..not too practical (Revzilla about $100). Something that zips up would work better.

My question is how do people deal with commuting to work with some of this gear? Right now I do the layering on the top and riding pants when it is cold.

Is all of this stuff as easy on-off as that? Some of it pretty much looks like you need to carry your work clothes separately and change completely at your destination.

Thanks for input. Not sure I can do much though. I have a good job, but just am not rolling in the bucks. I shop Goodwill for clothes...Kevlar Jeans with pockets don't show up much there.
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
hoch wrote:
"Affordability" is relative. Once you wreck and get a concussion or worse, a $400 jacket and $600 helmet is a steal.
Ahh..to have a spare $1000. A lot of people have to deal with not. Nothing against those who do. I am probably going to have to rely on the luck I have had over the past 44 years of riding.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Goob wrote:
Based on comments, I have become open to trying to do some armor, if I can find something within my budget. So far I have found a pull over type "shirt" with chest and elbow protection..not too practical (Revzilla about $100). Something that zips up would work better.

My question is how do people deal with commuting to work with some of this gear? Right now I do the layering on the top and riding pants when it is cold.

Is all of this stuff as easy on-off as that? Some of it pretty much looks like you need to carry your work clothes separately and change completely at your destination.

Thanks for input. Not sure I can do much though. I have a good job, but just am not rolling in the bucks. I shop Goodwill for clothes...Kevlar Jeans with pockets don't show up much there.
I wear my gear to work, dressed for work underneath. No need to change, just remove jacket and pants (and helmet and gloves).
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@goob avatar
@kevin_harrell avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@kevin_harrell avatar
UTC quote
An old guy I used to work with would wear about six shirts to keep warm on his motorcycle. He also figured that there was enough padding in the shirts to keep him save, and that it would take quite a slide to grind through all the shirts.
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@goob avatar
UTC quote
Kevin Harrell wrote:
An old guy I used to work with would wear about six shirts to keep warm on his motorcycle. He also figured that there was enough padding in the shirts to keep him save, and that it would take quite a slide to grind through all the shirts.
Well, I am an old guy and I have six shirts!
@fergy avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS300 Racing Sixties

Hooked
@fergy avatar
2021 GTS300 Racing Sixties
UTC quote
I've scored really nice , lightly used armoured jackets, Kevlar jeans and over pants on eBay and Facebook Marketplace at bargain prices. Always worth a look.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
How about something like this>. https://www.leatherup.com/products/xelement-mens-scooter-style-black-textile-jacket-with-orange-stripes?variant=31974860095531
It doesn't mention armor, but probably has spaces for it.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Goob wrote:
Ahh..to have a spare $1000. A lot of people have to deal with not. Nothing against those who do. I am probably going to have to rely on the luck I have had over the past 44 years of riding.
You can get jacket and helmet for around the $300 mark... You need to spend $1000 only if you want to pay extra for popular brands... I always feel a bit silly when some of my friends do show up with a new $150 helmet that does the same job and it is comfortable and light as my $600 Shoei... Same goes for Jackets... I know, some of us think that because we pay more we get better quality, but I have witness first hand a much better finish quality out of my M2R Adventure jacket than the BMW Adventure one...

I think these days, it pays to shop a bit longer and not to be concern with brand's name, as the manufacturer country of origin seem to be the same all the time...
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Kevin Harrell wrote:
I used to use newspaper under my jumper to keep warm in winter on the way to work...

Back in those days, there was only leather available for Jacket, and they didn't look "cool", and off course were very expensive..

Plastic bag around your feet, were also extremely common...

To be honest, it was much easier back then, as people didn't judge as much as they do these days..
@spirovision avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS super 300

Hooked
@spirovision avatar
GTS super 300
UTC quote
I used bohn body armour and
then layered it up. Easy to take care, washes well, dries fast and good protection.

cool in the summer and with layers great in the colder temperatures.
That way I could ride reasonably comfortable and safely.
https://www.bohnarmor.com/
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I want the best riding gear available.
I just don't want to pay for it.

https://www.ironpony.com/closeouts
@g8r avatar
UTC

18' GTS 300 - 18' Sprint 150 - 17' Smax 155

@g8r avatar
18' GTS 300 - 18' Sprint 150 - 17' Smax 155
UTC quote
I second the Bohn Armor shirts and pants. I wear them year round under both riding jackets and Kevlar jeans. I just simply remove the supplied "armor" in the jackets and pants, slide on the Bohn Armor and good to go. They come standard with CE level 2 armor that is very well made.

I wear a waxed canvas Merlin jacket in wet, foggy, windy weather with a high viz vest over it. The jacket feels like I am wearing a weighted electric blanket, cozy and warm all day long.
Hi VIZ Layer or summer riding shirt
Hi VIZ Layer or summer riding shirt
Thermal armored layer
Thermal armored layer
Merlin...Magic!
Merlin...Magic!
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I take the pads out of my jeans when I get to work.

I buy cargo pants with external knee pockets to make dearmoring when I park easy.
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i
UTC quote
Decent armored waterproof jackets start at about $180.

If you have to wear a coat in winter anyway, why not wear something that is made to protect you in a slide?
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
Goob wrote:
I would love to be able to buy a KLIM jacket, but just don't have that kind of bucks. Will have to take the risk.
I understand the monetary issues. I would never have purchased a KLIM had Revzilla not had a special sale during which I could purchase the jacket for only a few dollars more than you would pay for the jacket you posted. So keep your eyes open.

And check eBay. I've seen really good deals on riding jackets there.

I got the same sort of good deal on my First Gear winter riding jacket. I've been pretty tight fisted when it comes to gear. It's why I'll probably never buy a Aerostich suit!

At the end of the day, it has seemed a false economy to me to not ride with protective gear.

Good luck with your search!
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
I find that kneepads in pants are prone to wander around, both vertically and left to right around the joint they are supposed to protect. I remove my pads and strap on protective pads OVER my pants, under my rain pants. Similarly, I use elbow pads strapped to my arms underneath my riding jacket.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Goob wrote:
Anyone looking for a nice insulated winter riding jacket, check this out. H-H has them on their site too, but no Large, so I had to find another source. I have a similar shell from Frog Toggs, but the insulation in this one should be good for those colder (below 30° deg f) days. Good price at $143 with shipping.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/product/itemKey/32380273
I would happily wear that over my protective gear. I like my winter jacket, but it's not warm enough for me. I've gotten very thin-blooded living in the desert.
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
I would happily wear that over my protective gear. I like my winter jacket, but it's not warm enough for me. I've gotten very thin-blooded living in the desert.
I've gotten thin blooded and I live in a cold climate. Old age is my excuse!
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
Goob wrote:
What are orange D30 pads? What jacket do you recommend that has this? Is it a reasonable price?
I haven't been over 55mph on a scooter since I sold my Burgman in 2017.
I still wear armored jacket, helmet, leather gloves, armored pants, boots every ride. If I had to change at work - I'd drop the armored pants and maybe the boots.
If I'm commuting at high speeds - take the car.
Maybe...
Search "FirstGear" jackets. Buy hiviz armored jacket, whatever brand you settle on.
Search D30 pads. Add 5 of them to most any jacket which comes with proper elbow, shoulder and back-pad pockets.
I think you want a jacket - not a shirt.
I wear a FirstGear mesh tex hiviz jacket, or a leather ICON "Sanctuary". For cold or rain I add a Oxford "Rain Seal" hiviz over-jacket.
O.S.
@babola avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS HPE RSW - Rally Snow White

Hooked
@babola avatar
UTC quote
The Vespa is my lifestyle choice not a necessity dictated by requirements of daily commute.
I wear Richa and Segura leather jackets, and usually jeans. Even in Winter. When raining I pull a rain top slip on over. But then again my work and usual riding distances are much shorter in my case and the weather is mild.

I know this is more southern Euro style but that's me, it must be in my genes having ridden Vespas for most of my life both in the Med in my youth and now in the Antipodes.
Cheers.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
I also recommend military vests.
@babola avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@babola avatar
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Yup, in Spring and Autumn I wear M-65 jacket and sometimes M-65 fishtail parka. Kind of Mods style and a nice match for a Vespa, especially if you happen to own one of those classic and vintage models.
@aiosi avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500

Hooked
@aiosi avatar
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
How about this one?
Military Surplus Italian Blue Carbineri Cold Weather Motorcycle Jacket
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1022947932?pid=211865
$89.00 for a waterproof and armored jacket but they only have XL, and only 5 left.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
babola wrote:
Yup, in Spring and Autumn I wear M-65 jacket and sometimes M-65 fishtail parka. Kind of Mods style and a nice match for a Vespa, especially if you happen to own one of those classic and vintage models.
The modern Vespa IS also vintage.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0289s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0097s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]