@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
The rim is 8", but the trailer tire is so much wider that the rim must be too. I've called Scooterworks in Chicago and the have a sidecar wheel hub that may be the solution
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Ok everyone,

I'm throwing out another idea and I could use your input. If I were to cut away the existing 3/4" spindle, and have it replaced with a Vespa Fork Link Shaft 20mm (see photo) and welded to the frame, wouldn't I then be able to mount a 10" wheel hub and then a rim/tire for the sidecar?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Well gang,

Thanks for all your comments and advice. I've solved the problem. I took the 20mm fork link shaft and had a fabricator remove the original spindle and weld on the replacement, so I've now got a rolling sidecar frame!!!

My new question is, getting a fender for the sidecar wheel. My thinking is to purchase a Vespa front fender and have it fabricated to close up the fork hole at the top so it has the same 'Vespa' look. overall thoughts?

Second, are there bushings I need to install between the top of the frame and underside of the sidecar to cushion the ride? if so, where can I get them?

Lastly, the seat. I know scooterworks carries them, but not sure if it will fit my sidecar, does anyone have alternate suggestions/resources for a seat?

Thanks all
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like a good solution.
Here are some things you might try:
1. Seat - you can make a pretty convincing seat, without a lot of work.
- Use a piece of thin plywood (1/4 or 3/8") cut to shape for bottom and back.
- Use L bracket from hardware store to connect the two - is there anything they can connect to in your scooter body? You can drill holes in the bottom of your tub. 2 should do.
- Assuming yes, put carriage bolts through the board to align with holes - they can be sticking out for the rest of this.
- Buy a piece of foam about 1.5" thick.
- Buy some material to cover. Both available on Amazon cheap. It could look really nice with some Alcantara, or perhaps some diamond stitch with matching blue thread? (see photos below)
- Cut foam to shape to match boards, use double stick tape if needed to hold, while you wrap the material over the edge and staple to the back. Easiest to do if you have the material face down and put the foam on it - then the board on the foam - like a sandwich. Then you can staple from above.
- If you body has bolt holes, put the bolts through the bottom and bolt - use the back bolt holes as pins - if you can't access.
Don't cut your board too close to net fit. You will need room on sides for the material to wrap - and still allow it to fit.

Rubber isolators:
- Post some pics of frame and tub attachment points.

Fender:
- Sounds nice. One way you could tackle the issue of the hole nicely - Add a little light to the top of the fender (cut a larger hole if needed to fit it.
- See example of lights below. You would have to find one that would cover the hole - but it could look nice on top and give you a finish without welding.

Everything below available inexpensively on amazon.
Alcantara - suede like - looks nice
Alcantara - suede like - looks nice
Period correct?  This might look cool
Period correct? This might look cool
Some kind of fender light - it could be tall or low profile like this.  Battery operated even - like a bike light - perhaps.  You may still need some welding - or some well placed bolts and flat bar stock to attach.
Some kind of fender light - it could be tall or low profile like this. Battery operated even - like a bike light - perhaps. You may still need some welding - or some well placed bolts and flat bar stock to attach.
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Thanks Charlieman,
I'm so psyched with my solution. I'll get some pics of the tub and frame attachment points. Love the look of the diamond pattern stitching, but is there fabric sold with that pattern? I'd love to make my own seat, but I may decide to go to a local upholsterer we know (pending $$). Cool idea about covering the fender hole with a light. I was actually looking at a GS 150 fender because it is seamless on top.
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
DUDE!!!

you're a Rockstar!! that's awesome
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Charlieman. I've ordered the diamond stitched material for building the seat. I was trying to source the seat catches (see pics), but they're only in Czech. Any chance you might know of a more local source?
Also, any link you might share regarding a mudguard light is appreciated. I know my scooter headset has an unused orange wire in it which I think is an auxiliary, but not sure if I can connect a sidecar taillight/mudguard light to it.
Seat catch - male
Seat catch - male
Seat catch - female
Seat catch - female
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
Post a couple pics inside the tub of the sidecar so I can see what you are working with.
Is it completely smooth - or are there some anchor points of various sorts?

I'll pitch you back a solution once I see inside - there are lots of opportunities here.
No need for Czech fancy clips I don't think.
Let's see what your working with.
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
See pics
Forward tub
Forward tub
Rear tub
Rear tub
Full tub
Full tub
UTC

Hooked
px 125 disc

Hooked
px 125 disc
UTC quote
As for the lights, I just spliced mine into the wiring to the rear lights ( tail and brake) under the tank, and used a small trailer type socket connection mounted on the side of the sidecar so easily detachable if needed
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Can you share examples of the connector?
UTC

Hooked
px 125 disc

Hooked
px 125 disc
UTC quote
Stollerscoot wrote:
Can you share examples of the connector?
This is an amazon link over this side of the pond, but I'm sure you'll find an equivalent.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DN8NV5S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_22?smid=ADYI280RTIFDM&psc=1
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
That female bracket at the back will lock the seat in place.

I think I would:
1. Fashion a bottom and back plate out of plywood.
Use cardboard to make a template for your shape, then trace out on plywood.
I'd be tempted to let the bottom it sit on the tubular frame.
2. Buy some straight brackets at the hardware store or like these https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Straight-inch,20-Brackets-Included/dp/B07QJ9HSK2/ref=mp_s_a_1_16_maf_1?crid=1FX5JRJLO53HO&keywords=metal+straight+bracket&qid=1693446766&sprefix=metal+straight+bracke%2Caps%2C275&sr=8-16
Use a vice to clamp it and bend it in an s shape with a hammer - just like the part you posted above. This will be what locks the seat in place.
3. Use some L brackets to attach the back and bottom wood pieces.
4. Attach an additional two pieces of straight bracket to the bottom piece of wood - sticking out a few inches toward the front of the tub.

Now connect that a bracket u made to the back of the chair. You can lower it in place by sliding it in the slot that's on the back already.

Use a couple rubber grommets to steady the back from tilting left and right, and to creat soft friction so that when u slide the chair back into the existing slot, the rubber grommets interfere with the tubs existing back plate.

You may not need anything else - but u can opt to use the two straight brackets I mentioned, sticking out a couple inches, to bolt the bottom to the tub.

Conversely - you could put hinges under the seat and bolt those to the tub bottom. You could probably come up with a way to use that back tab that's already on the tub to latch the seat in place. This way u could tilt the seat forward to access that area and use it to carry a few tools - or a battery!

As for the light - idk.
Maybe there is a symmetrical Vespa tail light that would cover it.
There are also endless choices to browse on Amazon. U can use Andy's idea - good one - or buy a rechargeable that plugs in with led.
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Charlieman et, al,

I'm now i search of a fender/mudguard that will fit the 10" sidecar wheel and NOT look like those crappy trailer fenders. I had ordered the fender below since it should fit the 10" wheel, but it looked out of proportion:
https://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Fenders/GS150MUDGUARD_2

I saw the attached image on the Scooter 99 site. Does anyone have a resource, suggestion, idea to help me fit a fender? I've looked into the Cozy sidecar fender, but my concern is the two bolt holes which wouldn't match my sidecar frame.

As always, thanks for the help.

Oh, also, I was deciding on adding turn signals and came across this battery option https://cycl.bike/products/winglights-360-fixed. wondered if anyone had a simple solution (I'd rather not wrangle wires).
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Hey friends,
Those of you who celebrated I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Boy have I got updates on my scooter sidecar build. I solved the axel issue by having a local fabricator weld a new Vespa specific axel to my sidecar frame, I've added a 10" rim and tire so I now have a rolling frame.
Stages of sidecar creature comforts using an old IKEA chair which I cut down to shape and brought Amazon fabric to a local upholsterer for the seat. Mounted latch on the back of seat, cut wedges for underneath and inserted Neodymium magnets to anchor the base to the steel tub. interior is covered with automotive carpeting and added diamond fabric along the edges. Sidecar fender usually for a front fender welded solid and mounted. Finishing some touches and will have the fender primed and painted to match the tub and scooter. Love to hear feedback, suggestions, etc.
New Axel
New Axel
10" rim on axel
10" rim on axel
Rolling frame
Rolling frame
Ikea
Ikea
cut down to shape
cut down to shape
Back
Back
Wedges, magnets inserted
Wedges, magnets inserted
completed seat
completed seat
Padded edges
Padded edges
Fender
Fender
Tub on frame
Tub on frame
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
Oh man.
Looks great!

Fender/mud guard really works.
So much nicer than the odd trailer guard for US market that was used. Always looked like an afterthought on an otherwise classic shape.

This thing is going to be such a head turner. Everyone is going to want to talk to you. Prepare for random strangers waving - even in the understated New England town I think you're living in.

🙂.

Great outcome
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Charlie man,
Thanks for the kind words! You e been such a help and friend throughout this process. One thing I still need to work on is a tonneau cover for the sidecar. Don't know if I need to have a custom cover made or if there are covers out there that I can simply purchase and add fasteners to the tub.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0306s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0230s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]