OP
@rolledoats avatar
UTC

Member
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 31
Location: Brooklyn, NY
 
Member
@rolledoats avatar
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 31
Location: Brooklyn, NY
UTC quote
So I was filling up my 2021 GTS 300 today using the technique described in the FAQs but, despite my best efforts, I still managed to spill a little gas. "Ah well," I thought, "next time I'll get it." When I went to put the cap back on, though, I noticed the gas was all the way up to the brim of the fuel tank, a feat I haven't managed to accomplish until now.

I was afraid to just put the cap back on and hope for the best so I asked the clerk inside if he had anything I could use to get some of the excess gas out. He said all they had were paper towels, which I thought was an insane idea as I wasn't going to sop up a bunch of gas with paper towels and then throw them in the trash.

However, not seeing any other solutions, that's basically what I ended up doing — I wadded up a few paper towels and soaked up enough gas to create about an inch of room between the gas and the fuel tank opening. Not wanting to just chuck the gas-soaked paper towels in the trash, I soaked them in water first and then threw them away.

Obviously, none of this was ideal and next time I'll be sure to further underestimate how much fuel I need, but is there anything different I could've done to fix my overfilled tank situation? I couldn't think of anything else at the time, even after looking through some MV threads.

(Thankfully, though, I didn't experience any issues after riding away and the fuel level was fine by the time I got back home.)
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1156
Location: Herriman, Utah
 
Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1156
Location: Herriman, Utah
UTC quote
Your over think it. I would have put the cap on and ridden off. I find that some pumps are more sensitive than others. I also use 2 hands. It seems to give me more control. Some stations have those anti spill devices. I pull the the device back with one hand and squeeze with the other.
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 455
Location: Doncaster UK
 
Hooked
GTS 300 Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 455
Location: Doncaster UK
UTC quote
I literally fill mine almost to the brim every time. I probably leave under 1cm of air! Never had any issues.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB
Joined: UTC
Posts: 617
Location: QLD AUS
 
Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
Joined: UTC
Posts: 617
Location: QLD AUS
UTC quote
rolled.oats wrote:
However, not seeing any other solutions, that's basically what I ended up doing — I wadded up a few paper towels and soaked up enough gas to create about an inch of room between the gas and the fuel tank opening. Not wanting to just chuck the gas-soaked paper towels in the trash, I soaked them in water first and then threw them away.
Why do you need an inch of room???

Fill up, pay, start the engine and go. In about a minute you have already used that inch of fuel in the neck of the tank...

I understand your concern, but it is not that bad...

PS.

You are not alone regarding not to be able to fill the tank up without spilling some fuel..

That was Piaggio cockup in the neck design (too small, air get trapped)..

I would say a good 100% of people here have experienced it at one stage or another..
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 59,000km
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5541
Location: Batmania aka Melbourne, Australia
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 59,000km
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5541
Location: Batmania aka Melbourne, Australia
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
I would say a good 100% of people here have experienced it at one stage or another..
Day 1 of a 7 day road trip i fill up at a country servo and it splashes back majorly into the pet carrier drowning most of my clothes.

I always remove the pet carrier now. Many others here wedge the fuel cap under it instead
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GTS300 Racing Sixties Moto Guzzi V85TT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 55
Location: White Plains, NY
 
Enthusiast
Vespa GTS300 Racing Sixties Moto Guzzi V85TT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 55
Location: White Plains, NY
UTC quote
Lebo wrote:
I find that some pumps are more sensitive than others. I also use 2 hands. It seems to give me more control.
Now I understand why it happens sometimes. Will try the 2 hand technique.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB
Joined: UTC
Posts: 617
Location: QLD AUS
 
Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
Joined: UTC
Posts: 617
Location: QLD AUS
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
Day 1 of a 7 day road trip i fill up at a country servo and it splashes back majorly into the pet carrier drowning most of my clothes.

I always remove the pet carrier now. Many others here wedge the fuel cap under it instead
Yes. I started putting the cap under the pet carrier after watching it on a video of Robot...

But still, every single time I fill the tank up, it is a bloody struggle to fill it completely and not getting fuel on the paint work...

After this many years of riding/driving various vehicles, I honestly believe this has to be by far the worse tank inlet ever designed that I came across... It's simply pure shite!
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 59,000km
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5541
Location: Batmania aka Melbourne, Australia
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 59,000km
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5541
Location: Batmania aka Melbourne, Australia
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
But still, every single time I fill the tank up, it is a bloody struggle to fill it completely and not getting fuel on the paint work...
The other thing I do is use 2 fingers and squeeze only just enough so that it pumps at no more than 0.1L per second (or a bit slower). That seems to be a safe rate 98% of the time (but not 100%).

I've only ever had Vespas, never a car so nothing to compare too
OP
@rolledoats avatar
UTC

Member
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 31
Location: Brooklyn, NY
 
Member
@rolledoats avatar
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 31
Location: Brooklyn, NY
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
Why do you need an inch of room???

Fill up, pay, start the engine and go. In about a minute you have already used that inch of fuel in the neck of the tank...

I understand your concern, but it is not that bad...

PS.

You are not alone regarding not to be able to fill the tank up without spilling some fuel..

That was Piaggio cockup in the neck design (too small, air get trapped)..

I would say a good 100% of people here have experienced it at one stage or another..
I could've sworn I had once read something in the manual about never letting the gas level come all the way up into the neck of the fuel tank, hence the bit of panic.

Of course, looking at the "refueling" section of the manual now, I don't see that written anywhere sooo, in hindsight….probably should've just put the cap back on and not given it a second thought. Razz emoticon Next time!

Thanks for the advice everyone!
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 72
Location: Queens, NY
 
Enthusiast
2021 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 72
Location: Queens, NY
UTC quote
Another thing I do, if you fill up mostly locally, is find a pump that has a "forgiving" handle, and fill up with that pump exclusively. The funny thing is, I found a pump that has a very smooth, easy to modulate handle, and that pump just happens to continuously drip gas after you release the handle. I will stand there for 2-3 minutes after I release the handle just to top off a bit. Score! Then I start feeling silly.
OP
@rolledoats avatar
UTC

Member
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 31
Location: Brooklyn, NY
 
Member
@rolledoats avatar
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 31
Location: Brooklyn, NY
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
Yes. I started putting the cap under the pet carrier after watching it on a video of Robot...

But still, every single time I fill the tank up, it is a bloody struggle to fill it completely and not getting fuel on the paint work...

After this many years of riding/driving various vehicles, I honestly believe this has to be by far the worse tank inlet ever designed that I came across... It's simply pure shite!
The fact that there is no reference point, no way to know you've filled up the tank other than to trust the pump, wait for gas to start spilling out, or rely on memory / math calculations is the most egregious part for me. As is the fact that Piaggio's instructions in the manual are essentially just "add gas when necessary."
OP
@rolledoats avatar
UTC

Member
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 31
Location: Brooklyn, NY
 
Member
@rolledoats avatar
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 31
Location: Brooklyn, NY
UTC quote
buster71 wrote:
Another thing I do, if you fill up mostly locally, is find a pump that has a "forgiving" handle, and fill up with that pump exclusively. The funny thing is, I found a pump that has a very smooth, easy to modulate handle, and that pump just happens to continuously drip gas after you release the handle. I will stand there for 2-3 minutes after I release the handle just to top off a bit. Score! Then I start feeling silly.
I do this too, although my regular gas station was inaccessible yesterday due to road closures so I had to go some place else. All bets were off at that point for a smooth fill up.
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa Elettrica, GTS 300 HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 99
Location: Austin, TX USA
 
Enthusiast
Vespa Elettrica, GTS 300 HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 99
Location: Austin, TX USA
UTC quote
What's wrong with filling to the brim? It shows clearly how much gas you have.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43697
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43697
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
shc wrote:
What's wrong with filling to the brim? It shows clearly how much gas you have.
If you fill to the brim then fuel *will* trickle down into the Evap Crap, adversely affect the ability of that system to vent the tank, and ultimately cause stalling from fuel starvation.

Older non-US bikes only have a vent pipe pointing down to the ground - they'll just dribble out the excess.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
rolled.oats wrote:
I could've sworn I had once read something in the manual about never letting the gas level come all the way up into the neck of the fuel tank, hence the bit of panic.

Of course, looking at the "refueling" section of the manual now, I don't see that written anywhere sooo, in hindsight….probably should've just put the cap back on and not given it a second thought. Razz emoticon Next time!

Thanks for the advice everyone!
They wouldn't bring a vehicle to market that doesn't run or breaks if you fill it completely with gas.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43697
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43697
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
They wouldn't bring a vehicle to market that doesn't run or breaks if you fill it completely with gas.
Do it more than a few times and you'll swamp the Evap Crap. There's a reason it got that moniker - it's a dreadful design, and does lead to some people getting stranded.

So yes, they did, and still do, bring these scooters to market.

If you have the nozzle fully inserted, then even if you do overflow removing the nozzle then leaves the level below the vent. So I don't agree with the advice to hold the nozzle out and trickle the fuel in. Push it all the way in, let the pump turn off (yes there might be a bit of splash-back, big deal) and remove.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12059
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12059
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
If you fill to the brim then fuel *will* trickle down into the Evap Crap, adversely affect the ability of that system to vent the tank, and ultimately cause stalling from fuel starvation.

That would be my only concern, though I'd guess the damage is already done. It doesn't mean you will have problems. I've done a few. Best was being distracted at a new to me gas station and flooding gas all over the back of the scooter and steaming off the exhaust and wondering if it was going to blow up on me. Ran fine.

I have the worst problems filling with a gas can and trying to top things up for the winter...just did that to my BV. Took it out for a ride to burn off the excess.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3386
Location: Springboro, OH
 
Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3386
Location: Springboro, OH
UTC quote
I started stuffing paper towels around the filler neck to catch any spillage.

Your filling technique will also play a factor... by inserting the filler into the filler neck of the tank as far as it will go, holding the pump handle parallel to the center line of the bike with the handle towards the front of the bike and pumping slowly will minimize spillage. Never use the auto-stop/handle lock device on pump handles.

Some pumps are very difficult to modulate flow easily, so just be careful with those.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2874
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
 
Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2874
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
UTC quote
I use the suggested filling position, prop the pet carrier with the cap, insert the nozzle just enough to fill without splashing so I can see, listen for pitch change, and exercise extreme squeeze control. This works 95% of the time. The only time it doesn't is when using an overly aggressive pump, and I don't hear the pitch change in time to stop. I also fill 'er to the brim without issue.
OP
@rolledoats avatar
UTC

Member
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 31
Location: Brooklyn, NY
 
Member
@rolledoats avatar
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 31
Location: Brooklyn, NY
UTC quote
I've grown to enjoy my Vespa a lot more than my motorcycle, but one thing I sorely miss from my Rebel 500 is the "fill plate" located a couple inches down from the neck of the fuel tank opening. It was so much easier filling up that tank because you could just take out the nozzle and clearly see how close the gas level was to the fill plate with little risk of spilling gas all over the place.

Would love to know why Piaggio designed these fuel tanks the way they did as I'm sure there's a reason for it.
@ks7877 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2337
Location: So Cal
 
Ossessionato
@ks7877 avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2337
Location: So Cal
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
… listen for pitch change ...
^
this valuable bit is less often repeated than the rest of the good advice to prop up the pet carrier with the gas cap and pump slowly
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1231
Location: Belgium
 
Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1231
Location: Belgium
UTC quote
rolled.oats wrote:
So I was filling up my 2021 GTS 300 today using the technique described in the FAQs but, despite my best efforts, I still managed to spill a little gas. "Ah well," I thought, "next time I'll get it." When I went to put the cap back on, though, I noticed the gas was all the way up to the brim of the fuel tank, a feat I haven't managed to accomplish until now.

I was afraid to just put the cap back on and hope for the best so I asked the clerk inside if he had anything I could use to get some of the excess gas out. He said all they had were paper towels, which I thought was an insane idea as I wasn't going to sop up a bunch of gas with paper towels and then throw them in the trash.

However, not seeing any other solutions, that's basically what I ended up doing — I wadded up a few paper towels and soaked up enough gas to create about an inch of room between the gas and the fuel tank opening. Not wanting to just chuck the gas-soaked paper towels in the trash, I soaked them in water first and then threw them away.

Obviously, none of this was ideal and next time I'll be sure to further underestimate how much fuel I need, but is there anything different I could've done to fix my overfilled tank situation? I couldn't think of anything else at the time, even after looking through some MV threads.

(Thankfully, though, I didn't experience any issues after riding away and the fuel level was fine by the time I got back home.)
Filling up the tank of a scooter seems a bit more difficult than in a car.
I have a Beverly 300, Europe. It has the nice European fuel cap.
Point is: how deep to stick in the nozzle.
Initially I did stick in the nozzle down to the end and learned by doing so I filled the tank about half. Not good.

A leadfree gazoline nozzle in the EU looks like this: https://www.amazon.nl/Elaflex-ZVA-tankpistool-tapventiel-benzinemotor/dp/B07Z6MHYXX
I do not know if it is the same in the US.

Anyway. I learned by trial and error that I have to stick in the nozzle until the main collar (a bit left to the 92) is at the upper edge of the fuel cap. Then the tank fills up nicely to the edge without any spilling of fuel.

What I mean to say is you do try out until you find the ideal spot for the nozzle.

Next to that: absorbing gasoline fuel in paper towel is not a good idea. The fuel saturated towel is so flammable.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8562
Location: New Hampshire
 
Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8562
Location: New Hampshire
UTC quote
Pet carrier on the ground, handle over the hole, nozzle all the way in. I had a spill or two on my LX and the taillight disintegrated before my eyes. The entire light assembly had to be replaced because the red lens isn't a separate part.
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2061
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
 
Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2061
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
UTC quote
By law in South Africa, fuel must be delivered by trained petrol attendants.
They insert the nozzle fully into the neck, engage the lever lock and let the pump deliver at maximum rate until the breather cuts delivery. This is called "autostop" and is the fastest way to fuel up, usually while the attendant cleans your windscreen in anticipation of a tip.

It WILL result in spillage on a Vespa.

The petrol attendant can slow down delivery before autostop, withdraw the nozzle and drizzle the rest until the neck is to the brim. This is popularly called "full-full" and takes much longer.

I monitor the fuel delivery and when it reaches about 1litre less than I think it should take, I get them to slow the delivery. This reduces overfilling, as does filling the tank while parked on the sidestand.
⚠️ Last edited by Fudmucker on UTC; edited 1 time
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB
Joined: UTC
Posts: 617
Location: QLD AUS
 
Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
Joined: UTC
Posts: 617
Location: QLD AUS
UTC quote
rolled.oats wrote:
I've grown to enjoy my Vespa a lot more than my motorcycle, but one thing I sorely miss from my Rebel 500 is the "fill plate" located a couple inches down from the neck of the fuel tank opening. It was so much easier filling up that tank because you could just take out the nozzle and clearly see how close the gas level was to the fill plate with little risk of spilling gas all over the place.

Would love to know why Piaggio designed these fuel tanks the way they did as I'm sure there's a reason for it.
Off course there is a reason... Style over functionality...

You see...

And you thought you were alone in this battle...

This thread makes me wonder, how many complaints Piaggio has received since the introduction of this fuel neck design...

Perhaps the day someone does catch fire, they will do something about it... That's how it normally works...
UTC

Hooked
2020 Piaggio Liberty S 150, 2016 Vespa GTV300ie, 2009 Yamaha C3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 161
Location: USA
 
Hooked
2020 Piaggio Liberty S 150, 2016 Vespa GTV300ie, 2009 Yamaha C3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 161
Location: USA
UTC quote
My Vespa GTV is easy enough to fill, once the pump automatically kicks off it's pretty much good to go. My Liberty, on the other hand, is an absolute nightmare-- stopping when the pump kicks off means I've only given myself about a half a tank of fuel. It's a long process of squeeze-eyeball, squeeze-eyeball, to get it full. And since the tank is small to begin with, if I just went with whenever the pump kicked off, my range would only be like 75 miles.

(It's a shame, too, because the Liberty rocks it in every other category!!)
UTC

Addicted
Joined: UTC
Posts: 543
 
Addicted
Joined: UTC
Posts: 543
UTC quote
Most of my fuelling is at home from a gas can. Gas pumps are still annoying, but less often.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43697
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43697
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
By law in South Africa, fuel must be delivered by trained petrol attendants.
And in Oregon, USA. However, most places allow m/c riders to fill their own tanks. They still have to start the pump off though.
@mitleider avatar
UTC

Hooked
2024 GTV & 2024 GTS Supertech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 315
Location: Chicago
 
Hooked
@mitleider avatar
2024 GTV & 2024 GTS Supertech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 315
Location: Chicago
UTC quote
I've found that when overfilling excess fuel migrates into the US mandated vapor recovery system making start up difficult.

This is just bad engineering made worse by a lack of resolve to fix….
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2874
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
 
Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2874
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
UTC quote
Topolino wrote:
Most of my fuelling is at home from a gas can. Gas pumps are still annoying, but less often.
We do this also and use pumps only when longer rides necessitate it.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2318
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2318
Location: Toronto, Canada
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
By law in South Africa, fuel must be delivered by trained petrol attendants.
Can't fill your own gas tank? Gotta wait for someone else to put the handful of liters in that it takes to fill a Vespa tank? Just to watch them spill gas on your baby?

Sorry man... That sucks! :\
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2061
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
 
Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2061
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Can't fill your own gas tank? Gotta wait for someone else to put the handful of liters in that it takes to fill a Vespa tank? Just to watch them spill gas on your baby?

Sorry man... That sucks! :\
PITA for sure.
It is called job creation.
We have very high unemployment, particularly unskilled workers.

Most times the attendant will listen to my advice.
If he/she doesn't, she ends up having to clean off the mess, wiping it with roller towel.
We don't have the US vapor recovery system as all our Vespas are Euro-spec.

Actually, at your local fuel station where you normally fill up, the friendly attendants get to know you by name, greet you and engage in conversation every time you stop by.

We have monthly regulated fuel prices so moving about to try save a few cents doesn't happen. We also have linked drugstore loyalty cards to score points for purchases.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting
Joined: UTC
Posts: 37266
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
Joined: UTC
Posts: 37266
Location: Bay Area, California
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
They wouldn't bring a vehicle to market that doesn't run or breaks if you fill it completely with gas.
Come on, man. This is exactly what the evap-equipped bikes do when overfilled. We've been talking about it here on MV for 16 years. This is not a point that is open to debate at this point. It's established fact.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2318
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2318
Location: Toronto, Canada
UTC quote
Hmm, very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
Fudmucker wrote:
We don't have the US vapor recovery system as all our Vespas are Euro-spec.
Is that the charcoal cannister and all that stuff?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting
Joined: UTC
Posts: 37266
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
Joined: UTC
Posts: 37266
Location: Bay Area, California
UTC quote
rolled.oats wrote:
Obviously, none of this was ideal and next time I'll be sure to further underestimate how much fuel I need, but is there anything different I could've done to fix my overfilled tank situation? I couldn't think of anything else at the time, even after looking through some MV threads.
I generally find that when I overfill it, I can bump the bike gently a few times to release some of the air pockets that are still hiding deep in the complex shape of the gas tank. This will immediately lower the fuel level in the neck.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting
Joined: UTC
Posts: 37266
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
Joined: UTC
Posts: 37266
Location: Bay Area, California
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Is that the charcoal cannister and all that stuff?
Yes.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2874
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
 
Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2874
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I generally find that when I overfill it, I can bump the bike gently a few times to release some of the air pockets that are still hiding deep in the complex shape of the gas tank. This will immediately lower the fuel level in the neck.
I do this every time I fill.
@jimjar avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 292
Location: Austin Texas USA
 
Hooked
@jimjar avatar
2012 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 292
Location: Austin Texas USA
UTC quote
Hmmm...I never tried that. Will try it next time.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
I like to run the tanks on the scooters down near the bottom of the tank before refilling.

So my fill ups typically take from 2 to 2.4 gallons.

I run the pump at full until it hits around 1.8 gallons, then lessen the flow.

It usually self stops with a small splash, but isn't filled to the top.

I will give it one or two more quick hits until it is full enough.

But that first pop often leaves a little fuel running down the right side cowl.

I do lift the pet carrier and prop it up with the gas cap.

The Evap Crap didn't give me trouble on Rocket until after the new engine was installed at 76,000 miles.

I found some photos here on MV about changes in the lines to let overfills flow out the bottom and closed up the line to the carburetor.

After that, I did the same with the other two and haven't had any fueling issues since.

Bill
@mitleider avatar
UTC

Hooked
2024 GTV & 2024 GTS Supertech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 315
Location: Chicago
 
Hooked
@mitleider avatar
2024 GTV & 2024 GTS Supertech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 315
Location: Chicago
UTC quote
Good morning. Does anyone have simple effective instructions/videos on disconnecting the Evap Emissions system on modern ABS 300 GTS models?

I found a couple of videos on line which I just couldn't follow….

Sure would appreciate the help!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0789s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0569s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]