OP
UTC

Lurker
2019 BV350

Lurker
2019 BV350
UTC quote
My first DIY oil change. Oil filter has the 3 8mm bolts. Do I need a new O ring, spring and crush washer for the oil drain plug? Dealer only sold me oil and new filter.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Buddaman wrote:
My first DIY oil change. Oil filter has the 3 8mm bolts. Do I need a new O ring, spring and crush washer for the oil drain plug? Dealer only sold me oil and new filter.
Seeing it's your first post, welcome to MV!

Can't help a lot as I have a 2013 model and some things have changed. I think with mine it was strongly suggested that the O-ring be replaced and not reused, but it mightbe reusable on newer models. Best practice, I believe, is replacing the crush washer every time, but I think you can get away with reusing (I just did, as I didn't have one and wanted to change oil before winter storage and well, it's getting late). Figure a leak here is simply a lesson learned...and a bit of oil. The spring should be good...

You actually have a dealer in Baja?
OP
UTC

Lurker
2019 BV350

Lurker
2019 BV350
UTC quote
We live a block from the beach in Playas De Tijuana, the first beach community south of San Diego. So my dealer is Vespa Motorsports in San Diego, usually a 45 minute drive from our house.

My 2019 with only 2300 miles seized completely going 65mph A few months ago so I have a brand new motor, which just passed 600 miles on it so I was going to do its shake down oil change. After taking out the three bolts on the oil filter cover the cover was sealed shut and not even a hammer released it. So back to the dealer where I'll ask about the O ring and crush washer and 90% sure the answer will be yes. Thanks for your note.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Welcome.
O-ring, no. Crush washer yes. You can reuse a copper crush washer once by heating till red and quench in water, don't do it twice. I had the original oil filter O-ring in my 2014 with 45,000 miles but it's not recommended.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Watch the Scooter West video on BV service. Those oil filter caps are tough but if you pry just right, it'll come off. It's because of the tight O-ring.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Sheesh, sounds like you've had a go with that bike already. Weird to seize that soon....Have you kept up with our oil threads here? Razz emoticon

Nice to have Vespa Motorsport within range. About as good of support as you can get. Good luck!
OP
UTC

Lurker
2019 BV350

Lurker
2019 BV350
UTC quote
Weird seizure. Usually due to no/lo oil. My oil was full. No one knows why; Vespa Motorsports says they've never had that happen before, and they've been around a long time, and Robot definitely knows his bikes. So, yeah, been a hard luck buy so far. Lots of problems with Piaggio getting the new motor, but after a few months (yes, months) they finally got their act together, shipped the motor and extended my warranty. Folks at Vespa Motorsports were very supportive as usual, but the problem was with Piaggio corporate/whatever.

I've watched most of Robot's videos on oil change but none featured the three bolt cover; he just mentioned prying it off while working on the screw on cap. I'll just call them tomorrow and ask cuz I don't want to crack/break the cover. Man, it's like super-glued on.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Good luck. In my experience I'm just afraid about going too far in my approach and an experienced voice can help get the job done.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0105s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0018s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]