@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
I sometimes will put my Liberty up on the stand while seated, which allows me to exit on the right instead of the left, which is easier in certain situations

I roll backwards, while my left foot pushes down enough to cause the stand bite
Bonus points for doing the maneuver without banging your helmet on the windshield

Anyone else?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
Neat trick
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Or get a non-US X9 500. They had/have a hydraulically operated centre-stand. You had to have the engine running, and there were all sorts of other interlocks which in the fine tradition of Italian electrics caused no end of problems. Most of us just bypassed them all of course...
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Be careful to do that maneuver while standing above the saddle, the ground must be perfectly flat and rough.
If you slip or there is a lateral tilt, you risk overturning to the side.
OP
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Be careful to do that maneuver while standing above the saddle, the ground must be perfectly flat and rough.
If you slip or there is a lateral tilt, you risk overturning to the side.
"Be careful to do that maneuver while standing above the saddle"

Would that be the Indian Larry version?
Indian Larry was standing on the moving bike when it began to wobble and went out of control
https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/indian-larry-dies-from-head-injuries.10362/
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
I have seen this maneuver done several times and several times it did not go well ... I only say to be careful and not to not forbid.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Darwinism prevails...

Hopefully previously 'stupid' people will learn their lessons and become 'aware' of their surroundings.

A centre stand isn't difficult, and yes, it can be done very safely while still astride the bike.
OP
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
The trick worked on chinese sccoters too, the stand on a tao tao was mounted further forward, which made the push down part easier
After downsizing from a ranch on a dirt road to an apartment with underground parking I kept insisting my wife should park [tao tao] on the centerstand here in our parking garage, I finally took her to prove she could do it
The very next day, she parked with the sidestand not quite down, the scooter fell over, taking her with it & breaking her leg slightly :O
Every once in a while I ask her if she wants a sidestand on her Liberty...

When I had a big burg, I wanted to install a 2 stage centerstand off I think it was a Kawasaki voyager touring bike
One lever locked the stand down, a second raised the bike up off the ground
In the end I modified the parking spot with a chunk of 1 inch thick stallmat under the rear tire which greatly reduced the effort to get the thing on the center stand
I also kept a couple of 1 foot squares of stallmat strategically placed in the dirt driveway, so I could use the side stand while I opened the gate

I had a K1000lt bmw, which had a rubber covered handle/footpeg that popped out as a hand hold for getting it up on the centerstand
The handle was low enough to be useful

Both of the italian versions of centerstands I own are of good design, the lever & it's position are easy to use, like any centerstand it's the 1st thing to grind
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
I know a guy who starts up his scoot on the center stand, then rocks his body back (to get the rear wheel on the ground) then hits the gas. Never saw anyone else do that, but it works for him.
@rolledoats avatar
UTC

2021 GTS 300 Super Sport

@rolledoats avatar
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
I know a guy who starts up his scoot on the center stand, then rocks his body back (to get the rear wheel on the ground) then hits the gas. Never saw anyone else do that, but it works for him.
That's how I was taught to start. Do other folks do it differently?
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
... then he signs up with MV to complain about the breakage of the central stand ...
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
That was the only way to get off the centre stand with the PX... I still do that with the GTS.. Force of habit I guess...

Is not very hard to do once you master the timing with leaning back, pull on the handlebar a bit and accelerate. A bit harder to achieve with the traction control on..

Note:

It will eventually damage the centre stand, especially if you don't manage to get off, at the first try as the stand goes back hard and is not just the weight of the scooter...

I would say in Italy the majority of Vespisti still do it...

Another common thing was doing wheelie while changing between first and second gear. You had to pull the front brake at the same time to get some help from the front shock. That was with standard engines...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
Launching off the centerstand for burnout or wheelie is the advanced version far easier with a clutch, though a handbrake is easier to drag with precision

Rocking a big bike/scooter off the stand with a passenger is best with helmets to avoid TBI, sometimes a small adjustment to the height & shape of feet/pads or position when locked can ease the operation

I keep seeing references here to centerstands not being capable of carrying the weight of more than just the scooter or impending doom transporting on the stand?

I have seen centerstands crack a weld or have the tips ground off/mangled
I have seen a centerstand bolt be a bit bent, if it's one long bolt & not so hilarious hyjinks ensue trying to remove long bolts that go through motor case
I suppose a Vespa with a unibody might be different than something with a tube frame
I have seen older scooters that have what looks like 1/2" thin wall conduit for a center stand...

When transporting I prefer to have the bike up on the centerstand, pound a stack of boards under the back tire to keep the front down & the rear suspension taking part of the load
On a bike with forks, I add an eyelet to one of the fork clamp bolts for front tiedowns
The eyelet is 1"x 3/16" flat ss, with a couple of holes drilled
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
A lot of older guys who used to ride old british bikes do this. That was the way back in the day. I have a customer who's a cool old cat with a Triumph Bonneville. Sat on his bike, did a weird jumpy hippy thrusty thingy. He's been over a few times. It's the only time I've ever seen the old timer move quickly.

I had him teach me. It's entirely inefficient and unnecessary, but he said it was the hip thing to do among his crowd back in the day. I like that he keeps it alive.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Garthhh wrote:
I have seen centerstands crack a weld or have the tips ground off/mangled
I have seen a centerstand bolt be a bit bent, if it's one long bolt & not so hilarious hyjinks ensue trying to remove long bolts that go through motor case
I suppose a Vespa with a unibody might be different than something with a tube frame
I have seen older scooters that have what looks like 1/2" thin wall conduit for a center stand...

I've seen the engine case break at the center stand. Mostly on smaller bikes repeatedly ridden off the stand by over capacity riders.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Garthhh wrote:
Indian Larry was standing on the moving bike when it began to wobble and went out of control
https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/indian-larry-dies-from-head-injuries.10362/
"Indian Larry was a man with great skill and talent as a mechanic and metal sculptor"

Not so hot with riding skills...
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
On my old Vespa 160GS from 1962 - 1963, I am not sure, that was the standard Italian way.
In the old Vespa standing on the center stand (it only had a center stand) the rear wheel was on the ground.
So you step on the scooter, set the ignition and the choke on, kickstart the engine, then switch to first gear and hit the gas.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0161s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0087s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]