@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped
UTC quote
Luckily, the Vespa dealer in Richmond, VA (Moto Richmond) will work on any year modern Vespa. My 2005 GT 200 is in their shop now getting some work done. I can't say enough good things about them.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
So our house is full of equipment we've picked up for free or virtually nothing, which needed just a bit of TLC, often at no cost.
And you could have had a free MP3 500 to pillage for parts. But nyah nyah, Sticky got it instead.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
And you could have had a free MP3 500 to pillage for parts. But nyah nyah, Sticky got it instead.
There really wasn't room in our 'garage' - we reduced it to 11ft deep in order to create a pantry/laundry room with the other bit.

Sticky's got a good'un.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
Fully agree with this steelbytes. Over here in the UK we don't have any big issues with getting a bike or car serviced, almost whatever it's age. As long as parts are available. All dealers for bikes or cars use "just in time" ordering for anything other than basic routine servicing so inventory is low.
(...)
The same here in BE. Age is no issue. Availability of parts could be, but not age.
UTC

Banned
Granturismo GT200

Banned
Granturismo GT200
UTC quote
I don't know if this is related but I am acquainted with a dealership who gave up their license to sell Vespas. Speaking with an employee they indicated Vespa often doesn't pay them properly for warranty repairs therefore had to suck up the cost themselves, sometimes in the thousands of $. After many years of this they finally severed ties with Vespa and won't even repair Vespas out of warranty.
Another former employee I spoke with confirmed this.
So if accurate it is hard to blame them.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Rossputin wrote:
I don't know if this is related but I am acquainted with a dealership who gave up their license to sell Vespas. Speaking with an employee they indicated Vespa often doesn't pay them properly for warranty repairs therefore had to suck up the cost themselves, sometimes in the thousands of $. After many years of this they finally severed ties with Vespa and won't even repair Vespas out of warranty.
Another former employee I spoke with confirmed this.
So if accurate it is hard to blame them.
At risk of starting an argument. 10 year old scoots usually don't have warranty's. Still made a good point about sticking it to us on this side of the pond.
UTC

Banned
Granturismo GT200

Banned
Granturismo GT200
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
At risk of starting an argument. 10 year old scoots usually don't have warranty's. Still made a good point about sticking it to us on this side of the pond.
lol. Not usually I'm sure. But so annoyed with Vespa they simply won't even service them.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
UTC quote
It's the Chromebook end of useful life notification all over again. I can't wait until my kids issue one of these for me.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@mr-blazer avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150; SS180

Hooked
@mr-blazer avatar
Primavera 150; SS180
UTC quote
Garthhh wrote:
The cut-off at the local dealer is 20 years

Mine is the same. This kind of makes sense though because isn't this when they re-entered the US market?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
rdhood wrote:
To me, the OP'S dealer is saying "Vespas are junk after 10 years.", and that doesn't inspire confidence. I hope they go out of business.
The OP's dealership is saying they won't work on bikes after a certain age. Your imagination got you here from there. Feel free to buy a franchise and open a dealership. Then you could be the one treating some owners of 11 year old bikes differently than others and spending a few hours each day explaining why. "What do you mean you won't work on my 2009 Lx I dragged through four counties behind my car? My friend rode in on his 2005 Et4 and you fixed it. What you got against people like me?" News at eleven, horrible local Dealer refuses to serve .... And it just goes downhill after that. If all the techs are busy, would you add to the shitshow that is a motorcycle service department?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Ah. Buying franchises. I can see that making problems. A dodgy way to start a business.

In the UK, dealers tend to own their own businesses, and have individually agreed contracts with manufacturers. My local UK dealer has never sung to Piaggio's tune - but they still sell their bikes and service them.

Different business models may be at the heart of this 10-year stuff.
@chrisfromcle avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Primavera 150, 2019 Honda Super Cub 125, 2017 Honda Metropolitan, 1965 Honda Super Cub 50 CA102

Hooked
@chrisfromcle avatar
2019 Primavera 150, 2019 Honda Super Cub 125, 2017 Honda Metropolitan, 1965 Honda Super Cub 50 CA102
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
…Nobody understands why I'd want to sink a grand into repairing my car that's worth ... a grand. After repair….
Seamus26,

Your post really rings true with me. I own eight cars - not for any good reason other than, truth be told, I am a vehicle hoarder. All of them are in various states of decline from that can be described from "pretty good" to "I am afraid to fill it with gas because it costs more than the car is worth."

My mechanic, an old high school friend, is invaluable to me in keeping the fleet of turds on the road. He understands that the only work he gets is that which I don't want or can't do. He does just the amount needed to get the car back on the road. He doesn't hand me a estimate for tens of thousands of dollars for all of the things wrong with the car after each service (I already know…). He does mention any major and perhaps hidden dangers like, "…the subframe is down to the same thickness as phio dough, you may want to look at that…"

As you can imagine from the above description, he style of service was not successful working at dealerships and now works in his own shop. Getting good service really depends on the individuals, not on the building they work in.

Thanks to those who have the tools and the knowledge we lack!!

Chris from CLE
Does anyone at your dealership know what this is?
Does anyone at your dealership know what this is?
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
*giggles*

you nerd ass nerds. I love you both.
(and jim too)
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
The OP's dealership is saying they won't work on bikes after a certain age. Your imagination got you here from there. Feel free to buy a franchise and open a dealership. Then you could be the one treating some owners of 11 year old bikes differently than others and spending a few hours each day explaining why. "What do you mean you won't work on my 2009 Lx I dragged through four counties behind my car? My friend rode in on his 2005 Et4 and you fixed it. What you got against people like me?" News at eleven, horrible local Dealer refuses to serve .... And it just goes downhill after that. If all the techs are busy, would you add to the shitshow that is a motorcycle service department?
oh hi, your bike is 15 years old and needs all this- $1100 worth of stuff. for a bike that's worth, maybe 1500 open market. wanna party? no? okay, that's cool. oil changes and tires pay my bills.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Corn wrote:
I'm curious as to who actually takes their car to the dealer for service after the warranty has expired?
nobody, or lazy shit heads.

that's it.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
I cannot understand why any dealer would adopt this attitude. It doesn't really matter how old a bike is, if it needs a service or work then it's the job of a tech to do it. The only reason for not doing it is the lack of spare parts. At the end of the day a tech can tackle just about any job, not much is ever too difficult or impossible. And the best bit is...there's PROFIT in it!
because the customer is totally unreasonable and doesn't understand that it takes a hot minute to order parts?

yeah, I keep a cashe of bits and bobs, but if you need something odd, it's gonna take a second to get that over here. this isn't amazon mofo. hang tight. you wanna be an asshole? cool, your shit is out front on the street. bye.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
The mechanic that works on our cars runs a small Mom and Pop shop. He's in he business because he loves cars and working on them. And he will take older cars, like ours, when most other places won't. He just lost a mechanic that went to work at a dealership. The kid will be changing oil and rotating tires on relatively new cars ... for more money.

The mechanical knowledge base for older vehicles is shrinking. My Dad just recently had to hunt long and hard for someone to rebuild the carburetor on his Corvette. Nobody studies carburetors anymore.

The excuses I have heard for not working on older stuff are parts are hard to get (sometimes, maybe) liability (old stuff breaks when you work on it) and value. Nobody understands why I'd want to sink a grand into repairing my car that's worth ... a grand. After repair. I get that. I needed some work done on my P200e and the local dealer wouldn't touch it. Liability.

I dunno. I have more dealerships I don't like than dealerships I do. I always avoid them when I can.
I work on "vintage" stuffs so I understand the whole "liability" scenario. but I'm also one of the only guys in the area that knows how tri-power works and can rebuild a Holley correctly. generally, these clients are more than accommodating. they have an understanding of: this is a billion years old and nobody in their right mind will work on this.

so, then I say sure. I make it goods for you. please to bring a whole bag of cash.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
DiBiasio wrote:
I made a concerted effort to not bark, and then I paid them the number on the invoice. The folks at the dealership hid their disdain for me like consummate professionals.

Holler if you need anything,

-Asswipe
no no, you're good my dude. totally not you!

I was out of town on work and unable to help you out. you're solid and stand up.

if you need anything in the future, I'm happy to help out. just give me a holler.

but 100% some parking lot bloody Marys!
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Ah. Buying franchises. I can see that making problems. A dodgy way to start a business.

Many franchise agreements require a dealer principal to accept personal responsibility for debts to the manufacturer. In this business at least, corporations are not people.
@dibiasio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX150

Addicted
@dibiasio avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
no no, you're good my dude. totally not you!

I was out of town on work and unable to help you out. you're solid and stand up.

if you need anything in the future, I'm happy to help out. just give me a holler.

but 100% some parking lot bloody Marys!
I'd delete that post if I knew how to do so. Sorry I got my nuts in a bunch.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
DiBiasio wrote:
I'd delete that post if I knew how to do so. Sorry I got my nuts in a bunch.
If you want to delete a previous post other than one you just made, go back to it and select "edit". Then replace the previous text with the term "deleted" or "deleted by DiBiasio" or something else like that.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
Then replace the previous text with the term "deleted" or "deleted by DiBiasio" or something else like that.
Like "I got my nuts in a bunch and had second thoughts." Razz emoticon Laughing emoticon

Thank the MV gods for edit...when the Just Walk Away option isn't fast enough.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
I cannot understand why any dealer would adopt this attitude. It doesn't really matter how old a bike is, if it needs a service or work then it's the job of a tech to do it. The only reason for not doing it is the lack of spare parts. At the end of the day a tech can tackle just about any job, not much is ever too difficult or impossible. And the best bit is...there's PROFIT in it!
At most dealerships, if whoever you talk to finds you pleasant and agreeable, and if a tech wants to work on it, then you can get your old whooptie fixed, even if it's older than the cut-off date.
The way dealership service works here is that the customer checks the bike in with a service writer. Then the work orders are assigned to the technicians. Often there is a diagnosis involved. So the vehicle is pushed onto the lift, the tech diagnoses the problem, parts are pulled from the parts department, and the bike is fixed, then taken off the lift. Then the tech gets another work order. Mo work orders, mo _____? If you know the answer, you see where this is going.
So what do you suppose happens if the parts aren't available for a week, or, if it's a Moto Guzzi, a random non-binary number between two months and all the sand on all the beaches? The tech doesn't keep the bike on the lift and wait until the parts come in, then finish the job.
So the bike is taken off the lift, which takes time, and pushed back to lean against all the other old crap the service writer took in when the manager was off. While the bike is there, the service writer and service manager are fielding daily calls from the owner, who wants the bike that hasn't run in six years fixed by Friday. And people on the internet are telling him to call them all the time, because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and if he calls them often enough, little elves will show up and make the part that is exclusive to your 2002 scooter.
About half the schmucks who expect a fast turnaround on a nineteen year old bike threaten to take it somewhere else. They are usually encouraged to do so, but the tech has to put the POS back on the lift and put it back together, taking time away from a paying job. Then said schmuck tries to get out of paying for the diagnosis.
So, no matter what people who have absolutely no idea how a modern American vehicle dealership works think, there isn't PROFIT in fixing old shit, and the best service writers are the ones that can keep the junk from being taken out the back of the pickup in the first place.
Next time you get all tingly and outraged reading a dealership's reviews, look at how many bad ones are about fixing old bikes.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
So during the warranty period this guy goes into a Honda dealership and say"s, "My scooter is leaking oil out of the transmission breather, I think it's the crank seal leaking".
Two weeks later he gets a call saying,"We can't find the leak, come and get your bike". When he get's to the dealer, the guy handing off the bike say's, "we cleaned the bike off and let it idle for a half hour and couldn't find a leak".
So this guy goes to the next closest dealer and after removing all the covers necessary to point out the crank seal leak, he leaves the bike for warranty service. The guy goes to pick up the bike from the dealer. While trying to load the bike in the van the variator fails due to failure to properly torque the crank nut.
If you can find a friendly competent dealer, cherish them. If not, learn to DIY. It would have cost me less than $10 to fix my bike and it wouldn't have taken 6 weeks to do it.
@lars_danner avatar
UTC

Hooked
2014 GTV300; 2009 S50

Hooked
@lars_danner avatar
2014 GTV300; 2009 S50
UTC quote
Most Harley dealerships won't work on old Harleys either. That said, I've never had a problem finding a competent independent shop to work on an older Vespa or Harley and they are usually cheaper and do better work. All of my maintenance horror stories involve dealerships, so honestly I'd rather go with an independent for a vehicle that is out of warranty.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by Lars_Danner on UTC; edited 1 time
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
So what do you suppose happens if the parts aren't available for a week, or, if it's a Moto Guzzi, a random non-binary number between two months and all the sand on all the beaches?
ROFL emoticon X10!
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
So, no matter what people who have absolutely no idea how a modern American vehicle dealership works think, there isn't PROFIT in fixing old shit, and the best service writers are the ones that can keep the junk from being taken out the back of the pickup in the first place.
There must be more than a little truth in what you say. We have certainly seen a lot of Vespa dealerships go out of business in the past few years. It probably wasn't because they got tired of making so much money on service. And, around here, we don't have an independent scooter repair shop with any knowledge of modern Vespas, so that doesn't appear to be a wildly profitable line of work either.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
I thought about using my van as a mobile scooter repair shop. For about 1 second Headache emoticon
@lars_danner avatar
UTC

Hooked
2014 GTV300; 2009 S50

Hooked
@lars_danner avatar
2014 GTV300; 2009 S50
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
There must be more than a little truth in what you say. We have certainly seen a lot of Vespa dealerships go out of business in the past few years. It probably wasn't because they got tired of making so much money on service. And, around here, we don't have an independent scooter repair shop with any knowledge of modern Vespas, so that doesn't appear to be a wildly profitable line of work either.
Vespas a not super complex, any compotent motorcycle mechanic should be able to maintain them.
@dan_v avatar
UTC

gts 300

@dan_v avatar
gts 300
UTC quote
Out of my fleet of six scoots, the NEWEST one - a GTS, is now 12 years old. Luckily, I have the ability and time to source parts and perform most service.

The "big" powersports dealer in town, an authorized Vespa dealer has not had any of the maintenance parts in stock for routine service. Not even tires. They sell a shit-ton of Groms that take the same size tires, so you would figure that they may have some in stock.

Went to their service department for a tire change. Wanted $90- to change out tire on the GTS. I said no, the wheel is off the bike. That was the "off the bike" price. Didn't have the tool to balance the Vespa wheel either.

Took the tire and wheel elsewhere. Bought the Parnes balancer and did that myself.

Hell of a business model. Stock no parts, don't have some of the special tools necessary for service, and charge outrageous fees. Add in the the sales staff that ignores people coming onto the sales floor, and when a sale is attempted tack on a bunch of dealership fees. No wonder people dislike so many dealerships. I would think that these practices are the cause of bad attitudes of the customers.

A big thank you to the online parts sellers. It is lot of work to keep the websites up, maintain stock, and get the parts out the door. They work for your business, and I will continue to support them.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
JmJ wrote:
I once brought my 15 year old skis to a local ski shop for a before season tune-up, and the guy that was probably a year or two older than my prized skis (actually the best on the market at the time of buying) looked at me like I just fell down from Mars.
I still ride a snowboard I bought in 1994. All the guys my age get a nostalgia kick when they see it. The kids think it's some new radical design Laughing emoticon It's the way the world is going for certain things. Stihl dealers won't touch my old chainsaw. Vintage Vespas on the other hand are fairly easy to get parts for from places like Vietnam and India and thank God for SIP that produce their own range of new products.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
At most dealerships, if whoever you talk to finds you pleasant and agreeable, and if a tech wants to work on it, then you can get your old whooptie fixed, even if it's older than the cut-off date.
The way dealership service works here is that the customer checks the bike in with a service writer. Then the work orders are assigned to the technicians. Often there is a diagnosis involved. So the vehicle is pushed onto the lift, the tech diagnoses the problem, parts are pulled from the parts department, and the bike is fixed, then taken off the lift. Then the tech gets another work order. Mo work orders, mo _____? If you know the answer, you see where this is going.
So what do you suppose happens if the parts aren't available for a week, or, if it's a Moto Guzzi, a random non-binary number between two months and all the sand on all the beaches? The tech doesn't keep the bike on the lift and wait until the parts come in, then finish the job.
So the bike is taken off the lift, which takes time, and pushed back to lean against all the other old crap the service writer took in when the manager was off. While the bike is there, the service writer and service manager are fielding daily calls from the owner, who wants the bike that hasn't run in six years fixed by Friday. And people on the internet are telling him to call them all the time, because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and if he calls them often enough, little elves will show up and make the part that is exclusive to your 2002 scooter.
About half the schmucks who expect a fast turnaround on a nineteen year old bike threaten to take it somewhere else. They are usually encouraged to do so, but the tech has to put the POS back on the lift and put it back together, taking time away from a paying job. Then said schmuck tries to get out of paying for the diagnosis.
Next time you get all tingly and outraged reading a dealership's reviews, look at how many bad ones are about fixing old bikes.
This happens everywhere, over here too. Over here good dealers have exactly the opposite approach to the one you outline. If managed correctly it works. I've worked in exactly this sort of environment for most of my life with both cars and bikes. Universally the problems are the same. The key is the quality of folks you employ in the service department. Good properly trained staffing provides good communication and good service. But explaining how everything works to customers who have older or problematic bikes is essential. Working on older bikes and cars generally can and often will cost more and can take longer. It's not a secret. Making sure folks know that is important. Some dealers can't always do this sort of thing for lots of reasons, that's accepted. Poorer dealers can't do it at anytime and over here generally don't last long.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Lars_Danner wrote:
Most Harley dealerships won't work on old Harleys either. That said, I've never had a problem finding a competent independent shop to work on an older Vespa or Harley and they are usually cheaper and do better work. All of my maintenance horror stories involve dealerships, so honestly I'd rather go with an independent for a vehicle that is out of warranty.
In my home town we have a guy that started his own business several years ago selling and servicing just second hand bikes and scooters. He ran it initially with just his wife in the shop retailing and selling the service side of things. Now 12 years or so onwards he employs other mechanics to work with him and he has other staff in the shop.

He is the go to guy when you want to buy a used big bike or a used scooter. He has a good reputation for solving issues other dealers won't look at. His workshop is state of the art and he makes good money. No job too small or too big. He manages the bikes and the customers so everyone knows what to expect from any work they undertake. He actually talks proper language to folks and quotes the price the job is worth. He's not cheap but he gets the job done. He makes his entire living on just used bikes of all ages. One of the areas he specialises in is Harleys. He sells and works on a lot of very old Harleys and he has a considerable reputation for getting them to run right. Almost no other local dealers will touch the older Harleys due to all the intrinsic issues they suffer from. So it can be done!
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
I don't recommend working in a Franchised Auto Dealership these days as it's pretty unpleasant as this example will show -

The Service Advisor gets shit from the After Sales Manager who in turn is getting shit from the Dealer Principal who in turn is getting shit from the Franchise's. The Service Advisor is also getting shit from the Technicians who pretty much resent every job that's given to them unless it's a regular service and then they vent their frustration at the Parts Department who in turn vent at the Service Advisor.

The Service Advisor then has to remain professional when the Customer gets upset because of the cost of not only the service but also of any possible repair but because he's the one behind the desk so it must be his doing.

Remember that the guy behind the desk didn't randomly decide how much he's going to charge you that day. The amount has either been sent by the Manufacturer or the Dealership so much as you want to make them accountable they aren't on any level consulted.
The Customer knows that they can speak to the Service Advisor how they they want because they are wearing a shirt that says your name and then the name of the Manufacturer. This means that they can't retaliate, even when the malady wasn't any of their doing. They are the face of the company ( sponge ) and therefore they will have to soak the abuse up. After all it's their job.

So when you don't get the greeting you feel that you deserve remember that the Service Advisor - by doing their job has already got the world on their shoulders as everyone already hates them, including you before you even got there.

Also..........
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Of the three very local (I'm currently in W. London, UK) dealers who sell and service Piaggio bikes, not one of them is a franchise - they are all privately owned, and have been in business seemingly forever. Starting a scooter dealership as a Piaggio franchise sounds like a very slow and painful way to commit suicide.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
I'd like to have a £ for each time I've heard "They ( the Franchised Dealership ) were going to charge me ( insert silly amount ) for such and such work but what seems to be forgotten is the sheer cost of owning and running a dealership.

The cost of training, insurance, power, maintenance, uniforms, transporters, ground rent and leases plus a myriad of sub contractor costs are huge and that excludes the demands of the Manufacturer which can change from month to month, so often it feels like it's conspiring against you to prevent you making any money, so if the prices are high it means that the overheads are massive.

This is why many of them are really struggling. German brands over here are barely breaking even and I know of at least 3 JLR dealers that lost 2 million quid each in 2020.

So if you're wincing at the prices at the Service Desk remember they don't want to charge you that, they have to charge you that to keep the business afloat and to keep those people in their jobs.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
People who want a franchise dealer stamped service book or those with an extended warranty.
I took my Kawasaki to a different dealer than the original owner. The mechanic said, in Thai, no worries the records will be on the computer.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Once the warranty is over I'd suggest that you find an Independent Shop run by an owner who has had Manufacturer Training and Certification.

Having said that the only downside is that the vehicle will lack a Full Service History with a Manufacturers stamp in it.

Just how much this is actually worth when the vehicle is eventually sold is hard to judge but it definitely counts if it's been stamped all the way through with the same Dealers logo.

There are some owners who simply won't use anyone but the original Franchise's Workshop and will accept the cost of anything that needs doing, no matter how big the invoice.

They see it as the cost of owning that particular brand or model.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
I know of an Alfa Romeo Franchise that had to shut it's doors because the parent company insisted that it had it's showroom re tiled to the corporate standard.

The margins were so slim at the time doing that would have wiped out the businesses profits for the year so rather than spend the money they walked away.

A local Range Rover Dealership failed it's yearly Audit because their floor tiles were ever so slightly the wrong colour.

When the Auditor asked the Dealer Principal who supplied the tiles, the reply was - Well , you did.
@dan_v avatar
UTC

gts 300

@dan_v avatar
gts 300
UTC quote
Yeah, running ANY business is expensive - and with the state of education I don't think that many understand all the costs that have to be covered. But as the post above states, the business model has many factors in a modern dealership at odds with each other. Any wonder the cost of new vehicles is high, when the most profitable department is finance and insurance?

Still, it shouldn't permit shady practices. A while back I had the Subaru in for a recall, and an oil change. While waiting in the nice customer lounge (with cookies and multiple coffees) a young lady would come to the customers with the air and cabin filters from their vehicles on a tray. "See how dirty they are? We recommend replacing them." Most customers, blissfully ignorant, would eyeball the bug on the air filter and agree to adding those parts to their "oil change"

When she came to me, I examined each, knocked the minimal dirt out on her tray and told her to re-install them.

Other customers looked on in astonishment, as in "you can do that?"

I bought the car at the same dealership thru their internet sales "department". Same owner has multiple dealerships but internet sales handles many brands.

When I went to pick up the car, I was led to the office where two F & I guys were completing the paperwork. After I declined all their add-ons and had the final figure I pulled out my checkbook. They were visibly upset that I was not going to finance.

I guess I was a bad customer. As you get older, you often have the means to pay cash. I hope the dealership models do not evolve to "don't do business with anyone older than 50"

Unfortunately, it seems as if the powersports dealers have the same practices. The group that owns the Subaru and other dealers also owns the Vespa dealer I mentioned in my earlier post. At least I have a choice of shops to take the Subaru to, not so with the scooters.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0200s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0117s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]