@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I have not been in the GPS world since my last Garmin Zumo fell off a number of years ago. I haven't needed one since then because I wasn't doing trips but I have one coming up in the spring so I'll need one.

I am not interested in using Waze on my iPhone while riding though it is great in the car. Dedicated GPS only.

What do you like (model/make)?

Why?
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
My favorite is an old Garmin Nuvi 3490.

Until it rains.

It is a small, glass faced unit.

Thin so it looks like a smart phone with very clear graphics.

Easy to program and use on the fly too.

I also recently received a Garmin Zumo XT

Almost as good as the 3490, as I am still getting used to it.

So far it sometimes quits while riding for no reason, and it is missing a few features that I like on the 3490, but it is growing on me.

The last few times it has been almost flawless and will soon overtake the 3490, especially being somewhat water resistant.

I also have an old Garmin Zumo 660 that is hardwired to the Xmax.

It is so far behind the other two in graphics and user friendliness that I have almost quit using it.

My two cents.

Bill
The 3490
The 3490
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 59,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
no help I know, but I like the gps displaying on my dashboard on my supertech. Plus added bonus is the recording of telemetry with the trip
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I'm still very happy with my Garmin Zumo 390LM. It's now mainly doing duty in the Westfalia, but still goes back on the GTS on the rare occasions I need extra nav. on the bike. (I know my way around for a good 80 mile radius now!)
@vespabrian avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS HPE

Hooked
@vespabrian avatar
2022 GTS HPE
UTC quote
I have the Garmin Zumo 396. I am very happy with it and like that it is super bright and I don't have to worry about the rain.
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
Garmin has the best product offerings with what I think is the best GUIs and computer based SW around. Find a model in your price range with the basic features you want. They differentiate between riding and trekking etc so you shouldn't have a problem.

There's obviously a wide variety of universal mounts but I'm a RAM fan for those: one mount serves everything from them.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
UTC quote
Hey sticky, just curious - you mentioned liking Waze for the car, but don't want it for the bike. How come?

I use it for both, love it for both for the same reasons. Are you going to be doing a lot of off-roading or something?
@moto_mark avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 75th Anniversary GTS 300, Vespa 70th Anniversary PX150, Vespa 946, Vespa Rally 200, Vespa PX150, Piaggio Liberty 125

Hooked
@moto_mark avatar
Vespa 75th Anniversary GTS 300, Vespa 70th Anniversary PX150, Vespa 946, Vespa Rally 200, Vespa PX150, Piaggio Liberty 125
UTC quote
I'm a TomTom guy, my latest is the Rider 550 that I've had for almost 2 years. I like that you can do your map updates via WiFi, the interface is easy to use and the MyDrive software is much more intuitive and easier to use than Garmin's BaseCamp. The screen is visible even in bright light and it's glove friendly.

BaseCamp pretty much drove me away from Garmin, it's kinda like Photoshop. Some people "get it" right off the bat while others may spend months trying to figure it out. I was in the latter group.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
I have not been in the GPS world since my last Garmin Zumo fell off a number of years ago. I haven't needed one since then because I wasn't doing trips but I have one coming up in the spring so I'll need one.

I am not interested in using Waze on my iPhone while riding though it is great in the car. Dedicated GPS only.

What do you like (model/make)?

Why?
Quite sometime ago, I used to be a TomTom purist. TomTom did have plenty of extra software available on internet... Then they released new motorcycle models that didn't play MP3 anymore, So I moved to Garmin Zumo that still play MP3...

I listen to music all the time while riding, and I like to being able to pick a song on the fly if I want to, so Garmin does fit the bill

Garmin seems to be better built, definitely much simpler to use and the Zumo version does offer water proof and touch screen gloves compatible...

I always got the impression that Tom Tom is leader in the European market, while Garmin has the rest of the world under control...

In saying all this, new mobile phone are really taking over the GPS scene as, they are water proof, they can play music and with Google map they certainly match and sometimes are better than the map offered with Garmin...

As a bonus, you can also make phone calls if you wish...

Then again, if you are after a rugged and good quality GPS for all sort of situations (heavy rain, Mud, dirt, sand, different type of maps, specific POI, special requirements for Trucks or RV), Garmin is still the best (IMO)

I never had a chance to try those cheap Chinese GPS but I got friends that had used them and we all know for a fact now, that they are not waterproof... ROFL emoticon
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
I replaced my Garmin Zumo 660 with a new Zumo XT, and it's a huge upgrade. Initial startup for the XT is only about 5 seconds, compared to 30 for the 660.

The screen is bight and sharp. The response time to inputs is very good. The software is Android based, but the upgrades have virtually eliminated the need for BaseCamp. All updates are done via wifi, no need to connect to a computer. Easy to share routes with other bluetooth Garmin Units (I shared a route with a clubmate who had a Garmin 395). And there are some nifty other features for planning rides and finding points of interest.

It's the new top of the heap, and can be a bit pricey. You can find older used units online, but the performance, features, and display on the Zumo XT is well worth it.
660 on top, XT on the bottom
660 on top, XT on the bottom
Mounted in the same location, I did have to swap the powered cradle
Mounted in the same location, I did have to swap the powered cradle
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
As long as you can still have the display be 2D and North Up, that'd be a nice upgrade if I win a small prize on the lottery.

(Am I the only one who likes 2D and North-up?)
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
UTC quote
This is my GPS....
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Hey sticky, just curious - you mentioned liking Waze for the car, but don't want it for the bike. How come?

I use it for both, love it for both for the same reasons. Are you going to be doing a lot of off-roading or something?
Because I want a dedicated GPS and not a phone in a case for riding. I find phone displays are not bright enough for riding and hard to interact with with gloves on.

The places I ride when traveling sometimes do not have cell service and Waze can get a little weird acting without it sometimes dropping the visual and even need to be reset. Its happened to me in North Georgia.

Also, when I am riding I do not take calls or texts. My phone gets put away. If I use it for a GPS and I see a text or see a family member calling I will be tempted to pull over worrying there is some kind of emergency and I will really be annoyed if they just called to chat. Out of site. Out of mind.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Touring300 wrote:
This is my GPS....
Ok Boomer. Laughing emoticon
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
As long as you can still have the display be 2D and North Up, that'd be a nice upgrade if I win a small prize on the lottery.

I always use 2d and route up.

Then just follow the purple lineā€¦ all the way across the state or even country.

I have tried north up but it didn't work for me.

For Carl, I also never use the awkward BaseCamp. MyRoute-app is so much better. Routes can me set up in minutes.

Bill
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
jimc wrote:

I do as well. For me 2D is clearer to get the info you need fast and get your eyes back on the road. Also north should always be up. Its how the deities intended.

OK Boomer.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I'm a big fan of the Garmin zumo line. I've had at least three (the first one got lost and doesn't count) and they have steadily improved over the years, though occasionally they've taken a step backwards in the process.

I am a strong and obnoxiously vocal proponent of NOT using your phone for on-bike navigation, for the simple reason that if your phone still has reception, you probably haven't ridden far enough to be on a proper adventure.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I am a strong and obnoxiously vocal proponent of NOT using your phone for on-bike navigation, for the simple reason that if your phone still has reception, you probably haven't ridden far enough to be on a proper adventure.
Some phone based navigation apps have the ability to download maps and run in an offline mode. Even Google maps lets you download big chunks
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
So it looks like I will be sticking with the Zumo line. Now to figure out which one. Thanks everyone and keep them coming.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
So it looks like I will be sticking with the Zumo line. Now to figure out which one. Thanks everyone and keep them coming.
I recommend the XT.

It is light years better than the 660.

I still am learning what it can do, but my riding tours this fall have been affected by Lostboater's big trip.

Bill
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Touring300 wrote:
This is my GPS....
That's cute...

What's his name?

Can you upgrade or get a new model any time you wish or is he going to be jealous and complain??

Only kidding, mate...

I use often both, the paper map to purposely try new tracks, and the GPS to cut as quick as possible across the cities or for deliveries...
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I recommend the XT.

It is light years better than the 660.

I still am learning what it can do, but my riding tours this fall have been affected by Lostboater's big trip.

Bill
I think Cruiseman agrees with you. Just not sure I want to spend that kind of cash. Sure looks nice though.

@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
I think Cruiseman agrees with you. Just not sure I want to spend that kind of cash. Sure looks nice though.

I just check it on the Garmin site...

It does have all the features and I think you own it to yourself for a very nice Christmas present...

It does look like the winner...
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
It's Beeline for me. I like the way the information is presented.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
Some phone based navigation apps have the ability to download maps and run in an offline mode. Even Google maps lets you download big chunks
Yep. And you can sew conductive filament into the ends of your gloves to deal with the touch screen. And put it in a big case so that when you drop it off the bike it doesn't get too banged up.

Or you can just get a purpose-built GPS and call it a day.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
It's Beeline for me. I like the way the information is presented.
Never heard of this. Or at least I don't recall hearing about it. I really like the simplicity and minimalist system. It really gives you everything you need to just navigate. Thanks for that.

@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Yep. And you can sew conductive filament into the ends of your gloves to deal with the touch screen. And put it in a big case so that when you drop it off the bike it doesn't get too banged up.

Or you can just get a purpose-built GPS and call it a day.
true true, a dedicated is better. (never was a debate)

one reason I don't mount my phone for nav (more applicable before my supertech) is that I've never liked the idea of having my phone baking in the Sun.

I did have a TomTom Rider several years ago but frankly it sucked. only used it when I had to.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
+1
Google maps + smartphone
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
one reason I don't mount my phone for nav (more applicable before my supertech) is that I've never liked the idea of having my phone baking in the Sun.
This is also a problem. The glass front on most modern smart phones results in solar gain when exposed to direct sunlight. It can be enough to overheat (and shut down) the phone.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Never heard of this. Or at least I don't recall hearing about it. I really like the simplicity and minimalist system. It really gives you everything you need to just navigate. Thanks for that.

Mind you, we are back at getting stuck with a mobile...

I also wonder if it still works without a proper data signal from your carrier...
@2wheelsdan avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300 supertech

Hooked
@2wheelsdan avatar
GTS300 supertech
UTC quote
Like many others, I too have upgraded from a Garmin 660 to a Zumo XT. Basecamp still sucks. For a lot of trips I will plan a route with ridewithgps.com. You can download a gpx file as a track and load that into the XT. You don't get turn by turn directions, but your route is displayed on the map, and it does notify you if you are off route. It also lets you know distance to end of route. A lot of times that's all I need or want.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
Mind you, we are back at getting stuck with a mobile...

I also wonder if it still works without a proper data signal from your carrier...
Yes, the Beeline Moto works without cell service. I often travel across areas where I am without a signal and then the navigation still functions perfectly.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
Yes, the Beeline Moto works without cell service. I often travel across areas where I am without a signal and then the navigation still functions perfectly.
Thanks for answering that. But your phone needs to be paired with it while riding, is that correct?
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
Touring300,

I also am an old map guy. I expect if I did a lot of backroad solo riding I would
have gotten into GPS. Despite not having GPS, everyone else in my riding group
has GPS.

When leading group rides, I map memorize every turn on the route. When possible,
I pre-ride the route. If I get in trouble on turns, I ask the scoot behind me (all have
GPS).

I do acknowledge that GPS is an amazing tool that seems to be getting even better.
I am just an old dog that has it tough learning new tricks.

Bob Copeland
Just an old Navy Man that is still dead-reckoning.
Just an old Navy Man that is still dead-reckoning.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Thanks for answering that. But your phone needs to be paired with it while riding, is that correct?
You are welcome and yes, that's correct. Fairly low energy consumption though.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
I should add: the phone stays in my bag or jacket, once the route is set, you don't need to interact with the phone and the display stays off.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
UTC quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
I do acknowledge that GPS is an amazing tool that seems to be getting even better.
I am just an old dog that has it tough learning new tricks.

Bob Copeland
I remember being on a cruise ship once and the captain gave a talk where he said that although outmoded, he took great joy in occasionally taking out his personal sextant to verify the vessels position. Map reading is a similar skill that is dying out with the passage of time.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
Touring300,

As an old map guy, I generally know which way we should be headed. On our
last group ride to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the leader of the subgroup
I was riding in had his GPS fail or go wrong. I pulled up next to him to help sort
out the situation. In fact, with his GPS out, he had no idea of where we were at
or which way to go.

I pulled out a local detailed map. I took the lead and we caught up with the
rest of the ride groups at the next rest stop. On the same extended ride, those
using Google Maps kept getting redirected to the shortest route - not the scenic
route we wanted to travel on.

I really am not a Luddite or member of the Flat Earth Society. Or, maybe I am.
Just give me a map.

Bob Copeland
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
You are welcome and yes, that's correct. Fairly low energy consumption though.
So that is not a deal breaker.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Touring300 wrote:
I remember being on a cruise ship once and the captain gave a talk where he said that although outmoded, he took great joy in occasionally taking out his personal sextant to verify the vessels position. Map reading is a similar skill that is dying out with the passage of time.
He would have enjoyed using his sextant in a middle of a storm, as much as when I'm try to find a road in an old map no longer current or that has being folded so many times that it has holes in it...

It is all good and romantic, but there are obvious reasons of why those skills are dying...

Then again, when the battery goes flat, all bets are off...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0298s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0109s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]