OP
UTC

Lurker
2020 Vespa Sprint 150 Notte, 2007 Piaggio BV250

Lurker
UTC quote
Hi,
I'm detecting some seepage from underneath my 8000 mile BV250 scooter that seems to be from the part seen in the photo. Basically, a small coin-sized leak is seen after the scooter has been sitting about 24 hours after its last ride. I'd like to replace the gasket from that connection near the exhaust outlet that has the two screws. I'm hoping that solves the problem without having to take the engine out and replace that major gasket in the background!

Oh, and I did replace the oil sump and gasket which solved a different leak but not this one.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
What is this part?
What is this part?
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
UTC quote
mborkum wrote:
Hi,
I'm detecting some seepage from underneath my 8000 mile BV250 scooter that seems to be from the part seen in the photo. Basically, a small coin-sized leak is seen after the scooter has been sitting about 24 hours after its last ride. I'd like to replace the gasket from that connection near the exhaust outlet that has the two screws. I'm hoping that solves the problem without having to take the engine out and replace that major gasket in the background!

Oh, and I did replace the oil sump and gasket which solved a different leak but not this one.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
That tube is part of the emissions system. There's nothing really to leak from it except exhaust.

I had a leak in my GT200 in exactly the same place. It turned out to be the cylinder base gasket (where the black and silver engine castings meet), which requires removing the engine, pulling the head and cylinder, and installing a new gasket once you clean up the mating surfaces. It's time consuming, but not difficult if you have space and tools.

Hopefully, it's not that, and someone with lots more experience can weigh in, but it looks awfully similar.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Ugh. Definitely not the answer I wanted to hear but I really appreciate the insight.

Given that the scope of the effort is beyond my comfort level I will have to take her to either a local scooter repair place or the nearest Vespa dealer for them to fix. Any ballpark figure for the cost of having an expert address a leak like this?

Some places are historically backed-up for repairs, so in the event that you couldn't get an appointment to get this fixed for several weeks (or over a month) would you leave the oil intact and place a bucket under her, or drain the oil to prevent further leaking?

Worst case, should I drain the oil for winter storage?

Thanks again!
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
UTC quote
mborkum wrote:
Ugh. Definitely not the answer I wanted to hear but I really appreciate the insight.

Given that the scope of the effort is beyond my comfort level I will have to take her to either a local scooter repair place or the nearest Vespa dealer for them to fix. Any ballpark figure for the cost of having an expert address a leak like this?

Some places are historically backed-up for repairs, so in the event that you couldn't get an appointment to get this fixed for several weeks (or over a month) would you leave the oil intact and place a bucket under her, or drain the oil to prevent further leaking?

Worst case, should I drain the oil for winter storage?

Thanks again!
I can't advise you on repair costs, because I do almost all my own work, but it'll take several man hours (if that is indeed what is wrong). The gaskets, washers, o-rings, etc you need are fairly cheap. No real need to drain it at this point. The oil (or is it coolant, or both?) seep because they've been pumped up into the head during running and pressure/temperature force them out of what is probably a tiny leak until the engine cools and everything equalizes. If it were me, I'd put a disposable baking sheet or cake pan under it to catch the drips until you can get it repaired. If you run it, just keep an eye on the oil and coolant levels. Engines eventually leak. Go to any car or airplane show, and everybody has drip pans under their engines. Good luck.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
Go to any car or airplane show, and everybody has drip pans under their engines. Good luck.
A joke my friends and I play at classic vehicle rallies is to put a slick of oil under the engines that don't leak. The owner panic is a hoot!
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
The irony is as a former owner of an old Harley-Davidson one would think that I would be used to oil leaks by now...
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
A joke my friends and I play at classic vehicle rallies is to put a slick of oil under the engines that don't leak. The owner panic is a hoot!
ROFL emoticon
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
UTC quote
mborkum wrote:
The irony is as a former owner of an old Harley-Davidson one would think that I would be used to oil leaks by now...
I've owned a couple of Sportsters. I feel ya.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0170s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0077s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]