OP
UTC

Lurker
LX50

Lurker
LX50
UTC quote
Cranks and turns over fine sometimes. Then, randomly, starter will crank and crank but won't start. Will try for days and nothing. Then, randomly, will.

I've done the following to no avail: checked batt voltage under load (good), wriggled every wire I can find, wriggled the kill switch, key, and starter button (nothing), and replaced the fuel tap, fuel line, and spark plug.

Am told it could be the CDI. Thoughts on that? Other suggestions?

Any help very appreciated.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Check the kill switch. I had something similar happen. I would lose power momentarily while riding. Turned out to be a problem with the kill switch.
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"
UTC quote
I recently watched one of Robot's videos in which he diagnosed a similar issue. Believe it or not it was a faulty brake light switch that would not allow the scooter to start. I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt, but it shouldn't be too hard to check. Turn the ignition switch on and squeeze the brake handles one at a time. If the brake light doesn't come on, it could be that.

@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2

Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC quote
Go back to the basics. You need spark, fuel and compression. It could be a loose plug or bad plug. Could be low compression. The valves could need adjusting. If its the brake switch it won't crank. The kill switch it won't crank. I can't remember if this has the kill switch relay that will let it crank but no start. Check for spake and fuel and let us know.
OP
UTC

Lurker
LX50

Lurker
LX50
UTC quote
Thanks. Fuel is fine. Pulled line from carb. Fuel flows when cranking. Plug has spark. Doubt it's a compression issue since when it does run, it runs fine. Also, doesn't die after running. This is a 'either it starts or it doesn't' kind of issue.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
westu1 wrote:
Thanks. Fuel is fine. Pulled line from carb. Fuel flows when cranking. Plug has spark. Doubt it's a compression issue since when it does run, it runs fine. Also, doesn't die after running. This is a 'either it starts or it doesn't' kind of issue.
But does the plug have spark when fitted and under compression? A bad plug can show a spark when held against the outside of the engine, but fail (usually broken resistor in the insulator) under compression.

Try a new plug - this will pretty definitely eliminate that. Not totally mind, new != tested and working.
OP
UTC

Lurker
LX50

Lurker
LX50
UTC quote
Jinx, thank you for responding. Yes, replaced plug w new. No difference.

Am still wondering about the CDI. Does anyone have experience with how they fail?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Is this a 2T or 4T LX50?
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
westu1 wrote:
You explained there is fuel and there is spark and the engine is cranking. If it is cranking things like the kill switch or the side stand sensor aso do not cause your problem. Then the starter will not work.

You say it is a 'either it starts or it doesn't' kind of issue. When it starts, how does it start? Just immediately as you are used to or does it need some longer cranking than usual before it starts? And once started: does the engine run stable immediately?
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC quote
Connectors on CDI's do go bad and can cause this kind of grief. Check that the wires are all seated in the CDI. When running give the connector a wiggle. Also check your ground cables they could be dodgy as well.
@mopmop avatar
UTC

Hooked
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'

Hooked
@mopmop avatar
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'
UTC quote
westu1 wrote:
Jinx, thank you for responding. Yes, replaced plug w new. No difference.

Am still wondering about the CDI. Does anyone have experience with how they fail?
I've had a CDI fail on a 2007 LX50, but in my case it just didn't want to start at all anymore. Changed the CDI and all was fine.

So I did not have the intermittent thing you have.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
You explained there is fuel and there is spark and the engine is cranking. If it is cranking things like the kill switch or the side stand sensor aso do not cause your problem. Then the starter will not work.
Many carb'd model's kill-switch circuitry will happily allow the engine to be turned over without allowing it to start.
Quote:
You say it is a 'either it starts or it doesn't' kind of issue. When it starts, how does it start? Just immediately as you are used to or does it need some longer cranking than usual before it starts? And once started: does the engine run stable immediately?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0255s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0028s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]